Re: So I read it

Personally, i prefer the original version. Sure the voice over's a little goofy, but so is Harrison Ford. The happy ending doesn't match the rest of the movie's tone at all but i like it anyway.

Gaff has this origami fetish. Cool. So at the end he leaves a unicorn for Deckard because he found out that Rachael is special, no 4yr life span. She's unique, like a unicorn. He knows Deckard and Rachael are going to make a run for it and he lets them. End of story. To me there's no need to add all this 'it's from Deckard's dreams' crap.

BTW, did you know Ridley Scott shot this commercial in 1979 using music by... Vangelis.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's two ways to read Tolkien, and both are valid.  His work is very slippery.  You can start into a paragraph with the best intentions and by the end your eyes are sliding across it and only picking up the most important vowels and nouns so you can progress through the story.  This is like skiing down a mountain- you will see the shit that you should see, quickly, and could probably recount the slope to a friend once you're at the bottom, and will have had a good time.  The other way is to MAKE yourself register and understand every word, every sentence, and how every word and sentence and paragraph ties into and enhances the other.  This is like climbing an icy mountain with ropes and ice picks and spikey shoes- it sucks, and it's cold, and it's hard work, and you will be INTIMATELY familiar with the aesthetics of every single foot of the mountain.  And you'll be sick of every single foot until you reach the top, at which point you will feel a great sense of accomplishment.  And though you'll be exhausted and may never want to climb that mountain again, or at least for a very long time, you will feel a kinship with that mountain from that day forth.  And you'll feel as though you and the mountain understand eachother.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's an awesome metaphor. I'm so totally stealing that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know this is the wrong topic but just to ad to my comments above: i've finally watched the work print version of Blade Runner and it'd be my favorite of all 5 versions except that - grr! - it has mostly temp music. The ending is the best one, he picks up Rachel very quickly and it ends at the elevator.

Someone just needs to edit it right with the Vangelis music.

Thumbs up Thumbs down