Topic: HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS review by Dorkman

What if Hansel and Gretel, after surviving their ordeal in the gingerbread house, dedicated their lives to ridding the world of witches? The latest in the current vogue of dark and gritty takes on fairy tales, HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS — like all the others in the trend — had promise as a concept. And, like the others in the trend, it had no idea what to do with it.

Were it not for the presence of Jeremy Renner and reasonably solid production value, you could easily have convinced me that this was a direct-to-video or SyFy Channel offering. But no, that’s unfair — SyFy Channel movies at least have a sense of campy fun, which this film sorely lacks. Instead of embracing the inherent silliness of the concept — of acknowledging and running with the sheer ridiculousness — HANSEL & GRETEL tries so hard to convince you it’s not silly, no sir; it’s actually badass, like WANTED or something.

But their witch-hunting gear and tactics are dull and unimaginative — the action beats mostly consist of sneaking up on witches in the woods and getting into fistfights with them — and the only even slightly tongue-in-cheek H&G joke is a plot point about Hansel needing regular insulin injections, because he contracted diabetes from the incident at the Gingerbread House.

(I frankly wonder how much the writer even bothered to study the story for inspiration — there’s no reference to the trail of breadcrumbs, but there’s a reference to someone’s porridge being “just right.” Look, movie. Either you’re going to do the wink-wink-nudge-nudge fairy tale tomfoolery or you’re not. You can’t just throw in a single reference and call it a day. Go all in or don’t go at all.)

At 88 minutes, it’s on the short end of the feature spectrum. I’ve seen some 90-ish minute movies lately that felt like they were three hours, so on the one hand it was a relief to watch a movie that didn’t drag its feet. Unfortunately, one of the reasons it feels like a quick film is because it’s so superficial, racing through the plot, introducing characters and plotlines and dismissing them on a whim. Peter Stormare is wasted here, and the film still feels like it’s in the “setting the stage” first act even as it ramps up to the climax. It tries to be an “edgy” take on the material by going for over-the-top violence and gore, but without a satirical story or clever execution as a foundation, the flying viscera just feels ugly and mean.

There are no characters to root for, no exciting action, no cleverness, no wit, no fun, and no point. What there is, is an overwhelming sense of been there, done that. Don’t bother.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS review by Dorkman

Why do you do this to yourself, man.

Great review, but, what about your soul?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Great review, but, what about your soul?

Dorkman has read all Twilight books. He has no soul left.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It's Dredd, man. He hit one perfecta, and now he's on a gambler's high. He's playing every race and betting on the genre movies.

I hear A Good Day to Die Hard is a mudder, Mike. Could fare well in the wet. Remember your old pal Zarban if she pays out for ya.

/pops a lemon drop

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

"Fugue For Zarbans"

*clears throat*  *blows pitch pipe*    A-five six seven eight...

You bet on John MClane
or you'll get buttf*cked, Dwayne
He's got a Zippo that can detonate an aeroplane.
Die Hard
Die Hard
The FBI's a bunch of friggin' tards
But McClane is a real Die Hard
Die hard
Die hard

And now here comes Hans
He wants those bearer bonds
He brought a multi-ethnic strike team and two German blonds 
Just so
Theo
can crack the giant safe with all the dough
But McClane he just says ho ho ho
Uh oh
Bye, bro

Ellis ain't no white knight
Powell crashed his black and white
McClane's got no shoes and he's afraid of heights
Yip-pee
Ki-yay
You're about to have a real bad day
If you make fun of John McClane's toupee
Yip-pee
Ki-yay

You will regret you laughed
You'll soon be understaffed
When McClane's up in your ventilator shaft.
Die Hard
Die Hard
You can call him Roy Rogers, pard
He doesn't care if he gets bloody and charred
Die Hard
Die Hard

I tell ya, this McClane
He can be inhumane
Just ask the Russian ballet dancer hangin' from a chain
Die Hard
Die Hard
That dude is a real Die Hard
Even when his feet are full of shards
Die Hard
Die Hard

And if you touch his wife
McClane will end your life
With just one bullet, like Barney Fife
Die Hard
Die Hard
So if you ever drop your guard
You'll be a stain on Century Boulevard
Die Hard
Die Hard

This is the last place I expected to see a lengthy Guys and Dolls joke.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy crap that is AWESOME!

For those not properly schooled in all things Runyonesque....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Well, thanks.  I regret it's not completely accurate to the original, with the proper overlapping and so on.  But hey, it was late.    Yippee ki yay, Mister Fuguer.

Zarban wrote:

It's Dredd, man. He hit one perfecta, and now he's on a gambler's high. He's playing every race and betting on the genre movies.

And CLOUD ATLAS. I'm due.

I'm actually trying to start doing movie reviews as a regular thing. A freelance gig the last month or so has boned my going-to-and-writing-about-movies time, but I've got MoviePass so I'll probably be reviewing just about everything that comes out, except probably for the lame comedies.

Not that I wouldn't see DIE HARD WITH A 'SPLOSION anyway...

Thumbs up Thumbs down