Topic: What Are You Watching - TV Edition

The TV version of the "last movie you watched" thread. More of a place for a continuing dialogue about what you're watching than just one massive thought dump at the end of it.

To start, I'll contradict that, by saying I finally just finished The West Wing.

And wow, that is an amazing piece of television right there. There is definitely a...I hesitate to call it a rocky patch because that implies it was bad, which it definitely wasn't, but a slight bump in the road, as the show had to reorient itself halfway through when Sorkin left. But within a season it had figured itself out again and was back on peak form, but with a noticeable tonal shift.

All in all, absolutely fantastic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: What Are You Watching - TV Edition

I'm currently rewatching Studio 60 actually. I'd forgotten quite how good it was.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I try to keep up with:
How I met your mother
Bones*
Castle*
Daily Show

*-My lady is into the procedurals, and the leading men.

Breath bated for new eps:
Sherlock
House of Cards
(fine I'll admit it) Breaking Bad (Netflix didn't have the final season yet, last I checked)
Ark(...?)

Slightly less bated:
Slogging through "Heros" in fits and starts, I mostly like the eye candy.
Quickdraw (Hulu orig, Self-Aware western, a bit silly and tonally odd)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't watch too many shows regularly.

- Stewart/Colbert
- Walking Dead
- Bob's Burgers (and Archer, when it comes back)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- ...nope, that's it

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Currently watching:
- Homeland (interesting season so far)
- Castle (I call this comfort TV, also funny and smart with a bit of cute)
- How I Met Your Mother (better than it has been)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (makes me laugh, so far so good)
- Space Brothers (amazing anime about astronauts in training)
- Daily Show /The Colbert Report (probably more daily show at this point)
- Big Bang Theory (mostly when there's nothing else to watch)

I was watching SHIELD (agents of) but have actually fallen behind (3-4 episodes), and I may have lost the will to continue, which is ironic since I said I would keep watching it on the Extended Edition because... what else would I watch.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Currently -
Star Trek TNG
Buffy

Not a very extensive list, but school has been particularly demanding this term. I'd like to start getting into Classic Who, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I was watching SHIELD as well, but I completely lost interest after the 2nd or 3rd episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

According to my snatchlist, these are the shows I've been watching the last two years:

http://i.imgur.com/nFkpO84.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aCG7CjA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tvK9R0O.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gHyLfqn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G5gtlEy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dFM30LL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DsbMqua.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w1k2kHe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/S0fgnAd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8WgBMgE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UrTxTzX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tFw7ig8.jpg

I'll eventually pick back up House of Cards, and I've been meaning to watch Mad Men.

If I could take only one channel to a desert island, it would be BBC Four.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Parks and Rec
Mind of a Chef
Fraggle Rock (with my son)
The Ultimate Fighter
Man at Arms (web series)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Currently watching Futurama. God, I missed out. smile

http://i.imgur.com/fDBdMBn.gif

Last edited by Saniss (2013-11-19 18:41:54)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's the stuff I'm watching that I would recommend to nearly anybody:

Homeland
It started this season sluggish, but the writers are killing it now. Mandy Patinkin is awesome on it, so is Tracy Letts. I jumped on the bandwagon kinda late, but caught up easily. Very addictive.

House of Cards
Season 1 was so damn good, I'm watching it again now. I bet they eventually drop the Spacey-talks-to-camera device. Very few TV shows look like this one. Bring on a Fincher and a big budget and this is what you get. Terrific cast.

Masters of Sex
I think this is the best new show I've seen in a while, and no one I know knows it exists. Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan play real-life 50s-era sex researchers Bill Masters and Virginia Johnson. They're both excellent. And Allison Janney is doing what might be her best work ever on this show right now. The first 2 or 3 episodes involve lots of pipe-laying, so the show is slow coming out of the gate. But hang with it. Once Janney's character and a couple of the more interesting side characters get more screen time (around episodes 4 and 5) the storylines begin to converge in interesting ways. I am hopelessly obsessed with this show right now.

Orange is the New Black
I read the nonfiction book when it came out (it was a bestseller), and I love the ways they found to turn it into a series. A yuppie gal goes to prison. That's the premise. It's an ensemble show, though. You'll either dig the way they work flashbacks in, or you won't. I think it's the only way to make the show work, those flashbacks, but that's me. Taylor Schilling, who plays the lead, is a damn good actor. I think it's one of the most well-cast shows out there right now.

