Re: The Alternate Star Wars Prequels

I expect the line "You owe me one, Kenobi" or it will all be for nothing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Fucking videogames ruin everything.

Oh yeah, the videogames are what ruined it. Not the movies that actually established the force powers trick maneuvers in the universe.

Otherwise, yes, I agree with absolutely everything in your post.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-07-18 22:56:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Squiggly_P wrote:

Being isolated on Dagobah would give you a true appreciation for life, and you'd go out of your way to avoid a conflict. Being isolated on Tattooine for a couple decades allows him to figure this out. He doesn't kill anyone in episode 4 (that I can recall, at least...)

No, but Obi-Wan clearly had no qualms about hacking an arm off anyone who started shit in a spaceport bar.   smile

Well, being isolated in a lifeless expanse of desert that is quite literally unending does give one a mildly different appreciation of the boundless and unending incarnations of life than Dagobah would.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Squiggly_P wrote:

And, yeah, he does take that guy's arm off, but he doesn't kill him

Do you follow this logic in everyday life?   Just curious, in case we're ever at a bar together. wink

For me, the OT established that the Jedi were rare, and possibly not even real.   What they were capable of - if they existed - was unknown.    You were a little crazy if you even entertained the idea that Jedi existed.  They were like the Loch Ness Monsters of Star Wars.

Then we find out that maybe you're not crazy to believe in Jedi, but you sure had to be crazy to BE one.  All four Jedi in the OT were nuts - not one of them could function in normal society.  ObiWan was probably the least crazy of the bunch, but even he would start cutting off limbs the minute he went into town.  Geez, Grampa - you're embarrassing us.

Now THOSE Jedi, I like.   

I think the problem was those damn glowy swords.  All the kids wanted a glowy sword, and they ignored the part where it was made clear only lunatic hermit-monks who practiced some hokey ancient religion had those.  So the books and games became more and more about Jedi, to the point where now being a Jedi is considered somehow normal... even something to aspire to.     Now that's crazy.

So that's my vote - it was those silly swords that ruined Star Wars,.

I think that's a general rule of story telling. One or two samurai, wandering the countryside, occasionally meeting others, works. Showing thousands of them in the service of some lord, not so much, unless they're quickly slaughtered and we get down to just a couple wandering around. Same with guns. An army? Boring. Armed former soldier who's a bit insane? Fun.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you're reminding me of that Tom Cruise movie Lots and Lots of Samurai

Invid wrote:

I think that's a general rule of story telling. One or two samurai, wandering the countryside, occasionally meeting others, works. Showing thousands of them in the service of some lord, not so much, unless they're quickly slaughtered and we get down to just a couple wandering around. Same with guns. An army? Boring. Armed former soldier who's a bit insane? Fun.

What about LOTR or Kingdom of Heaven?

I have no problem with Jedi in their hey-day but like Trey said, it's not the impression we got from the OT that they were just hanging around Galactic Central, giving speeches and chilling in the Senate. No exactly enigmatic monks there. But, I also like Jedi, and enjoy learning about them. I liken them to the Wizards in LOTR and have read as much as I can on the 5 Wizards in Tolkein's mythos. But, they are still mysterious and do not appear much. And we don't see two of them at all.

This, of course, supports Trey's argument in the commentaries that the Jedi should not be so prominent in the story. But, even if they play a small role, you could still have them show up in a final battle, of sorts, where they gather the Jedi from across the galaxy for a battle, similar to Aaragorn gathering his Dunedain kin for his battle at Pelennor fields. Again, its when you know that things are getting deadly serious when the Jedi, who we have only seen one or two of, martial together.

That's why I like the Old Republic setting of games/timeline/thing as it allows the Jedi to be very populous without affecting the OT-at all. But the PT is showing the fall of Vader and the Republic and becoming the Empire, so it shouldn't be about the Jedi at all, save for the small part they play in Anakin's life. And then Mike wrote a story...the end wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

I think that's a general rule of story telling. One or two samurai, wandering the countryside, occasionally meeting others, works.

One or two? hah!

Three Outlaw Samurai
Seven Samurai
Eleven Samurai
13 Assassins
47 Ronin

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Needs more midi-chlorians.

But seriously, Mike, this is awesome. Keeping Darth Maul till the second movie and having him go out the way he does is genius. It makes you think about how fucked Obi-Wan is when he needs to square up to Anakin.
Great job!

Thumbs up Thumbs down