Re: *Suggestion Box Poll*

Meh, Batman's never been a character I've followed in the comics. I think I have just one series - Jim Lee's Hush. And that's mainly because at the time I liked Jim Lee's art.

But Batman is one of those characters who's seen a lot of action in other mediums - cartoons, TV series, films, and video games. And that's arguably what has made him the premier comic book hero in the minds of most people. I think he's more popular than anyone else, more than Superman, and more than Spider-man.

And that's why a commentary for any film in the series would be a good thing to do - you can approach the character from multiple angles. You'll have the comic book angle covered, the film angle covered, and the Adam West TV show covered too (ok, so Trey isn't that old).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is the animated DC universe that I know and love, not the comics. Hell, I avoid superhero comics for the most part, but give me an episode of Justice League and I'm a happy camper.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

THe animated series does very well, by and large.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A couple or so times a year I have to remind myself that what the kids today are calling the "Justice League" is not the same thing as what we used to call "Challenge of the Super Friends."

At least I think it was "Challenge of the Super Friends." Whichever one had that fucking creepy 50-foot-tall Indian.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

APACHE....CHIEFchiefchiefchief!

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They kept changing the title of the 70's show every season, so yeah it's hard to keep them straight smile Ah, the 70's... there's a reason I don't go back and re-watch most of what I saw on Saturday Mornings as a kid. The first season of Land of the Lost stands up well, though, and my niece loves HR Puffinstuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DUDE. I totally got the first season of "Land of the Lost" from Netflix a year or two ago. It was great! The production values couldn't have been any lower, but the stories were actually pretty cool. The one where the kids find an illusion of their dead mom inside a pylon was startlingly mature for a Sid & Marty Kroft joint.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it was the perfect example of a creator being given total control and creating a well thought out world. He even included an ending that still allowed for more episodes, knowing full well there would never be a "real" ending and the show would run forever in syndication.

Don't know where it is at the moment, but I picked up at Worldcon a few years ago David Gerrold's proposal for a revival of the show. Some relatives of the Marshalls retrace their steps trying to find them and end up in the Land of the Lost, but things have gone to hell. The dad is missing. Will is living as a wild caveman. And Holly... appears to be a sky god. The studio went with the crappy 90's version instead.

If you haven't watched the original Rhino DVD releases, track them down. The commentaries by Gerrold, Larry Niven, Walter Koenig, D.C. Fontana, etc are well worth listening to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, there are enough Star Trek names in there to officially make me interested...

"Land of the Lost" is what you get when you hire a bunch of accomplished serious sci-fi writers, given them their own half-hour timeslot, provide them with practically no money and leave them alone.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And it's a great example of how to save money through planning. They had enough money for something like 5 minutes of stop motion for the entire series, so they worked out long sequences that could play out in their entirety for the main episode but also could be cut into smaller pieces. There's only one version of Grumpy going up to the log bridge and then crossing, but in pervious episodes that footage is edited so he goes up to it then gives up in different ways. Same with his attacks on the cave. Having the scripts before you start makes things so much easier!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Back to the Batman thing for a second.... I don't see why DIF needs to do the Burton-Schumacher ones. However, if Trey worked on BR, and since BR is actually a good movie, here is my enthusiasm for hearing DIF commentaries on the the Batman collection (10 being "watch it now" and 1 being "watch it after everything else in my queue except the 8 Star Wars prequels I have left"):

6 Batman '66
1 Batman animated shows
5 Batman
7 Batman Returns
1 Batman Forever
2 Batman & Robin
8 Batman Begins
9 The Dark Knight

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2497/poll3.jpg

30 replies. The top row have 10 votes.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

God, I hate The Fifth Element. Well, bits of it. Well, Chris Tucker...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Curious to hear how vitriolic a commentary Synecdoche would get, since it fingerbangs structure and dramatic narrative as hard as it does.

(But well, and for the right reasons. Biased. A favorite film.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The bits of "The Fifth Element" that suck out loud are entirely outweighed by the bits with Zorg in them.

And I think I've already gone public with my Milla Jovovich problem.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Back to the Batman thing for a second.... I don't see why DIF needs to do the Burton-Schumacher ones. However, if Trey worked on BR, and since BR is actually a good movie, here is my enthusiasm for hearing DIF commentaries on the the Batman collection (10 being "watch it now" and 1 being "watch it after everything else in my queue except the 8 Star Wars prequels I have left"):

1 Batman animated shows

What, you don't think a comparison between what two directors were doing with Batman at the same time would be interesting? It's just a shame that more of the animated, direct to video stuff hasn't been put in theaters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down