Re: What's your verdict on GRAVITY? (*SPOILERS* are likely)

I can't get over how much I love this movie. I think this is really something transcendent, and for my money, it's more of a game-changer than Avatar. I can't wait to see it again next weekend.

I'm also absolutely giddy about what it could mean for the future of Science fiction cinema.
Imagine Rendezvous With Rama with this kind of technology.

Also, Nolan's got his work cut out for him on Interstellar. In a post-Gravity world, every serious sci-fi space film is going to have to up its game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:
Invid wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

If you're nitpicking physics about this movie, which is more accurate in its physics than any space movie in the history of cinema, I don't know what to tell you.

But it's because it's so accurate that people are nitpicking. You laugh at the mistakes in The Core, but this is so close you just groan over every mistake that could have been fixed with a bit more thought.

I'm fine with inaccuracies if they service the story.

So am I, although I prefer them in areas I have little knowledge in so I don't notice them smile

Last edited by Invid (2013-10-08 04:13:51)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from seeing this a second time with Eddie, who was seeing it for his first time.

3D.

IMAX.

Way too close to the screen.

Holy shit, you guys.

I was a bit bummed when I saw how close we were to the screen. I kept cracking up, it was actually funny, looking up at the screen before the movie started... like, "oh my god these seats are retarded." To give you a sense of it, tilt you head back, way back - it was that tall, and the screen was curved almost around us, and so wide it literally went out farther than the frames of the glasses.

And I was bummed! Like, "man, these seats suck."

Yeah, funny thing about that; just for this movie, it actually worked out better than anything else would have. Because we were so separated from the usual filmwatching experience, the usual angle, and having to look up to see what's up there, and to the side to see what's going on over there, it was so-close-as-makes-no-difference like actually being there with them. Totally immersive.

Super, super cool. It's better the second time, for the usual "well now I won't be surprised by nitpicky things that take me out of the movie" reasons.

Also.

I watched closely during the "Clooney has to detatch" scene to confirm or deny the angular momentum excuse; "the station is spinning, so he's inheriting weight from the spin that justifies the pull on Bullock's tether." I like that excuse a lot, because it's a completely plausible justification for what otherwise seemed to be a massive departure from the ballistic "accuracy" of most of the movie. I was keeping an eye on specific details and general film grammar, really trying to see if that was what was going on and if it's just kind of unclear.

Aaaand, the answer is no way. That isn't happening. There's a couple camera moves that seem to indicate a bit of rotation happening, but all those camera moves are offset by opposing ones that conclusively indicate the "rotation" you could imagine was just the camera moving around. Bastard ain't spinnin,' and we're back to square one on the "aw, damn it, that part doesn't make sense" thing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I can see this being THAT movie were being closer to the screen, being surrounded by the blackness of space, would give a much more immersive and detailed experience.

However, I haven't seen the film, but, I find it interesting that it is being held up, as far as space related films go, as the benchmark. It is curious to see that opinion evolve, and maybe I'm too skeptical for my own good, but it makes me wonder how seriously this film will be taken as far effects go.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hmm, good to have some confirmation at least. Also, what about Sandra's foot, does it clearly show them as now being stationary? Because the ropes are elastic, and it looked like she was continuing to stretch the rope, which would imply that he still had momentum dragging her, which I could buy.

Either way, it doesn't really bother me in the slightest. I didn't pick up on it during the movie, and wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't specifically pointed out to me.

Fireproof - to your point, imagine Avatar, except the stuff being animated is stuff that currently exists in the real world and we can relate too. This movie is 95% animation (most shots I'm pretty sure just Sandra's face is live action), and it all looks photo-real and stunning.

The stuff that really gets me is the interior shots, I have 0 clue how they did that stuff. It seems like there's gotta be practical ISS stuff there for Sandra to interact with, but when she's flying through the station casually, there's no way that's practical....right? This is the first movie in a LOOOOONG time where I'm utterly flabbergasted at how some of this stuff was filmed. This movie shouldn't exist.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-10-08 06:13:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://nypost.com/2013/10/06/astronauts … ewyorkpost

On a side note, having not seen it, it seriously feels like everyone on the god damn planet suddenly joined a cult. "Yes. Gravity is our lord and saviour and we must worship it with every ounce of fervour within our beings. All hail the one true movie." Not really a point behind that, just kinda what it feels like on this side of the fence.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saw it.   Jeezus.

As You Know, there are nitpicks to be made but the only one that really took me out of the movie was the Clooney tether business.   Wish they'd spent just a little more effort justifying that.

