Re: A Breaking Bad Conversation Thread w/ *SPOILERS* Up the Wazoo

It fell a few notches for me when Walt blathered to Hank at the dinner table that Heisenberg is still out there, just when Hank gave up.

He's very proud of the Heisenberg he's created. Doing that is simply flattering his own ego. It's dumb as hell, too. But as cold and calculating as Heisenberg can be, his arrogance will almost always override everything else.

And why would anyone leave the inscribed Walt Whitman poetry book on the can, when their brother-in-law is DEA?

Because he thinks he's so good he could never be caught. You may think leaving the big showdown to a book left in the WC is a bit of a convenience, but whatever else it could have been would have been caused by this only "weakness" Heisenberg has: he thinks he's a God.

It'd summarize my principle grief as 'inconsistent characterization'. Hank is both panicked blow-hard buffoon and hardened super-sleuth. Walt is ruthless criminal mastermind and stoopid idiot. Jesse is oversensitive EMO and willing gangster. Skyler is righteous with indignation and conspiratorial. Gus is uber-careful and then throws his lot in with the clearly unstable Jesse.

All these antagonistic elements make perfect sense to me in a show where characters are supposed to be real human beings, not romanticized heroes.

So much of the dramatic situations could have been avoided (were it real life) if people just talked. The entire Gus-Walt-Jesse-Mike dynamic, for instance. The minimalist dialogue is paired down with long pauses and intense stares. Who acts like that in real life?

Proud people.

I thought Gus was a good foil, but that he ultimately chose to go with the junkie he wanted killed over the master chemist that wanted to do business was a bit of a reach to me, especially since the only reason why Gus' relationship had broken down with Walt in the first place was due to this same junkie he wanted killed...

Gus is pretty much the same as Heisenberg, only a bit more careful and not letting emotion decide over reason. And reason tells him he would never get meth as nearly as pure as Heisenberg's without him or Jesse. Jesse can cook it perfectly , as proven again in the last episodes. He knows the kid's a big risk, but he's willing to take it for the money.

I'm not trying to defend this show at all costs, but what you're both saying here is to me precisely what made Breaking Bad so damn good. I'm tired of characters who act heroically all the time. Show us human beings, goddammit.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-10-03 17:18:20)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Except that real people don't behave like this, not even close. None of these individuals would function in the real world with how they act towards other people. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's great TV, but non-heroic doesn't equal reality.

Gus points out quite a few times that he doesn't deal with junkies, thinks it's a bad idea, and even repeatedly refers to Jesse specifically as a liability. It's Jesse that stirs up the trouble that ultimately forces Walt into conflict. So yes, I found it really out of character for him to suddenly switch to backing Jesse, even when for all its intents and purposes it was back to business and making boat loads of dosh. Why take the risk when it's made emphatic that the lab needs to be active every day?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

"Frustrating?" How do you mean? I think that season 4 is one of the best seasons of television ever, and definitely Breaking Bad's best.

I found there was a lot of repetition in the character dynamics going on, and felt that we were going over the same territory. Once again, our two leads are at odds with each other, in spite of how they start off having literally killed people for each other. And I found nearly all of the characters became so antagonistic towards each other that a lot of the drama seemed contrived. Walter, especially, vascilates between persuasive and abusive too often and seems to sometimes say stuff just to keep the drama going. Such that the split with Jesse seemed unconvincing to me, since it mostly relied on Jesse's stupidity and naivety (which comes and goes depending on the needs of the plot). Then it seemed to get even more improbable when the only solution a really smart person could conceive was apparently to poison a child and blame it on Gus, which is so batshit crazy I couldn't buy it.

I thought Gus was a good foil, but that he ultimately chose to go with the junkie he wanted killed over the master chemist that wanted to do business was a bit of a reach to me, especially since the only reason why Gus' relationship had broken down with Walt in the first place was due to this same junkie he wanted killed...

