Topic: Star Wars (Not-so-special edition.)

And really, isn't the special edition like the special olympics? Let's not fool ourselves. We know it's a euphemism.

Happy new year, two years in a row of Star Wars first-episodes.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Star Wars (Not-so-special edition.)

Show notes.

May the Force be with You!

Star Wars on Amazon.com
Star Wars on IMDB
Star Tours
The Injured Stormtrooper
Ryan vs. Dorkman/ 2
Pink Five
USC
John Milius
Robert Zemeckis
Perfectmovie
Damnation Alley
Logan's Run
Queen, Bicycle Race
Death Star Droid
As you know...
Academy award winning edited by Richard Chew, Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas

Deleted Magic
Get started with Joseph Campbell
Hero's Journey
StarWars / Wizard of Oz
Alec Guinness Ealing comedies
Rick Baker
Parsec
Kill the cat moment
Aurebesh
The Big Bang Theory minus laugh track
Phil Tippett
Retcon
Splinter of the Mind’s Eye
Shadows of the Empire
Allegiance
Troopers vs. Troupers
Amadalen
The Wilhelm Scream, first heard in Distant Drums

Mimas, moon of Saturn
The Dam Busters a la Star Wars
Head On! Apply directly to the TIE Fighter!
Vader Sessions
Joe Viskocil
Fridge logic
Keyan Farlander is the 3rd survivor

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2010-03-15 09:08:50)

OMG EXCITED

Listening now.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-03-15 05:01:32)

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hell they dont even make a classic edition in any digital format. really disappointing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twig24 wrote:

Hell they dont even make a classic edition in any digital format. really disappointing.

Please to enjoy our Amazon.com link.

wow, thanks. Ill get the new ep in the next couple of days

The new version has always bothered me. It takes what they were doing out of context. Star wars is amazing because of the time when it was created. I grew up with star wars being the standard. When they redid it in 1997 I waited in line with friends and skipped school to see it in a theater. I was very dissapointed.

It really waters down how spectacular EP IV was when i was growing up. It wouldnt have been so bad but I really felt (even at the time) that the added effects were completely unneeded and not really up to jurassic parks standards.  The added effects were also added to "kiddifiy" the movie more for a modern family friendly audience.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just for the record, everyone except Teague was wrong on the trouper/trooper debate.

http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&a … ;q=trouper

/braces for Trey's over-reaction

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-03-15 07:37:27)

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Just for the record, everyone except Teague was wrong on the trouper/trooper debate.

Gotcha covered in the show notes sir.

Twig24 wrote:

wow, thanks. Ill get the new ep in the next couple of days

Welcome sir, and Thank You for your support!

Well, whaddaya know.  I was aware of the difference between a trouper and a trooper, but I just always thought that expression was military in origin, and not from the theatah.   Live and learn.

I also realize in retrospect that the video switcher that fires the Death Star's weapon was probably a Grass Valley switcher and not a Chyron.   The Times regrets the error.

That was a great one.

I enjoyed this much more than your prequel commentaries, which got a bit to negative/drunk/shouty for one who actually thinks they're not that bad.

Now do Empire. Now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Random Trivia: My middle name is Luke, named after Luke Skywalker. Had I been a girl it would have been Leia.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I knew a kid who's name was Luke, and his middle name was Skywalker.

People are weird.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I so wish you guys would do some kind of live session, but none the less great one loved it 5* all the way

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pookersthedruid wrote:

I so wish you guys would do some kind of live session, but none the less great one loved it 5* all the way

I second that. When I go back and listen to the Geekza commentaries, I'm suddenly jealous, one because I wasn't able to sit in on that chatroom and second because I want to be able to chime in if I have something to add sad Which happens alot, so maybe you guys won't want to do it hmm

ZangrethorDigital.ca

they would be to envious of are awesome amounts of knowledge that they will be to ashamed or to drunk to care tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

I knew a kid who's name was Luke, and his middle name was Skywalker.

People are weird.

I think his parents may have been a bit too enthusiastic about Star Wars. Still how awesome would it be to say "Yeah I named my kid after a Star Wars character." I guess Dorkman's parents can brag about that too.

Last edited by DecrodeMF (2010-03-16 01:41:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In order for me to watch this I had to run it while watching the DVD version and pause the commentary during the added scenes.  It was actually kind of interesting that way

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Wars re re re REEEEEEMIIIXXXXXX.

Nothing? Alright, fuck me, then.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One thing I'm surprised you guys didn't talk about is Star Wars' one piece of magic.  And, when you think about it, it was a pretty genius move by Lucas.  He sets it up as the very first thing you see in the movie.  "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." He was saying this takes place in a universe that you are completely unfamiliar with, so almost anything is fair game.  Things like lightsabers, the force, laser guns, and explosions in space where there is no oxygen, can exist and happen because all the rules are different.  Its one VERY big piece of magic, but the way its presented at the very beginning of the film, it works.

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2010-03-16 07:35:37)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, not really, it might be a different galaxy but it's the same universe and therefore the same rules still apply. An interesting perspective though - after all, Luke is a human but not an earthling so evolution in this galaxy could have given humans the ability to use the force. And now I've just contradicted myself.

Regarding Darth's line about no-one stopping them. I think this is taken too literally. It's not that they have been stopped before, it's just that no-one will be there to even try to stop them. So, no opposition as opposed to a bunch of armed rebels.

That's how I read it, the Senate doesn't have much relevance here. It's not like the Senate have intervened to prevent them getting the plans before, the story implies that they are protesting Darth's methods and providing a semblance of immunity for Leia.

Edited to add:
It's not clear from the movie but I think Biggs and Wedge are quite far back from Luke in the trench. So they're covering Luke in the sense that no-one can get behind him without being shot by his wingmen (Biggs say that they'll hang back far enough to cover you). The problem is that the TIEs come behind the wingmen, and without extra support coming behind the TIEs they're toast. So they end up sacrificing themselves to buy time. Wedge just leaving is odd but Luke does tell him to get out of there.

Still, the concept of Luke being in charge of Biggs and Wedge has always been weird. Why is Luke effectively the second in command after Red Leader?

Last edited by redxavier (2010-03-16 16:20:51)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I always thought the line "There will be no one to stop us this time!" was a reference to the opening crawl where they say that Rebel spaceships have just won their first victory against the Empire.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ win.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Well, not really, it might be a different galaxy but it's the same universe and therefore the same rules still apply.

By universe I really meant, different environment.   I was trying to say that Lucas was setting up that this takes place somewhere that is not here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:

I always thought the line "There will be no one to stop us this time!" was a reference to the opening crawl where they say that Rebel spaceships have just won their first victory against the Empire.

But Vader is talking about getting the plans back. It was during the scroll battle that the plans were taken so it doesn't make sense for him to refer to that as being an example of a previous attempt to recover them.

I'm kinda surprised by the apparent ambiguity of the scene. Vader's pretty much standing on a bunch of dead guys who attempted to stop him, saying 'they're all dead, so how about you go do it yourself'.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down