Life's too Short
Not everyone's going to love this Curb-Your-Enthusiasm-But-Starring-Warwick-Davis series the way I do. On the show, people give Warwick all kinds of shit because he's an asshole—his height is the last thing people have a problem with. But they do some height jokes, too. I'd recommend the Helena Bonham Carter episode and the series finale. If you're a Star Wars fan, there's frequent jokes, cameos, and references to enjoy. Here's a spoiler that doesn't actually spoil anything plot-wise: the storyline leads to Warwick hooking up with Val Kilmer, and together they try to get investors for their proposed film—"WILLOW 2." It's exactly as absurd as it sounds. They even do a mock poster.

BlackAdder
Seems like I adore Rowan Atkinson so long as he's doing anything but Mr. Bean. (Well, I'll pass on Love Actually, too.) Not every BlackAdder episode is a winner. For my money, the Christmas special is the best thing the show ever put out.

East Bound & Down
Just had the series finale last Sunday, the last 15 minutes of which rose to new level of insanity. Not going to be everyone's cup of tea — the lead character is basically the worst, most narcissistic person imaginable. The humor is raunchy, and the story arcs preposterous, but there's a weird braininess to the show. Seasons 1 and 2 made me laugh a whole lot at stupid crap, and this last season (season 4, I think) had a new kind of complexity to it that was nice to see. Somewhere amid the craziness of this show is a critique of American media, American materialism, and American uber-males — but it's mostly about the toilet humor. Literally, one of the best actors tody, John Hawkes, plays a whole scene on a toilet in season 1.

...Yeah I'm seeing a lot of TV these days.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pipe-laying, Hooking up?

Double double entendre fail.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Withkittens wrote:

I'd like to start getting into Classic Who, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I think the great thing about Classic Who is that you can just jump around and not really lose anything. My suggestion would be to just check out a story from each of the old Doctors and see which ones you like. Once you've got a taste for them, just follow your favourite for a while or carry on hopping around - or if you're feeling brave, marathon the entire thing.

We recently released an Extended Edition episode on Classic Who, so that might help you decide.

http://www.extendededition.net/028-who- … assic-era/

What I'm following lately:

- South Park
- Ja'mie: Private School Girl
- Comic Book Men
- Ross Noble: Freewheeling
- The Big Bang Theory

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:
Withkittens wrote:

I'd like to start getting into Classic Who, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I think the great thing about Classic Who is that you can just jump around and not really lose anything. My suggestion would be to just check out a story from each of the old Doctors and see which ones you like. Once you've got a taste for them, just follow your favourite for a while or carry on hopping around - or if you're feeling brave, marathon the entire thing.

We recently released an Extended Edition episode on Classic Who, so that might help you decide.

http://www.extendededition.net/028-who- … assic-era/

Thanks for the advice. American Netflix seems to have a smattering of episodes from every era, so I'll start with that.
Also, you can count me as a regular listener of EE from now on. I've been going back and listening to the older episodes (started with the RTD vs Moffat.) Good stuff so far.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Withkittens wrote:

Also, you can count me as a regular listener of EE from now on. I've been going back and listening to the older episodes (started with the RTD vs Moffat.) Good stuff so far.

See my avatar? That is my response to you, glad you're enjoying them smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Also watching The Michael J Fox Show, which I find quite amusing (Mr Fox is infectiously charming), and started Space Battleship Yamato 2199, a remake of the classic anime series which is pretty cool.

Last but not least, Key & Peele - which is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't watch a lot of TV shows. I've got 3 that I'm keeping track of at the moment.

Community: This show first aired in my first semester of community college, and it's had me hooked from the beginning. Yes season 4 was disappointing, but I'm optimistic about season 5... and 6... and the movie...

Psych: James Roday is hilarious, and Dulé Hill is a great complement. The comedic timing and writing is just great. The show has just about run its course going into its 8th season, but it's been great to this point. Always a joy to watch.

