Topic: Creative Suite is dead.

Well, this is one way to stop software piracy. It's Creative Cloud from this point out. As someone who uses the products infrequently - I'm not sold on this model. If anyone wants to sell their old copy of CS6, cheap, let me know wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Creative Suite is dead.

Well, honestly don't blame them, they've been selling $1000 software that largely is just pirated by everyone not working professionally.

That being said, CS6 does everything I need, and is probably the first version of Premiere that's stable enough to do all the things I need smoothly in HD, so I'm happy sticking with what I have.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Um... Dave not long ago you were all...

Dave wrote:

Holy shit

$70 per month, all the Adobe.

What changed?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

It's good if you upgrade regularly or generate income from it, but with a baby on the way I want to reduce my monthly outgoings, not increase them.  At this stage a one-off purchase that takes me from CS2 to 6, and will do me for some time, seems a better use of funds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a fair point.

The subscription model does make it affordable to someone who could never afford to pay for it in one go but if you can or have your paying much much more.

The thing I take exception to is last time I checked it costs a third more to download to this side of the Atlantic than in the states.

Really? I thought we were the ones getting screwed on internet pricing, $70-90/month if you aren't on a cable plan and you want 20-30 mb/s

Also, looking over their pricing, it seems pretty goddamn reasonable.
If I only care about video editing with premiere for instance, that's 20/month, which is like nothing.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-05-07 23:19:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

$49.99 per month in the US which works out about £30 but no, they want £46.88 or $72 US

still could be worse. It's even more if your in a country that uses Euros!

Yeah, and the prices for creative cloud are really reasonable. However if you stop paying for the subscription you lose all access to software and services, meaning the cloud storage and sharing stuff becomes less valuable.

For me, wanting access to ps, pr, and ae, I'm looking at A$50 per month. This works out a lot cheaper than buying CS6, but I don't want ongoing expenses to continue using the software considering it doesn't make me money. As mentioned earlier - with the family expanding I want to reduce ongoing monthly costs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's say—hypothetically—that a person is still using Dreamweaver 2004 and Paint Shop Pro 9 and knows them really well. Is there any value in that person upgrading?

Hypothetically.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://imgur.com/4b9cV5O.jpg

*discreet cough*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wish they'd offer certain packages for a lower monthly cost, and not just one for $20 or all for $50. It's a good value for the Master Collection, but maybe I only need what was in the Production Premium package, and I used to upgrade for around $600 every 2 or 3 years for that. Now I gotta pay $600 every year...

I'm not a pro, I'm not dependent on this software, I just use it cause it's useful. And I personally can't justify paying $600/yr just to be able keep using it. I guess I'll stick with CS5 for a while. I use FCPX for editing anyway, and PS and AE CS5 are good enough for me at the moment.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're paying roughly $600 per year, yes.

But then look at what you're getting:
After Effects ($999-ish)
Premiere -  ($999-ish)
Photoshop - ($999-ish)
Illustrator - ($999-ish)
InDesign - ($999-ish)
Lightroom - ($499-ish)
SpeedGrade - ($999-ish)
Audition - ($499-ish)
Encore - ($999-ish)
Dreamweaver - ($999-ish)

..and some more, albeit vague apps you probably don't ever use anyway(kinda like InDesign for the most of us. I use it a fair bit, but most of us don't)

(prices are in "ish", because I can't find the single app prices on the web anymore, but you get my point)

It IS a fair price. Sure, it's a monthly payment, but in my eyes, that beats the hell out of paying for the apps I normally use in one go, (Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, SpeedGrade and Audition)As well as getting the latest versions available in for the same price when they're released.

http://tv.adobe.com/m/#!/watch/inside-c … ive-cloud/

Last edited by Tomahawk (2013-05-08 15:17:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, I'm not saying $600/yr is unfair for what you get. I just don't need all that, and I haven't had to pay that much to use the few apps I need in the past. CC is a great deal for lots of people, but it's more than I need and costs more than I can pay.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-05-08 16:29:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Those prices are galling. This can only be the result of a failure of competition in the marketplace.

It's preposterous to think that a single piece of consumer software should cost as much as the computer plus operating system it runs on. Software engineers should be starving, groveling animals, snuffling hungrily for morsels tossed to them by customers.

You know, like artists.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I don't begrudge a company turning a profit, I just want a copy of CS6 (and not at AU prices).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought they were going to keep selling CS6...  Is that not happening now?

Thumbs up Thumbs down