Topic: Recording a Concert with Audacity

So I'm in a choir, and we have a concert this Saturday. We have some omnidirectional mics and speakers a sound board. I have a laptop with Linux and Audacity. I have cables to connect it all up tickety boo. Having just listened to the Anniversary show, I was wondering if Teague et. al. could pass on any advice regarding recording with Audacity for long periods of time without it going BOOM.

splat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Recording a Concert with Audacity

It's very unstable with Windows 7 - never tested it on Linux, but that they'd be like that with any major OS makes me worry. It works fine on Mac OSX, this much I know.

You might want to split the outgoing feed into two computers and roll on both, just to be safe. Aside from that, Audacity itself isn't that complicated. Hopefully the sound off the board is good stuff. If so, you should be fine.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not to be that guy, but have you considered borrowing or renting one or two location sound recorders for the night to use as backup? I'm loathe to trust software alone for live application. I've used an Edirol R4 Pro on many occasions and it's worked flawlessly; I've also heard good things about the Zoom H4N.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it worked. I did give it a trial run the night before by recording off of the CD player RCA out for a few hours to check if it was stable. The output off the sound board at the concert was not ideal, but Audacity didn't crash (huzzah). "Let's just stick a wire out of the box and record it onto a laptop" was somewhere around plan G, after renting or borrowing proper equipment fell through, so that it worked at all seems to be mission accomplished.

Thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Np, glad it worked.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down