But otherwise, cripes. If there's any justice, we got a contender for Most Oscar Nominations of 2013 right here.

That was the first movie in a good long while where I would just sit, mouth agape for long stretches.  I agree with all, the tether business took me out for about 15 seconds, but I was so invested in Ryan's story, I was back into it without much trouble.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, BOY is the bake off going to be perfunctory this year.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, there are still four nominations available...  smile

I was gonna say, it's funny how they could literally play any random 10 minute chunk of this movie and be guaranteed the oscar

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gravity is the surest lock on the planet for a nomination. I can't imagine anything else winning. Here's what I'm guessing the other nominees will be:

- Desolation of Smaug (Seems like the most obvious non-Gravity choice. That big ol' dragon alone will get it a nom.)

- Iron Man 3 (How many Marvel movies HAVEN'T gotten a nomination here?)

- Pacific Rim (This is the only big-robot-destruction movie this year, and those almost always get nominated.)

- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (This takes the Life of Pi/Benjamin Button slot. More traditional Academy favorites that happen to have fantasy elements that allow for great effects.)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Replace Iron Man 3 with Oblivion and you'd likely be correct

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BDA, do yourself a favor and watch the movie before you become too firmly entrenched in the view that it's overrated. You'll just be robbing yourself of a tremendous experience otherwise.

So, loved it. Need some time to process it, and definitely another viewing, but wow. Literally breath-taking.

The Clooney tether thing -- it seemed like they'd reached an equilibrium, yes, but a tenuous one. If she'd tugged on him (or he on her), her foot would've come loose and they'd both be adrift. My issue with that scene was more that it's a rather boring trope, severing the cord to sacrifice yourself. Not enough to ruin the movie, just not my favorite scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm not sure about Iron Man 3, it's just more of the same stuff that's been nominated before.

Gravity (so far anyway) is this year's Life of Pi - a movie that does things with FX that haven't been seen before.  That pretty much always guarantees a nomination. 

I think Pacific Rim has a good shot as well - although we've seen plenty of giant robot movies, it's just so damn gorgeous.

Oblivion deserves a shot, but I dunno if there's enough love there to get it into the final five.

EDIT:  Actually, I suppose All Is Lost is really this year's Life of Pi (just without a tiger).   It might grab a slot if the FX work is really good - the Academy likes to reward "natural" FX whenever they can.  Especially if there's an ocean involved (Perfect Storm, Poseidon, Titanic, Cast Away, Pi...)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/sandra- … y-20470890

I like Sandra Bullock a little more now. I didn't know she actually tried to collect her own Razzie Award.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-10-09 00:31:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FXGuide's Making of Gravity article

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow...just, wow.

I love the light box concept and hope to see it more in films. That is a great concept.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fucking christ they roto'd this entire movie. Those poor bastards.

Also, they mention full on cg face-replacements, and I'm wondering which sequences that was done for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Most likely it was mostly for moments where their face is visible, but far enough away that it's too much of a pain in the ass to get a live plate just for that shot.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Damn Hollywood, You scary. neutral

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Seems like more often it's CG body replacement, and just their faces in the helmets are real.  Which makes sense, considering the impossible body/camera choreography going on so much of the time.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Gravity is the surest lock on the planet for a nomination. I can't imagine anything else winning. Here's what I'm guessing the other nominees will be:

- Desolation of Smaug (Seems like the most obvious non-Gravity choice. That big ol' dragon alone will get it a nom.)

- Iron Man 3 (How many Marvel movies HAVEN'T gotten a nomination here?)

- Pacific Rim (This is the only big-robot-destruction movie this year, and those almost always get nominated.)

- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (This takes the Life of Pi/Benjamin Button slot. More traditional Academy favorites that happen to have fantasy elements that allow for great effects.)

Where the fuck is Elysium? Also, Evil Dead needs some respect for going all practical.

Damn, I completely forgot that came out this year (That tells you how forgettable and disappointing it was). Ya, if there's any noms that are locks I would think it'd be Gravity and Elysium, the others are kinda up in the air. Hobbit/Pacific Rim/Oblivion could all get noms, but I could just as easily see each of them getting snubbed, so who knows. Man of Steel/Star Trek might be in the mix too, but I kinda think those 2 will fall by the wayside as they both feel very "been there done that".

I think we might wanna move this stuff to a seperate thread as this is turning into the bake-off prediction thread all of a sudden.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since almost every movie is now an FX movie, somebody's getting snubbed every year for the foreseeable future. 

Elysium is deserving of attention yes, but Evil Dead?   No way no day.