Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

bullet3 wrote:

I think it's pretty weak. The pg-13 really cripples it, there's nothing memorable about it in terms of action. You'd think an action movie on a space station would be awesome, but they don't do a lot with it.

You do know about the unrated version, right ?!  smile  - maybe for that version they reinserted all the awesome.  cool

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nope, watched the unrated cut, there's basically nothing added back in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Nope, watched the unrated cut, there's basically nothing added back in.

Darn it. I guess they just chose not to go the Salt route and bring out an unrated version worthy of that 2nd dipping.  sad

Last edited by Fido (2013-03-24 18:49:01)

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, I was optimistic because the Taken unrated cut is actually excellent, and VASTLY better than the awful cut down US release, but no dice on this one.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saw Lockout and can only remember the part where they jump out of the space station and go into immediate freefall, because, you know, being in orbit is just like being really reallly high up in the sky. That and the whole inanity of the let's put our dangerous prisoners in a station above the earth thing made me roll me eyes a bit.

But I vaguely remember enjoying the whole thing despite these two complaints.

I just saw Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, which is another remake from Takashi Miike and is yet another case of the original (by Kobayashi) being much better. Throughout the whole thing, I was wondering what the point of remaking it was (besides telling the story in colour). I don't know, maybe someone who hasn't seen the original would like it (and perhaps end up preferring it due to its more modern look)?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did anyone else happen to stumble on to the new trailer for the Riddick movie that is coming out in September?

It looks like they are going to return to the style of Pitch black instead of the overly expansive universe of Chronicles. Which I am very happy about. This means it could end up going the way of Ghostbuster's 2 and the hangover 2, which isn't great but I loved Pitch Black so I wouldn't complain too much.

I know they are going to cram Karl Urban's character into this movie. So in some way it will be connected to chronicles, not sure if that is a positive or negative yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm really curious how they deal with the events of Chronicles. I mean, once you've jumped down that rabbit hole, it's kinda hard to climb out again. I have high hopes, though.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I believe the script opens with him being deposed from the throne (probably for being a terrible ruler) and left for dead, at which point mercenaries come after him. I know Karl Urban filmed a small cameo, so I'm guessing this all happens in the first 5 minutes and then we're on to a pitch-black style adventure.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'm really curious how they deal with the events of Chronicles. I mean, once you've jumped down that rabbit hole, it's kinda hard to climb out again. I have high hopes, though.

I love Chronicles and yes, the new film follows shortly after Chronicles, with Riddick being betrayed by the Necromongers, no doubt for working against their goals.
It sounds like more of a survival story, with Riddick again hunted by Mercs (hired by Karl Urban?)
It sounds like a blast and I love Vin Disel playing Riddick, regardless of the movie smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

because, you know, being in orbit is just like being really reallly high up in the sky.

Technically it's being really really high up in the sky, while going really fucking fast. So you know...half marks for that one.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-03-26 04:55:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

fireproof78 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You guys speak of Tatum like he's actually enjoyable to watch. I put him on the same line as Jonah Hill. He get's a good movie or two, but it's not like I'll follow his career with great interest.

Who's that again? I'm watching it for Dwayne Johnson and Ray Park smile
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/G-I-Joe.jpg

I have now seen G.I. JOE RETALIATION. And I was entertained.

I give the film three explosions out of four!

Are those regular 'splosions or BIGsplosions?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regular 'splosions.

Xtroid wrote:

I have now seen G.I. JOE RETALIATION. And I was entertained.

I give the film three explosions out of four!

I'm looking forward to reveling in non-content and a Darth Maul reprise.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched Wreck-It Ralph and Life of Pi the other day. Ralph was a lot of fun, altho I thought some of the voices were kind of weak choices.

Pi was terrific, and I quite liked the semi-ambiguous ending. However, I really don't think that ending needed 45 minutes of setup. The whole first act could go, in my opinion, with the exception of shortened versions of the interview start and the story about Pi's name.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I sort of stumbled across a diamond in the rough on Netflix yesterday. My buddy and I often watch cheesy b to z-grade movies on instant and riff on them, but we watched one called "Stake Land" that turned out to actually be really good.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg4NTYwNDc0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDg1NzM5NA@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

The name made us assume that it'd be pretty schlocky, but it ended up being a well made character story with some nice twists on vampire lore and a post-apocalyptic setting. It's a movie that's not afraid to take its time and trusts the audience, which was far and beyond anything we were expecting. It also had setups and payoffs that worked well, and questions and complaints we made near the beginning of the film were actually answered and resolved before the film ended. It actually sort of reminded me of "Monsters", but I ended up liking this even more than "Monsters." I definitely give it my recommendation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I'm watching MST3K's take on I Was a Teenage Werewolf, with Michael Landon, right? And the cops are investigating the first killing, and one cop says this to the chief about any circuses or farms in the area that might have wild animals:

Cop Who Played the Dad on Lost in Space wrote:

There's a mink farm about three miles north of here. But they're all baby mink. First thing they do is cut off their teeth.

And for some reason the chief does NOT say:

Chief Who Looks Like Mr. Weatherbee from Archie Comics wrote:

No way! What the fuck?! Are you serious? They do that?! That is fucked up! Is that legal? Shouldn't we arrest them for animal cruelty? This is 1957, for godsake, not the Dark Ages!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

And for some reason the chief does NOT say:

Chief Who Looks Like Mr. Weatherbee from Archie Comics wrote:

No way! What the fuck?! Are you serious? They do that?! That is fucked up! Is that legal? Shouldn't we arrest them for animal cruelty? This is 1957, for godsake, not the Dark Ages!

Apparently this was all the rage in the 1950's?
hmm
I just don't know...

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-04-16 03:35:03)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban...I take it you haven't been around a farm much have you?

There are much worse things being cut off animals every day.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-04-16 03:33:12)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

An early episode of Mad Men has Betty straight up shoot her neighbor's bird over a modest domestic dispute. Animal cruelty wasn't really a thing back then, I think.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BDA Brita'd it  lol

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Ryan Koo's short film AMATEUR, a prequel to the feature MANCHILD he's directing (only project I've ever backed on Kickstarter).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

BDA Brita'd it  lol

?

When did Britta get changed to mean "added a perfectly relevant point to a conversation in progress"?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-04-18 01:02:00)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

When did Britta get changed to mean "added a perfectly relevant point to a conversation in progress"?

After the Sophie B. Hawkins dance, that's when.

She brought it back.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-04-18 04:48:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

Ryan Koo's short film AMATEUR, a prequel to the feature MANCHILD he's directing (only project I've ever backed on Kickstarter).

That is really fucking good, I need to take a look at this kickstarter

Thumbs up Thumbs down