Topic: What's Going On: Changes to Come

Since March of 2009, the friends in your head have delivered over 235 episodes of conversation and commentary about movies, music, and other geek media under the name "Down in Front." Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that the phrase/title "down in front," as it pertains to movie review and discussion, is in fact a registered trademark of parties unaffiliated with our show.

After discussion with the trademark owners, we have agreed to cease using their trademark on our website, logos, merchandise, social media, and future content. They have, however, permitted us to keep references to the trademark in the aforementioned 235 archived episodes, with the addition of a new intro identifying them with the new name.

Our show, of course, has never been about the name, but about the conversations — and, more and more as they years have gone by, about the community that's grown around them. In the years to come, we plan to continue producing the same show you've come to know and love, but under a different name -- and we could use the aforementioned community's help with that.

We weren't planning to have to come up with a new name for the show and, frankly, we're a little stumped, so we're open to suggestions. It should be interesting, memorable, and unique. We're also looking at the potential to expand outside of movie discussion/commentary, so something that could serve as a more general "brand" for a range of geeky interests would be good.

Oh, and something not already trademarked. Kind of important, as it turns out.

For now, the show will be on hiatus until the first weekend of May while we get all our ducks in a row. Follow @difpodcast on Twitter (soon to be changed) or this thread for further updates.

Note: Please don't go into legal precedent or talk about trademark law in this thread. Just, please don't.  smile

ANNOUNCEMENT: We have made a decision on the name, thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What's Going On: Changes to Come

I have some, but not total, support for my proposed new show name:

Shark Brain

Who's with me?

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/sharkbrain.jpg

Shark Brain is a bad name and you should feel bad.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

You and me, Holden. We're holding the line.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't hear you proposin' nothin'.

Much less having Muppet-based art to back it up.

I'm waiting for Zarban to suggest Stokes 'n Folks.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

My first suggestion was actually The Teague Show, but it was vetoed.

SHARK BRAIN

SHARK BRAIN

SHARK BRAIN

...although Stokes 'n Folks is fun.

EDIT: So both Trey and I aren't comfortable having the entire show title be a reference to us.

What if we split it? Stokesy and Teague's Cavalcade of Comedy!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DIF - Dialogues Involving Film

or 

Downin' Front

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Movie(or Cinema) Thoughts
Movie Thinkie
Friends in Head
Movie Friends
Cinema Chaps
Thought Projections

Ya that's all I got for now.......XD

Stokes 'n Folks.  Great plan.   Whoever cast Richard Harris as Dumbledore would approve.

Jp12x wrote:

DIF - Dialogues Involving Film

or 

Downin' Front

Excellent suggestions, we went there ourselves as well.   However, variations on the current name and acronym are not an option.

Allow me to make a case against Friends in Your Head... Sounds like a mental health podcast and/or a psycho killer's podcast. Either way derangement is involved. Great tagline, terrible title.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Magic Beans Talk
Up in Rear

I'll try to brainstorm some better/more serious ideas in between studying for finals.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Stokes 'n Folks.  Great plan.   Whoever cast Richard Harris as Dumbledore would approve.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2121/statler.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, now we got ourselves a ball game!

I'd like to point out that, while the Trademarksmen got you, Surrogates remains unscathed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OMG

Surrogates.

I... I... think I love it.

"Ripping Off Surrogates?"

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, who else just had a fucking panic attack?  Holy hell.  Well they're not getting my hoodie, I can tell you that right now.

Don't have a good suggestion off the top of my head, just wanted to say, snagged a few more shirts and a new sweatshirt, before they have to vanish,

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

I suggested we go with Friends in Your Head but for some reason that didn't get much traction.

Back when we were first trying to think of titles I suggested The Peanut Gallery -- which surprisingly isn't trademarked, at least not in the relevant field. Not sure that feels right for what the show has developed into, though.

Banned from the Web/Internet was suggested and I think that's funny, since we clearly aren't banned from anything.

The Show That Dare Not Speak Its Name strikes me as amusing but the novelty might wear off.

Or The Show With No Name? People might think we're bigger on Westerns than we are though.

EDIT:

iJim wrote:

the Trademarksmen

OMG

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I need to sleep on this.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

It seems a bit obvious, but has "The Intermission" been ruled out? I thought that name was solid when it was applied to the non-commentary episodes.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Snail wrote:

I think I need to sleep on this.

I'm pretty sure that title is too long.

But I think Friends in Your Head works well since it's sort of a catch phase for the podcasts, ie. "With (X number of) friends in your head," ie. ie, ie. ei ei o

Last edited by NateTheGreat (2013-04-15 04:45:05)

What about bringing back the sub-line that was tossed around now and again, and got its own shirt "Professionals, But Not at This"

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower