Re: My evening.

Some years ago, I worked with a fella who had two kids.  He acted out the differences between one's first and second child like this:

Firstborn child drops their pacifier on the floor...

*waves arms while shouting* OMG What do we do?  We have to buy a new one!  Or maybe we can boil it?    We better call the pediatrician and ask.  OMG OMG OMG

Cut to: a few years later. Second child drops their pacifier on the floor...

*pantomimes picking it up, shaking it, sticking it back in the kid's mouth*

It's pretty much like that.

Trey: In the chat few days back you joked about me saying it all changes when you realise you have to take care of the little dudes or dudettes forever...  It's not like I was saying anything groundbreaking here. It's well known that the connection you have with your baby is radically different before the baby is born and after. It is not like one does not know there is responsibility you have towards the baby, it's just that it hits you differently when you actually hold you child in your arms.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Phi wrote:

Yep, sounds about normal. And as long as the baby is eating, peeing, pooping, crying and (occasionally) sleeping, they're normal too. You'll find yourself worriedly Googling various symptoms only to get that answer tongue

Yep, this.
Summed up my wife's and I experience, though the second one lasted much longer than it should have.

Also, cradle the head as you hold the baby smile

http://www.marcofolio.net/images/stories/fun/imagedump/baby_care/baby_care_01.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/VikWPVc.jpg

It's turning out alright.

Thumbs up +9 Thumbs down

GIANT BABY

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Phi wrote:

Yep, sounds about normal. And as long as the baby is eating, peeing, pooping, crying and (occasionally) sleeping, they're normal too. You'll find yourself worriedly Googling various symptoms only to get that answer tongue

Yep, this.
Summed up my wife's and I experience, though the second one lasted much longer than it should have.

Also, cradle the head as you hold the baby smile

http://www.marcofolio.net/images/stories/fun/imagedump/baby_care/baby_care_01.jpg

I learned that the hard way when I was 7 when I thought I'd be helpful and try to put my newborn baby sister to bed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know, man. The baby who's being lifted the "wrong" way is sporting the happier facial expression. I've lifted babies that way for years, and not one has ever spoken a word of complaint.

Dave: your kid is all kinds of adorable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This seems strangely relevant:

http://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/zone/content.php?file=aHR0cDovL3NhZnIua2luZ2ZlYXR1cmVzLmNvbS9CYWJ5Qmx1ZXMvMjAxMy8xMC9CYWJ5X0JsdWVzX2h0LjIwMTMxMDEzXzc2MC5naWY=&tok=102233a23d9eeea26aa92880b42aae71

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Congrats, Dave!  It does sound like things were a little rough, but it'll all come good. 

First, if you have any support while you're at home (parents who've come, friends who live near by) DO NOT HESITATE to exploit them to the fullest extent possible.  Your partner needs her rest, but so do you, and you both need to spend time with your baby.  Get people to cook for you, clean the house for you, go shopping, etc. etc.  ANYTHING they can do for you, tell them to do it.  Now is not the time to be humble and self-effacing.  That is what they are there for.

Second, you guys might have Neal's Yard down under.  If so, score a tub of something they sell called "Baby Balm".  That stuff works miracles with diaper rash.  Their large tub will last you like six months at least.

Looking slightly into the longer term, and relating to your father-son movie nights comment, you'll need to make sure to get them into stuff that you and your partner can bear watching.  Little kids do like watching stuff over, and over, and over, and if it's stuff you can't stand, it's a nightmare.  I had a lot of luck with The Muppet Show.  It's got puppets and the sketches and whatnot are pretty quick-fire, so it holds their attention.  Yellow Submarine I also find works well.

Anyway, congratulations again!  Kids really are the best!

Last edited by sellew (2013-10-14 07:26:12)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Some years ago, I worked with a fella who had two kids.  He acted out the differences between one's first and second child like this:

Firstborn child drops their pacifier on the floor...

*waves arms while shouting* OMG What do we do?  We have to buy a new one!  Or maybe we can boil it?    We better call the pediatrician and ask.  OMG OMG OMG

Cut to: a few years later. Second child drops their pacifier on the floor...

*pantomimes picking it up, shaking it, sticking it back in the kid's mouth*

I didn't have to wait for a second kid to do that.  8 months in, a quick rinse and it went back in.  15 months and I just shook it off.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2.5 years: cut the tip off, tell the kid he/she lost it, now it's gone forever.

**a few days of crying for it, then it's all good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is long overdue.  Welcome to fatherhood.  Here is your new jam.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie is my people.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

that was horrifying...   

The kids getting a motorbike for his 1st birthday, old school 2 stroke smoker to save him from the evils of hybrids big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down