Re: What's your verdict on GRAVITY? (*SPOILERS* are likely)

Except every goddamned movie these days is almost entirely CG.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh jeez, really? That isn't really the point, BDA.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.troll.me/images2/syndrome/everyone-can-be-super-and-when-everyones-super-no-one-will-be.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Again, not the point. That has nothing to do with what I was moaning about what the dude was moaning about. Or something.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I just read on another forum a dude saying the FX in Gravity weren't all that special.

It is exactly what you were talking about.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-11-18 17:13:43)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I didn't say anything at all about most films being entirely CG. I was talking about how the film looked. I was talking about CG but what you said about all films being in CG was not my point.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-11-18 17:15:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You were complaining about somebody not noticing that this particular gem was very shiny when it's sitting in a store display filled with shiny gems.

It's NOT special, it's another really well done piece of VFX, just like every other tentpole movie out there. Why should it get special treatment over every other movie released this summer.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

No.....no.....he said the FX were not that special, that they looked shit. Which I disagree with.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a massive gap between not special, and looked like shit. Which is it?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh for fuck's sake, BDA. Really? He said both, alright. Take it up with him.

Bloody sorry I mentioned it now.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-11-18 17:20:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you had said "Nothing special, looked like shit." when you originally mentioned it, this wouldn't have happened. Language bitches, it does stuff.

So thank you ladies and gentlemen, this has been another episode of the Internet Show. Come back next week when somebody misinterprets something else!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

If you had said "Nothing special, looked like shit." when you originally mentioned it, this wouldn't have happened. Language bitches, it does stuff.

Yeah, nothing condescending about that statement at all.

Oh and I'm pretty sure something close to it would have happened either way.....

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-11-18 17:29:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm walking away now. You said something lacking a piece of information, I reacted to it, you reacted back based on the information you had and I didn't, misinterpretation and crossed signals happened, it's the internet that's what happens.

So yes, to the person who though Gravity's FX looked like shit. You are an idiot.

There, problem solved.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-11-18 17:33:15)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't feel as though I did say anything lacking any piece of information. My original statement is exactly what I wanted to say. But yeah, let's walk away.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Tangent: A story about space? I'm curious now smile

It's a screenplay I was writing (on and off for about 2-3 years) about an astronaut who gets knocked out during an accident during an EVA and how the rest of the crew have to send out another to rescue him, except the rescuer is an astronaut who's been 'grounded' due to sickness. The story is essentially about mistakes and the various ways different people deal with them. It's what my avatar is all about (though it's just from a random piece of artwork).

I spent a lot of time researching (which is probably half the fun of doing these sorts of projects) and watching actual EVA footage as well as thinking about how the bad stuff could happen, specifically what could cause the accident without meteor shower/aliens/random debris. In the end, I made it the SAFER itself.

A small part of me is annoyed I was beaten to the punch. But I did smile during my viewing as the first few minutes of Gravity were similar to what I had written - a female astronaut feeling under the weather as she works hard on an EVA gets mission control piping in with observations from medical, which she attempts to brush aside.

Last edited by redxavier (2013-11-18 17:57:56)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Tangent: A story about space? I'm curious now smile

It's a screenplay I was writing (on and off for about 2-3 years) about an astronaut who gets knocked out during an accident during an EVA and how the rest of the crew have to send out another to rescue him, except the rescuer is an astronaut who's been 'grounded' due to sickness. The story is essentially about mistakes and the various ways different people deal with them. It's what my avatar is all about (though it's just from a random piece of artwork).

I spent a lot of time researching (which is probably half the fun of doing these sorts of projects) and watching actual EVA footage as well as thinking about how the bad stuff could happen, specifically what could cause the accident without meteor shower/aliens/random debris. In the end, I made it the SAFER itself.

A small part of me is annoyed I was beaten to the punch. But I did smile during my viewing as the first few minutes of Gravity were similar to what I had written - a female astronaut feeling under the weather as she works hard on an EVA gets mission control piping in with observations from medical, which she attempts to brush aside.

Nice. Must have been kind of weird to see that up on the screen.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has this made the rounds yet?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/g … dra-657919

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Just saw that myself. Wish there was more to it, but it's still really cool that they took the the time to make it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

It's NOT special, it's another really well done piece of VFX, just like every other tentpole movie out there.

The extent to which this film is created in VFX is far beyond other tentpole films. GRAVITY is on a level with AVATAR in terms of VFX achievement.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Good to see Gravity is being rewarded at the box office. It just cracked the all-time top #100 for half-a-billion+, so looks to be a highly profitable ROI. That'll hopefully mean a fully-featured blu-ray box set.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

It's NOT special, it's another really well done piece of VFX, just like every other tentpole movie out there.

The extent to which this film is created in VFX is far beyond other tentpole films. GRAVITY is on a level with AVATAR in terms of VFX achievement.

