Topic: A (brief) rant about referring to UK academia/academic titles in film

As promised in my introduction post, I just wanted to briefly set the record straight for nobody in particular about how you refer to academics and academic life in the UK.  Films/books/TV shows, etc always get this wrong, and it always kinda bugs me.  However, I think X-Men First Class, which I watched over the weekend, finally pushed me over the edge.  In a desperate attempt to relate it to something to do with DIF, it's also not quite right in the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which I started reading after Brian and Mike plugged it in a couple of episodes.  (And I really like it, btw.  A really interesting alternative take on the material, so thanks guys!)

Here's the main thing to remember:  in the UK, 'professor' is not the generic word for a member of academic staff at a college or university.  'Professor' is a rank, and indeed the highest general rank in the system.  So only very senior members of a department will have the title of "Professor" and be referred to as, e.g., "Professor Smith". 

The generic word in the UK is 'lecturer'.  So when I'm going through immigration in the UK, and they ask me what I do, I say "I'm a lecturer."  In formal situations, anyone below the rank of professor is addressed as "Doctor", assuming that they have a PhD (which almost everybody in the UK does now, though that wasn't always the case). 

So, yes, of course in First Class they want to get a call back? call forward? to "Professor X", but really, since it sounds like he's just passed his oral examination on his PhD, they should announce him as "Doctor Charles Francis Xavier" and the conversation with Raven should be "So, you're a lecturer now", to which he should reply "you don't actually get to be called a lecturer until you have a teaching position". 

The other thing is that there's no such thing as tenure in the UK.  (Thatcher did away with it.)  Labor laws are a little different, and unionization is a bit more common than in the States.  (There's one that represents me as a lecturer, for example.)  But if they want to get rid of people, it's exactly the same procedure as if we worked in a widget factory (which, increasingly, it feels like we do, but that really is well off-topic). 

Anyway, if I can save one person writing a script or a story from talking about a 30 year-old as "a tenured professor of History at Liverpool University", I'll have done my job.   smile

Last edited by sellew (2013-07-29 10:55:44)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: A (brief) rant about referring to UK academia/academic titles in film

Honestly, we've only just figured out that you don't all wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas everywhere. Next you'll be telling us you don't have tea and crumpets twice a day.

/tips cowboy hat, moseys away

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: A (brief) rant about referring to UK academia/academic titles in film

Yeah, after my PhD defense, my supervisor very kindly got me as a present this sort of handbook to language and culture in the UK, and I swear it was like "language and culture in suburban London circa 1965".  Interesting, but of absolutely no relevance to Northern England in 1996 as it turned out. 

Actually, drifting off topic, that was actually one of the things that bugged me about First Class.  For a film supposedly set in the early 60's, it seemed remarkably devoid of any actual sense of time.  During that training scene where there's all those animated wipes, I actually went "WTF?  Is this supposed to be Ocean's 11 or something?" and then realized, oh yeah, it is supposed to be. 

(That, and the fact that James McAvoy bears a vague resemblance to our current prime minister, which meant I spent the whole move desperately wanting to pummel him.)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down