Re: The Rubik's Cube Thread

Solve a layer, solve a layer, solve a layer, pretty much.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, yeah. But your moves must be a bit different. I don't know.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*shrug* I learned online a long time ago, I think it's one of the standard ways-of-doing-it you can find.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:
Invid wrote:

I never managed to solve a rubik's cube back when they came out, although I could solve two sides. I think I COULD solve the pyramid puzzle, which just had four sides. That one was also easier to take apart and put together, iirc smile

This is the beginner error: You do NOT do "side by side", you (generally) do it layer by layer.

To be fair, I don't remember ever trying to solve the entire thing. It was just something you fiddled with. Doing two sides was a goal I set and achieved. Not sure if I ever did three sides or not. This was back when they first came out, so... (looks at Wiki) probably around age 12 by the time I ended up getting a no name version smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

I hate you.

My method has always been the same - it's the exact one MasterZap described. But I don't think it allows me to get it done in under 2 minutes most of the time. I couldn't follow your method, Teague, but it seems very different. Could you describe it a bit?

Same... it ends up at around 2-3 minutes generally...  so it's not the most efficient technique. But remember I had this thing when it was a *new thing* and was part of the "first wave" of solvers, so clearly we didn't figure out the "most efficient" method back then; Teague is clearly doing something in principle different which does "more things at once" somehow.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How long did it take you guys to get it down to that kind of time?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Couple months, I guess?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A friend of mine use to sit in our Logic class and monkey with the cube. He once took the stickers off and redid it to challenge himself more.

He was a special kind of crazy

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can actually make a cube unsolvable that way, it's a good way to fuck with someone who likes to solve cubes. If you feel like being a jerk.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

You can actually make a cube unsolvable that way, it's a good way to fuck with someone who likes to solve cubes. If you feel like being a jerk.

Fortunately, he only felt like messing with himself.
Though, I think that would be a very mean practical joke to do to someone else's cube

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You also can, or at least could, buy stickers to turn an unsolved cube into a solved one.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down