Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness and Sequel

I've made no secret regarding my enjoyment and positive feelings of Abrams' latest installment. However, that doesn't mean the movie isn't without its problems, and it becomes mired in narrative problems. This is my proposed list of fixes and rewrites to improve what could have been a great film.

It's new and fresh in my mind so I thought I would give it a go.

Also, spoilers, since it is still a recent release.

1. John Harrison stays John Harrison. The main problem that Into Darkness suffers from is the need to craft Harrison only to do a head fake and so, "Sorry, he's not really John Harrison. He is actually the world famous villain, Khan."

Actually, that's kind of silly. And when you read the writer's reasons, you realize that it is even more silly. So, keep Harrison as Harrison. I like the part of him not existing until a year ago (or however long) so keep that. Make him a product of genetic engineering to create supermen to fight against the bigger and stronger Klingons. Make him the first and still have the others just waiting to be activated to fight. Leave out Khan-period. No Nimoy appearance, no name drop, nothing like that. Harrison is a new breed, designed by Section 31 to fight a war with the Klingons.

2. The threat of war with the Klingons should be punched up more. In the original series of Star Trek (TOS) the Klingons were inspired by the USA's relationship with the Klingons. Well, what was the fear? That nuclear war would happen between the two powers. There should be a greater fear of war and what that war will bring if it happens.

3. Admiral Marcus needs to be the big bad. Regardless of Harrison's actions, and whether they appear to be motivated by his orders or independent thought, Marcus should be pulling the strings. When Harrison appears to have taken over the Vengeance, Marcus should have a back up plan. It should be his pride in his work (hubris) or Kirk's outwitting him that brings him down.

Considering that Marcus played Kirk to chase Harrison from the get go, that particular dynamic is already in the movie. Harrison plays Kirk to get on the Vengeance, and to kill Marcus. That whole part of the movie works decently, with maybe a touch up here or there. However, when Marcus realizes that Kirk is trying to work with Harrison, he alters the plan. He goes back to the base where the Vengeance was being built, taking the torpedoes with him. Emergency transporter codes are your friend here.

Harrison does his whole "I'll kill Captain Kirk" bit here, preparing to destroy the Enterprise and then on to Marcus. However, the rest of Starfleet appears led by...Admiral Pike.

4. Admiral Pike doesn't die. Sorry, his death was so throw away emotional garbage that I literally couldn't believed it happened. Also, it didn't seem to have much impact in terms of the overall story. So, keeping him alive after the attack, though wounded, can still work. Marcus places Kirk in command, and Kirk is still all fired up to go after the guy who destroyed a "data archive" and attacked Starfleet Command. Marcus gives the go ahead, expecting Harrison to flee towards the Klingons to avoid Federation Justice.

This leaves Pike to rally the Fleet when two ships show up and start blowing the crap out of each other near Earth's orbit. With the fleet coming to attack the Vengance, Harrison falls to plan B and heads off to kill Marcus at the secret base.

5. The ending. Well, the Enterprise is damaged and Kirk does the run and try to save it bit. Except, Kirk and Pike have the heart to heart. Pike recognizes what Kirk is doing, and works to save him. McCoy places him in suspension, trying to figure out a way that Kirk might not die. They realize that Harrison's blood has curative properties (no Tribble resurrection. Seriously, do some tests!) and Pike takes command, deciding to find Marcus and Harrison to bring them to justice and hopefully save Kirk.

6. Villains escape at the end. I am not one for this. I like neat and tidy, regardless of what real life, history or my room may prove otherwise. Having the good guys win and the bad guys loose is my thing. But, to really explore the darkness of humanity and them overcoming it, there needs to be a threat. I mentioned the threat of war, and have the threat be that Marcus will unleash this war and Pike must stop him. It sets up the next film.

Finally:

The Pitch for Star Trek Sequel (insert catchy name here)

Admiral Pike is placed in charge of Starfleet Command by the Federation Council and charged with leading an investigation in to Section 31. Pike places Spock in command of the Enterprise and tasked with tracking down Harrison, who has fled in the Vengeance.

Marcus, at the secret base, prepares to kill Harrison and brings the Vengeance back under his control through command codes. Harrison escapes, unleashing more like him. He trashes the place and takes off with a ship. The Enterprise arrives, just as the Vengeance explodes from self-destruct. Scotty intercepts an emergency transport and recovers Marcus.

Pike interrogates Marcus, finding out that Harrison is leading his supermen in a war against the Klingons, like they were programmed to do. Pike must stop them and insists that Marcus help them. Marcus shows them a secret lab, informing them of the depths of Section 31's work. Kirk is revived, but Marcus does so only after Pike promises to kill Harrison.

Kirk is recovering, and Pike spearheads the task force to stop Harrison. In the first battle, Pike is killed, and Kirk has a heart to heart with Spock regarding the importance of Pike's friendship. Spock shares with Kirk the fact that Pike did not give up on Kirk, despite Kirk being near death.

Kirk decides to pursure Harrison, capture him, and place him and Marcus on trial. Final battle takes place near Klingon border, with the risk of war.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down