Topic: Star Wars Fanfilms... remember those?

http://swdufanfilm.com/view-trailer/

The Audio mix needs work in it but... Blimey smile

/Z

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Star Wars Fanfilms... remember those?

See, this is what I like to see. Some great production design and interesting concepts in the SW universe.
I agree the audio mix was a little off, but I think it will be great.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did I get sent to the wrong video or something? Looks like another terrible parody attempt. (I have an extremely low tolerance for Star Wars fan films.)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Given the often terrible, cliche or silly plots of many fan films (if they had a plot) this is definitely a step in the right direction, for me. It reminds me a bit like Dark Resurrection with larger battles, rather than the smaller ensembles often seen. It doesn't just have Jedi battling Sith in a forest. 

So, while I will wait to see the final product, I am at least glad they got this far and show a little more ambition.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm kinda with Red on this one, another large scale fan film attempt with WAY too much focus on trying to do large scale CG effects that ultimately bring down the quality of the entire thing. Otherwise, it's impressive that they're even attempting to make this and getting anything nearly as good as whats in that trailer...

But I have almost no desire to actually sit down and watch it.

I'm still waiting for a really high quality fan film that doesn't feel the need to try in vain to be super CG and impressive, and can tell a really cool story with interesting characters...like you know... Star Wars did.

(And yeah....I too have a very low tolerance for the bulk of star wars fan films for the reasons listed above)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-07-17 18:14:06)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

For me, I'm just glad people are still trying. I think Dark Resurrection Vol 1 is certainly a great, grand scale, fan film that actually takes a little more of an original twist.

Honestly, I typically have a lower tolerance for low budget projects such as these, but this one had enough originality to be up my alley.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shouldn't there come a certain point where, if you're trying to do more than X, you should just turn it into an original project? Unless you're going the Phase II route, where they're adapting actual Star Trek scripts.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Shouldn't there come a certain point where, if you're trying to do more than X, you should just turn it into an original project? Unless you're going the Phase II route, where they're adapting actual Star Trek scripts.

That's always been my feeling.

Although with something like this you run into a catch 22, they're putting in well over the X amount and getting well...this quality. But if this was an original project, no one would take it seriously. The only reason they'll get a pass on the effects and everything is because it's a fan film, and a Star Wars fan film at that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Invid wrote:

Well, if you're like me, it sometimes hard to discern between inspiration and ripping off. Not to derail this thread but I personally have been working on a film concept, but divorcing it from original inspiration of Star Wars ideas. Doing research for school makes me even more wary of plagiarism so I reference my inspirations.

Also, it is also easier to work within a predefined world than fashion your own with rules, history and design. So, part of it comes from humans being lazy too wink
Although, Lucas originally wanted to do Buck Rogers but  couldn't  get the rights, so he did create his own. It's interesting to me how that came about and inspires me more.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Does anyone remember a fanfilm about a kid living on a remote planet who witnesses a jedi getting killed by clone troopers and who 10 years later rebuilds his lightsaber in order to make everyone believe that the jedi are back?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that sounds like a good premise for a short fanfilm. At least it's doing something different with the jedi... which I'm absolutely sick of these days.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought it was Lensmen Lucas couldn't get the rights to. Or maybe I'm just influenced by the fact the Japanese animated version of Lensmen was a Star Wars ripoff smile

(It it only remembered today because a) it had once of the first Japanese CG scenes, and b) the Japanese sold the comic book rights to a US company, infuriating the Doc Smith estate and souring them to all licensing deals)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Does anyone remember a fanfilm about a kid living on a remote planet who witnesses a jedi getting killed by clone troopers and who 10 years later rebuilds his lightsaber in order to make everyone believe that the jedi are back?

I think that got part 1 done but its been years since i looked at it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Lamer wrote:

Yes. Remember the title?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Lamer wrote:

Yes. Remember the title?

Edit:
http://www.alightinthedarknessfilm.com/the-film/

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-07-19 03:22:46)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy crap that looks fantastic!

Thumbs up Thumbs down