The fifth season also had similar problems. Once again, Jesse's going through a long bout of self-pity and depression (except this time I honestly didn't understand why) and again Skylar and Walt are back in the same space (which again gets reversed).

That's a good critique, redxavier, and all valid points usually lost in the orgiastic praise for the show. It fell a few notches for me when Walt blathered to Hank at the dinner table that Heisenberg is still out there, just when Hank gave up. And why would anyone leave the inscribed Walt Whitman poetry book on the can, when their brother-in-law is DEA?

It'd summarize my principle grief as 'inconsistent characterization'. Hank is both panicked blow-hard buffoon and hardened super-sleuth. Walt is ruthless criminal mastermind and stoopid idiot. Jesse is oversensitive EMO and willing gangster. Skyler is righteous with indignation and conspiratorial. Gus is uber-careful and then throws his lot in with the clearly unstable Jesse.

So much of the dramatic situations could have been avoided (were it real life) if people just talked. The entire Gus-Walt-Jesse-Mike dynamic, for instance. The minimalist dialogue is paired down with long pauses and intense stares. Who acts like that in real life?

No, you missed the whole point of that scene! Walt's ego is so massive that he can't take the fact that his achievements are being passed off on someone he considers as inferior as Gale.

I also think you're confusing "inconsistent characterization" for "character complexity." Walt is brilliant, yes, but no one is a perfect genius all the time. Hank begins the show as a buffoon, but his injuries force him to use his mind rather than his fists to solve crimes, and he grows as a detective. Skyler also develops by the time the final 8 eps begin. Gus doesn't "throw his lot in with Jesse." He pretends to get close to Jesse in order to turn him against Walt, in the hopes that they'll take each other out. This is all made pretty clear by the show, guys.

As to your last point, you could say the same thing about iconic scenes from spaghetti Westerns. And the show is clearly emulating that genre.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Trailer for the spanish-language remake of Breaking Bad. I swear to god this is real and not a parody skit:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Trailer for the spanish-language remake of Breaking Bad. I swear to god this is real and not a parody skit:

The main character's name is, I'm not joking, Walter Blanco. His wife's name? Cielo Blanco. Cielo being Spanish for "Sky."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So in this version is Gustavo Fring going to be a white guy?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If so, I sure hope he manages an American-style restaurant called "The Chicken Brothers".

Instead of "a trip to Belize," maybe Saul Buenohombre's euphemism for murder will be "a siesta in Baltimore."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another fun detail: Apparently, RVs aren't common in South America, so Walter Blanco and Jose Rosas are cooking out of a dilapidated bus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Instead of Bacon spelling out his age on his eggs, it's chorizo on his huevos.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://media.avclub.com/images/439/439368/original/627.jpg?2486

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the pilot, Cielo will give Walter a disinterested Spanish hand job.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thankfully, "mineral," in Spanish is, "mineral."  One less word to translate!

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh my. The new Jesse is muy guapo.

Not wild about Walter Blanco. That guy is clearly ready to bust a cap in anyone's ass from day one.

It will be interesting to see if the remake remains fairly literal or if it starts the same and then develops in a completely different direction, as happened with The Office.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lydia is super Scottish.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, she's the blacksmith in A Knight's Tale smile

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/590d7eb7cba81bc3f1107ae07e914c9b/tumblr_mtukbrYbPo1rmequvo1_500.png

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

AshDigital wrote:

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/590d7eb7cba81bc3f1107ae07e914c9b/tumblr_mtukbrYbPo1rmequvo1_500.png

http://i.imgur.com/aKFEJ.jpg

This is my new favorite wallpaper.

http://i.imgur.com/pujjE17l.jpg

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://clickingbad.nullism.com

I found this game about 12 hours ago. It rapidly consumed most aspects of my life.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

There's no midget in this, so I'm calling it a fake.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

dj_bakerman wrote:

CANON

Thumbs up Thumbs down