Topic: #55 - Grab Bag 2: Bagging Grabbier

Sequels!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #55 - Grab Bag 2: Bagging Grabbier

I don't remember which DIF you guys mentioned that Jennifer Lawerence is so nice and laid back but.... yeah.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-02-26 14:11:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's hope that Jennifer Lawrence and Halle Berry bring their Oscars to the set of X-Men: Days of Future Past so that Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart CAN SEE WHAT ONE LOOKS LIKE.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I can't say I entirely agree with Brian and Teague's assessment of the current Daily Show. I still find it to be pretty good, the parts I find most funny are probably those moments when Jon Stewart goes off script. I confess I rarely laugh out loud, but then I never really consider it to be a full comedy show (?). I find Colbert's schtick can get tiring, and I find myself taking a break from his show for several weeks - at least with the Daily Show there are others on there who submit their reports (though admittedly some of them are less funny than others).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still watching The Daily Show, but I pretty much agree with Brian on the subject. I've always found Colbert to be the funnier one, and I think his show is hands down the more clever program now. I like that he's using the character sort of as performance art and drawing attention to bizarre political mechanics with things like his running for President or the Super PAC. Every time he had Trevor Potter on the show to peel back an extra layer of scum it was amazingly illuminating.

I was going to try out the original House of Cards, but I guess I'll save myself the trouble. Speaking of British TV shows about politics; "The Thick of It" is one of the greatest sitcoms I've ever seen. It just ended this year with a fourth season that was a Hulu co-production, and currently all four seasons are available for viewing on the free version of Hulu. Really smart, hysterical show. Despite the absurdity of some of the situations it feels very real. Peter Capaldi is amazing, and not just when he's shouting obscenities at everybody.

A good metric for whether or not you'd enjoy the show is the movie In The Loop from 2009, which is a pseudo spin-off featuring some of the same cast, some of whom play their roles from the show. Very funny movie, but the series is better.

Anyway, that was just a recommendation I had, apropos of nothing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting news regarding the Daily Show:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/J … 53328.html
http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/jon-ste … rosewater/

I like John Oliver, but I wonder how the show's tone might change with him as host. It will be interesting to see someone else behind the desk after Jon has been there for so long.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Used to like Kilborn, took several years of Jon before I could watch him. He'd had one or two prior talk shows that left me cold. I warmed up to him 3 or 4 years ago finally. Oliver will be fine, Tomahawk should pitch them a regeneration effect.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oliver has taken over before, I think, when Jon Stewart was sick. The writers will have lots of time to come up with some overall arc for his tour of duty. Now, if they wanted to be daring, they'd put the guy from The Last Airbender (who's name I won't attempt to spell and am too lazy to look up) in charge. Make it a commentary on Gore selling his TV network to an Arab company.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I listened to this the other day, and heard something about Sound City, and a Bond Documentary. Now, the first one isn't too hard to find, but there's a pretty sizeable chunk of Bond Docs out there. Trey, which one was it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

there's a pretty sizeable chunk of Bond Docs out there.

It was probably Everything Or Nothing

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog