Topic: *Suggestion Box Poll*

Alrighty, I made a very retarded survey with an online service (that was pretty easy, so I recommend them) based on the suggestions from the sticky thread, so we can filter the ones a lot of folks care about to the ones only a few do.

As the survey asks, pick five.

Survey this bitch!

After you submit, it'll take you to a splash page asking you to register. You don't need to, I'll get the results either way. The service doesn't have a public-view option, so intermittently I'll post results so you can see how everything's going.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: *Suggestion Box Poll*

That's nice but you forgot "The Dark Crystal" sad

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've just been polled!

Sadly missing from list: Casablanca, Get Carter, Mad Maxes, Outland, Videodrome, Dune, Raw Deal, 12 Monkeys, Narc, ...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wanted is on there twice, FYI.

What, only five!? You torture me.

Voted for The Rock, Top Gun, Black Hole, Moon and Children of Men.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Moon and Indiana Jones are tied for most-votes, so far.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At the risk of giving away my soopa-secret ballot, I wanna clarify something: Please count my vote for Indiana Jones as a vote for Raiders of the Lost Ark. If you want to do the others in the series for completeness' sake I won't put up a fight, but neither will I be disappointed if you never do them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not a single Ernest movie?

Also missing:
* East of Eden
* The Glenn Miller Story
* A Room With a View
* The Best Years of Our Lives
* That one where Anthony Hopkins plays a black dude

Edit: * My Dinner with Andre

Last edited by Zarban (2010-08-25 16:37:45)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Hey, it worked.

I can't say anything's missing on that list, since you already said it's compiled by the most popular ones, but there's a few I'd like to add.

Another time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/504/pollz.jpg

Click to enlarge. Accurate as of ten minutes ago.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If we're going to do DARK KNIGHT, it's my opinion that we should do the whole franchise in order. Burton, Schumaker, Nolan. Even though the Nolans are a reboot. Trey worked on BATMAN RETURNS, for one thing. For another, I feel like TDK is something we won't be able to fully appreciate and discuss unless we've gone on the journey together.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is an awesome chart.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with Dorkman. I mean, you *could* go without the Burton/Schumaker films, but it'd just be cheating. I was actually wondering why Batman Begins wasn't on that list, since I personally find it to be better than Dark Knight.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not enough 80s movies on that survey for my liking (like the Blob!) But I voted anyway big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The last survey had less than ten responses, this one has over twenty. Trends are emerging. Ian Malcolm is concerned.

Pulp Fiction, Heat, Moon, Indiana Jones, The Fifth Element and The Dark Knight are all leading the pack.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9799/poll2.jpg

Click to enlarge.

I'm having fun making these.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

If we're going to do DARK KNIGHT, it's my opinion that we should do the whole franchise in order. Burton, Schumaker, Nolan. Even though the Nolans are a reboot. Trey worked on BATMAN RETURNS, for one thing. For another, I feel like TDK is something we won't be able to fully appreciate and discuss unless we've gone on the journey together.

And, if you do undertake that journey then you should include MASK OF THE PHANTASM as well. It got a theatrical release, and the comparison between what Bruce Timm and friends were doing and the live action Schumaker dreck would be interesting.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cartoons are for babies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*hentai picture*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

Absolutely.  Its also worth noting the era of each film coming out and how it relates to what the comics were in each of those time periods.  When Burton's Batman came out, it was on the heels of Frank Millers definitive dark take on it, as well as Dennis O'Neil's editorial run on the Batman titles, pushing it in a much darker direction.  Compare that with the mid/late 90's Schumaker films that visually is dark,  but light on story, similar to what Chuck Dixon was doing in those comics.  THen fast forward to 2005 when you have solid writers like Judd Winnick and Grant Morrison who really UNDERSTOOD what makes the character work, and built stories from the inside out...that's when you get your Chris Nolan films (which are oddly influenced by Frank Miller).  Its more coincidental than anything, but its a remarkable journey for the character in both mediums.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

who really UNDERSTOOD what makes the character work

Batman wrote:

I'M THE GODDAMNED BATMAN!

Astroninja Studios wrote:

Absolutely.  Its also worth noting the era of each film coming out and how it relates to what the comics were in each of those time periods.

I can't wait to expound on exactly that, in great detail.

Wait, no... the other thing.

Can I just get Eddie doing a commentary on every Batman movie all by himself?

I honestly think that would be my favorite batch of DIF commentaries ever.

Last edited by Hansen (2010-08-26 21:03:47)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Call it Eddie's Happy Time.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd get very lonely very quick, if I did a podcast all by my lonesome.

It's not like Batman is even my favorite character or anything.  He is very much writer dependent in terms of quality.  Chuck Dixon turned him into a sort of neo-con claptrap (kinda like Chuck Dixon, actually) and even Frank Miller sorta lost the plot with him during All Star Batman.  What fascinates me about Batman is that of all the DC heroes, he's the most mortal.  While Marvel was all about making Super Powered folk relatable, Batman is about making a regular man more powerful by sheer force of will.  Its easy to forget that Batman premiered in a book called "Detective Comics" and that he is oft referred to as the worlds greatest detective.  The first Batman film dabbled in this, as well as Nolan in the Dark Knight (less so in Begins).  But even so, that's the least explored aspect of the character.  Bottom line, for such a popular character that has become iconic, he's been the hardest to translate what makes him great to the small or large screen, and therefore making what Nolan has done with him such an accomplishment.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-08-26 22:24:26)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just so you know, Eddie, that's the kind of thing I was talking about over in that other thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down