Topic: Jaws

Hello sportsfans, Trey here. Back in 1975 a little-known TV director got stuck with the job of making a shark movie that was only 3% shark. What might have been fodder for an episode of Mystery Science Theater became a blockbuster that changed the way Hollywood has made movies ever since. Good thing, too – if his shark movie hadn’t worked out, that guy’d be lucky to be directing Good Morning Amarillo these days. Instead he gets to be Steven Spielberg, which is almost certainly better.

Join us won’t you, as we unravel the mystery of how a monster movie can work so gosh-darn well, even though the monster almost never shows up. Or did I just give away the answer?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Jaws

STOP EATING INTO THE MIC!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We've gotten better in the ninety episodes since this one. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haha, I know.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy shit, the Jaws thread is this empty?!?

I got the blu-ray this week, it looks awesome. Some of my little cousins came round today and wanted to watch it, the six year old left after the first scene as she was too scared...bless!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hopefully I'm getting the Blu Ray for my birthday next month *fingers crossed*

And Trey should write the intros to these threads more often. Should have said that 3 years ago big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The blu-ray is pretty.    big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I will add to this and say the BluRay is spectacular for such an old film. It's actually quite amazing how the pristine quality of the BluRay transfer goes a long way to make the film seem alot more current and less dated. For me alot of the "feel" of old movies is the fact that you most likely used to watch them on VHS and low-res CRT TVs, and even the DVD releases, in comparison with HD, always had a certain blocky, non-detailed look, not helped by also being generally viewed on said CRT TVs.

Suddenly this film is presented in the same environment as modern blockbusters, and it holds up very well in comparison.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Though, looking at the commentary track, the movie is 120+ minutes, the track is 89 minutes?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is there a file that doesn't cut off at 89 minutes?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry, it was a boating accident.

This was no boating accident... it's a space station!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE CHINATOWN

i smell toast

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

we're gonna need a bigger file

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Best damn part of this commentary is when Teague yells, "Hey, look! Jaws!"
And his voice cracks three octaves high.

I rewound and listened to it over and over. It was hilarious.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whenabouts is that?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right in the middle of a random conversation about the Happening.

55:05 in the file.

You just got excited I guess smile

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*listens*

That is hilarious. What. What on Earth.

The other one like that for me is from Eternal Sunshine, where I'm talking about being in a giant sink like that and how much that would freak you out, and then... like, to sum-up my point? what?... in this conspiratorial voice, I just go "I'm... I'm tiny."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lol I'm 25 and my voice still cracks occasionally.
I'll have to check out that other one.

We should just make an anti-trailer, containing all the vocal flubs from the commentaries. wink

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is there a version with the whole commentary on it or is the end just gone?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes. I am not sure... exactly why Jaws was cut off like that, because it wasn't cut off before the [redacted] changeover. But, whatever. Here's this. The one on the page now links to this as well.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Here's this.

NEW CONTENT?!?

[voice cracks four octaves too high]

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Thanks Teague.  That's awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down