And this movie isn't making waves simply because of the technical achievement or the "cool VFX". It's the overall visual experience. And in a movie, the visuals are a big deal. It doesn't matter how they achieved the visuals they did, whether it was VFX or they went up into space and staged it all.

There are a lot of high-grossing movies out there that don't have much going for them beyond cool-looking effects, and I think that's why people tend to downplay visuals sometimes. This movie is different. It's not about splosions and CG robots. They created an incredible audiovisual experience that's never been matched before. It takes you for a ride, and it's not something that should be brushed off. This isn't Transformers or Thor.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I'll say this right now, I think Gravity is a much bigger game-changer than Avatar was, both in terms of VFX and filmmaking technique. This feels like a new cinematic medium entirely, something ultra immersive and experiential that takes the in-the-moment intensity from first person videogames, and adapts it for the film format.

I honestly think this could be a blue-print for many movies going forward as a fundamentally different way of telling a story visually. It's the best next step past the Found Footage genre. That genre tries to disorient the user to try to simulate the visceral experience of being there, but the end result is usually that the movie actually distances you from the events happening by making you feel like you're watching a recording.

Cuaron's approach is like the next best version of those kinds of movies, where instead of disorientation, you feel completely and utterly like you're there in the moment, and there's no cuts to break you out of that reality. It's almost less of a movie, than it is an experience. Wanna feel like you're in space? Watch Gravity in Imax 3d. What's stopping us from having an "Abyss"-style thriller filmed in this same aesthetic to capture the experience of being underwater? It feels like a whole host of possibilities has been unleashed by the success of this one movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I'll say this right now, I think Gravity is a much bigger game-changer than Avatar was, both in terms of VFX and filmmaking technique. This feels like a new cinematic medium entirely, something ultra immersive and experiential that takes the in-the-moment intensity from first person videogames, and adapts it for the film format.

I honestly think this could be a blue-print for many movies going forward as a fundamentally different way of telling a story visually. It's the best next step past the Found Footage genre. That genre tries to disorient the user to try to simulate the visceral experience of being there, but the end result is usually that the movie actually distances you from the events happening by making you feel like you're watching a recording.

Cuaron's approach is like the next best version of those kinds of movies, where instead of disorientation, you feel completely and utterly like you're there in the moment, and there's no cuts to break you out of that reality. It's almost less of a movie, than it is an experience. Wanna feel like you're in space? Watch Gravity in Imax 3d. What's stopping us from having an "Abyss"-style thriller filmed in this same aesthetic to capture the experience of being underwater? It feels like a whole host of possibilities has been unleashed by the success of this one movie.

I agree and am truly hopeful for that kind of revolution, especially for space based movies smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree. AVATAR used undeniably groundbreaking filmmaking techniques, but did so with a target goal of making a fairly typical movie, though a prettier one. GRAVITY used equally groundbreaking techniques in the service of a particular, crafted-to-the-context experience.

I've said before that the problem with 3D has been that filmmakers continue to make films the way they do in 2D -- that if there's a validity in the 3D medium, it will require the development of a different cinematic grammar. (If I may toot my own horn, I had a suspicion it would involve longer shots, since the refocusing of eyes and brain between cuts is much of what makes 3D distracting, and I noticed the longer shots in BEOWULF were more successful; but I'd certainly never have dared to think of anything on the order of GRAVITY.) If 3D filmmaking does indeed develop into its own language, GRAVITY may not turn out to speak it fluently, but it's at least the Rosetta stone.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I agree. AVATAR used undeniably groundbreaking filmmaking techniques, but did so with a target goal of making a fairly typical movie, though a prettier one. GRAVITY used equally groundbreaking techniques in the service of a particular, crafted-to-the-context experience.

I've said before that the problem with 3D has been that filmmakers continue to make films the way they do in 2D -- that if there's a validity in the 3D medium, it will require the development of a different cinematic grammar. (If I may toot my own horn, I had a suspicion it would involve longer shots, since the refocusing of eyes and brain between cuts is much of what makes 3D distracting, and I noticed the longer shots in BEOWULF were more successful; but I'd certainly never have dared to think of anything on the order of GRAVITY.) If 3D filmmaking does indeed develop into its own language, GRAVITY may not turn out to speak it fluently, but it's at least the Rosetta stone.

Yes, longer takes and a steadier camera and fewer elements on screen. Kubrick's cinematic grammar would have been ideal. Shaky-cam, trigger-happy editing, and Bay's 'fucking the frame' destroy the 3D experience. You'd think film-makers would have worked this out by now. And it's not like Cuarón adapted his style for 3D - long takes is what he's known for anyway, so it might have just been a fortunate coincidence.

The Matrix trilogy, with its ultra slow-mo bullet-time action sequences would have been suitable for 3D.

Last edited by avatar (2013-11-25 13:09:03)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down