Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

So it's like an American version of Trailer Park Boys?

Is there a guy like Bubbles? I love Bubbles.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

So it's like every other awesome William Friedkin movie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A little long read but it has interesting take on the path to stardom for Hollywood’s leading actors.

The New and Improved Leading Man

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Squiggly_P wrote:

I just watched Killer Joe.

Holy crap, that movie is 50% intense and 50% "what the fuck did I just watch?"
I don't currently have an opinion, except that if you want to watch a slow-burn movie about a bunch of trailer trash fucking up an insurance scam that becomes exceedingly brutal in the last reel and has a fucked up ending, run don't walk.

I never wanted to eat chicken again after seeing that movie...

Freaky Friedkin.

Just read an article regarding GI: JOE-Retaliation and I am actually getting a little more excited about it, with a new director, many new actors (including Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis) as well Ray Park coming back as Snack Eyes.
Its interesting that the movie is only making passing references to the original but the other than that it is a new story.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Retaliation seems like another one of those troubled productions. It was meant to come out last summer but was delayed 'to get converted to 3D', but I've read a couple reports that have said it was due to reshoots due in part to negative test screenings. Further, the original trailer strongly indicates that Tatum's Duke dies in the first act... but I recall reading that as Tatum's career has taken off (Magic Mike etc.) since the first GI Joe movie, the studio wanted more of him in the movie.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My understanding is that rather than do a lot of expensive reshoots to put Channing Tatum in the latter part of the movie, they just shot scenes where characters remembered him, then inserted shots of him from Magic Mike.

Everybody wins.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

redxavier wrote:

Well, Retaliation seems like another one of those troubled productions. It was meant to come out last summer but was delayed 'to get converted to 3D', but I've read a couple reports that have said it was due to reshoots due in part to negative test screenings.

It was actually for both reasons, I believe.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I heard that people liked the relationship between Tatum and Johnson, so they changed it to have Duke either not die early on or come back in some form later on.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, they reshot to have Tatum in it more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was also due to be released within weeks of battleship and if it would have hit the studio hard if this had bombed as well

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

As an unabashed fan of the first Gi Joe movie (which I maintain is exactly the approach these dumb toy movies should be taking, and a bloody masterpiece compared with Transformers and Battleship), I'm looking forward to seeing this one, but ya, the 1 year delay is worrying. Also, it's funny to see them trying to add Channing Tatum back in, as he was easily the worst thing about that first film. I don't know what the hell happened to the guy that he went from being completely terrible in that to charismatic and hilarious in 21 Jump Street within the span of like 2 years.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-03-13 22:32:36)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The guys mentioned Leap of Faith in comm a while back (Can't remember which one though hmm ), so I decided to check it out.

Really enjoyed it. Just a nice little movie with a top-of-his-game Steve Martin at the head. Loved it.

Definitely recommended.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

bullet3 wrote:

As an unabashed fan of the first Gi Joe movie (which I maintain is exactly the approach these dumb toy movies should be taking, and a bloody masterpiece compared with Transformers and Battleship)

I thought I liked the first GI Joe movie but I watched it with a couple of mates this past weekend and we were all surprised by just how ghastly it is, we couldn't even enjoy it for the action. Terrible dialogue, nonsensical plot, dated CGI and some horrid acting converge to really dampen the fun, such that I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a superior to Transformers (at least the first one) and Battleship. Not that there's nothing of note in the whole thing. It also has about a million flashbacks which are clumsily added in at random points.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The new GI JOE movie looks like it could be dumb fun.  smile

I honestly am more interested in this new GI JOE that I was in the first one. Yeah, it could just be dumb fun

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You guys speak of Tatum like he's actually enjoyable to watch. I put him on the same line as Jonah Hill. He get's a good movie or two, but it's not like I'll follow his career with great interest.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

The guys mentioned Leap of Faith in comm a while back (Can't remember which one though hmm ), so I decided to check it out.

Really enjoyed it. Just a nice little movie with a top-of-his-game Steve Martin at the head. Loved it.

Yay, we win.

This made me feel like watching it again myself since I hadn't seen it in a while, and... goddam if Phillip Seymour Hoffman isn't in it,  doing a dry run of the "shaggy blond guy in the ensemble" character he'd play in Twister a little later.

It's like he spent his early career doing movies just so later we would say, "hey - I didn't remember Hoffman was in this!"

Haha, I saw that and thought pretty much the exact same thing...also... Meatloaf. Whatya know eh?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-03-19 02:45:40)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Tomahawk wrote:

You guys speak of Tatum like he's actually enjoyable to watch. I put him on the same line as Jonah Hill. He get's a good movie or two, but it's not like I'll follow his career with great interest.

Who's that again? I'm watching it for Dwayne Johnson and Ray Park smile
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/G-I-Joe.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

also... Meatloaf. Whatya know eh?

Also Liam Neeson before he had so many particular skills.   And that Amish kid who grew up to be a bad Inception architect.

And Ricky Jay credited as "scam consultant".

It's really quite a movie, that.

Tomahawk wrote:

You guys speak of Tatum like he's actually enjoyable to watch.

Really? I don't think anyone did that. hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

And that Amish kid who grew up to be a bad Inception architect.

Huh...didn't know he was in inception...but then I only saw it once. I know him as that kid from Mars Attacks.

Yep, it's definitely quite the thing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, considering it's basically Escape from New York in space, it isn't half bad.  Guy Pearce is clearly enjoying himself in his role.  I do wonder what happened with the bike chase sequence -- it feels like they green lit the pre-viz.

Make popcorn, check brain at door, enjoy.

"Seriously, who the fuck smokes anymore?"

I think it's pretty weak. The pg-13 really cripples it, there's nothing memorable about it in terms of action. You'd think an action movie on a space station would be awesome, but they don't do a lot with it.

Semi-related, I checked out Olympus has Fallen, the first of 2 Die Hard on a White House movies this year, and it's frustratingly mediocre. There's sections where it's ripping off Die Hard whole-sale that actually work quite well, but then there's other stuff that's just terrible. Cheesy ass patriotic music straight out of West Wing, the worst theatrically released CGI I've ever seen (seriously Asylum quality stuff), and a pretty sloppy screenplay.

It does make good use of its R-rating though, it goes a lot more brutal than you'd expect from this kinda movie (at least 50 people get shot or stabbed in the head throughout). That's what's annoying about it, there's pieces of it that are totally the 80s/90s throwback I want it to be, but not enough of it to overcome the bad stuff. Will be interesting to compare with White House Down in 3 months though, if only academically.

Thumbs up Thumbs down