Re: Grab Bag 3

Trey wrote:

That's actually a relief of sorts - I'm much happier knowing Under the Dome was perpetrated by people who had no connection to the West Wing.  smile

Well, the second episode was written by Rick Cleveland, co-writer of the awesome West Wing episode In Excelsis Deo.

To me, Rick Cleveland is most famous as the guy who got into a smallish feud with Sorkin after the aforementioned episode won an Emmy and Sorkin took up all the time for the acceptance speech.

He might also be the basis for Studio 60 character Ricky Tahoe. That was the speculation at the time, at least.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm hoping BKV brings the goods in the next episode of Under The Dome. He wrote the pilot, I have hope!

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-07-19 00:58:19)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://24.media.tumblr.com/84cfba4c739ec1fb62716d5b18df707d/tumblr_moa58wvRDQ1qgabc6o1_400.jpg

EDIT: Didn't notice there was another page. Awh well, enjoy this seemingly random image!

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2013-07-19 01:24:18)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm a humungous fan of the new Outer Limits (seven seasons of the weird and wonderful), and I'd mentioned earlier that Under the Dome reminded me of one episode.

It's called The Feasibility Study and I present to you the first part (of five) on youtube:

Last edited by redxavier (2013-07-19 08:30:10)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I really, really disliked season 1, felt totally unworthy of being an HBO show, especially given the pedigree involved. I'll give season 2 a shot based on that interview with Sorkin where he acknowledged his failings on the 1st season and said they were changing things around and improving for season 2. Still think using real-world news-stories was a mistake.

I felt much the same about season one, and after the first episode, I'm not bothering with the rest of the second season. I have the same suspicions as Trey regarding the "What Happened to Maggie?" storyline, which are appalling if correct, and the overall tone of the show is just really grating. I much preferred the BBC's The Hour, which kind of a cross between The Newsroom and Mad Men while being about a thousand times better than either of those shows. Unfortunately, it got the axe earlier this year after only two brief series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, I dunno, I just can't get past the fact that the whole thing feels like a big Sorkin jerk-off fantasy to make himself feel better. I love the shit out of the writing on The West Wing and Social Network, but this show is literally an excuse for him to write pithy moralistic speeches for every news story of the past 2 years, which is like the writing self-indulgence equivalent of the visuals in a movie like Sucker Punch. His other work feels much more genuine in its character focus, and has more likeable characters, and dealing in hypotheticals gives you enough distance to where it doesn't distract from the narrative.

Also, Broadcast News and Network both exist already, and are both way more compelling and successful at conveying how a news station operates and critiquing the media culture surrounding it.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2010/07/robw4-cover.jpg

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I was not a fan of the whole Return of Bruce Wayne arc at all.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But, he was on a horse...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.knockingoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/silverbat.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, where did Bruce Wayne go in the first place?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a few years old, but I'll spoiler tag it any way.

SPOILER Show
Basically, Batman got hit by Darkseid's Omega Sanction and is presumed dead by everyone. There's even a panel of Superman holding a rotten corpse in a batsuit. Turns out he didn't die and the Omega Sanction just sent him back in time to caveman times and no memory of what happened. He ends up being catapulted to further points in history, slowly getting his memories back until he ends up back at Gotham where Dick Grayson has taken over as Batman.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

I was not a fan of the whole Return of Bruce Wayne arc at all.

It was very meh indeed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down