Topic: Your First Short Film

I think it was Teague that mentioned doing an episode about their first short films during the livestream today and that got me getting out my first short 'Paul vs. Lewis'. So I thought, 'Hey, let's put this online and try and get the other DIF-folk to do the same'.

So, without further ado - Paul vs. Lewis!

Nothing fancy, I know. But it was good fun to do and taught me a lot about the basics of filmmaking. I couldn't use any sort of NLA back then as I had no way of capturing it on to my computer, so all the editing was done in-camera. Throughout the years, I've occasionally gone back to it and done some special editions with some colour grading, muzzle flashes and a soundtrack.

So go and find your oldest material you can find and put it up on here!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Your First Short Film

The wind in the mic at 0:35 actually provides some nice sound design.

Well, relatively nice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My first short film was back in 99, and I'm 100% sure the Hi8 tape has been missing since '03. Since then, it was lightsaber duel after lightsaber duel until I started "branching out" with Bad Day in 2010.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I made this in college in 2004. For some reason film students always feel the need to do a film about drugs. Something that held no interest for me until I read that films often used Flour as a film prop for coke.

This gave me the idea of Flour becoming an illegal drug in itself.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

It was one of those weird experiences where someone I've known for years had written his first film and asked me to do the shooting and editing over the course of a weekend.

Not too proud of it, but here it is http://youtu.be/_0Tw9Msni6s

Last edited by otero (2013-03-11 03:16:43)

Wow. I just watched this for the first time in ages and was suitably horrified. I couldn't afford a camera for the longest time but I still wanted to make films, so I taught myself animation using a free program called Anim8or, which was actually sort of awesome. This was after trying to teach myself to do traditional animation in Paint, which... y'know... was shitty. I put this on Youtube after the fact because some friends wanted to see it, I think I did it in 2006? Somewhere in that neighborhood.

It was for some Anim8or forum contest that was about Newton and his laws or something, so of course I went for the most obvious thing imaginable, and then... Not sure why I took it where I took it. Blocked in some countries due to the soundtrack being stolen from Smashmouth, so sorry to our foreign friends. But not really. You're the lucky ones.

So that was it... and I really haven't gotten much better since then.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down