Game of Thrones: I don't have HBO so I haven't even seen season 3 yet. From what I hear it's a doozie. Can't wait to get my hands on the Blu-Ray.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/qzFy4z0.png

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The 4th season of Community is fascinating. All the ingredients are there except one, and the show is just lifeless as a result. It's like replacing the milk in Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper with more water.

I'm enjoying Elementary, altho it feels like it's treading water for the past few episodes, despite the addition of Rhys Ifans as Mycroft.

I'm also occasionally streaming Black Books, which is a terrific Britcom from a while back with Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey, as well as some Campion, which is a Chrystiesque period mystery with Peter Davison as a kind of PG Wodehouse version of Sherlock Holmes.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Black Books is probably my favorite British TV show right after Doctor Who. Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran are two awesome sumbitches I want to have children with.

I've watched Elementary for a while - maybe the ten first episodes - but it felt a bit too much like a "one episode, one case" show, which felt weird after seeing Sherlock. The cinematography isn't quite as good either. Jonny Lee Miller is really great, though. I'll probably pick it up where I left off sometime in the future.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-11-25 16:05:45)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomorrow I'll watch the last episode of Monk. After that, I dunno... I'm getting the urge to re-watch Babylon 5 again, it's so fuckin' awesome.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Threshold-

http://media.ove.cybermage.se/2010/05/threshold-show.jpg

I watched the first episode of Threshold here a couple weeks ago and, predictably, got busy and forgot to write this up.

I had been wanting to watch Threshhold for a while now, it stars Carla Gugino, Brent Spiner and Peter Dinklage so needless to say really.

It's your fairly standard "Alien thing is found so the ragtag team of troubled scientists is assembled by the "worst case scenario" person to go investigate!", there's definitely a very strong Sphere influence here.

Obviously I've only seen the first episode so far so I can't really speak to the larger story or things at work. But so far, it hasn't really impressed too much. There's some interesting ideas at work, the design of the alien craft is pretty cool. But unfortuantely it's buried under so much ham-fisted and on the nose writing it becomes almost painful to watch at times.

Most of the inter-character dialouge is an as-you-know extravaganza, and the entire show really feels like it was written by someone who's only understanding of the human race was learned from wikipedia. The (loosely used term here) "science" is surface level at it's best. And I don't say that in the typical sci-fi "oh that can't do that" way, but it feels like the scientific concepts/interpersonal relationships are all understood in a very shallow way and executed even more poorly, like my sci-fi fan fic I wrote at 15 got turned into a fully produced show.

All that said though, I am probably going to give it a few more episodes to see where it goes. Plus Dinklage and Spiner are great and I love watching them do thier thing. (Dinklage as the kinda scuzzy womanizer who also happens to be a genious is absolutely hilarious to watch)

So as of episode 1, I would say unless you're like me and have a great love for weird Alien disvovery stories, Dinklage and Spiner, you can probably pretty safely avoid this. I'll report back if anything changes.

Farscape- (Rewatching)-

http://www.henson.com/images/fantasy/farscape/fs-header.jpg

I was in a really weird mood last week, just in one of these really apathetic but still want something to watch moods. So I was just flipping through Netflix trying to find something, stumbled across Farscape, thought meh, what the hell, flipped through to a random season, picked a random episode and hit play.

And now I'm rewatching it.

Little bit of back story of me and farscape. I started watching Farscape in High School (probably 2008ish or so) so it had already long come and gone. I watched it all and absolutely loved the hell out it, it's decidedly among my favorite shows of all time. I've tried rewatching it a few times over the years, I always get about 1/2-3/4 the way through season one and fizzle out. Don't get me wrong, season 1 is great, but there isn't much to really sink your teeth into on a rewatch. So I've seen most of season 1, 3-4 times.

So back to last week. Turns out the episode I picked was the first half of a 2 parter near the beginning of season 3.

And OH MY GOD YOU GUYZ THIS SHOW. Holy crap. I had forgotten just truly how amazing it is.

I feel like I'm watching a lot of this for the first time. (I remember the broad strokes of the story, and that's about it as it turns out). It is fantastically twisted, bizarre... the episode I watched last night had about %30 of it done as a looney tunes cartoon... and yet there is something so deeply human about it. It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

Farscape was made by Jim Henson Productions and had full access to the Henson workshop, so the aliens are truly alien in a way I've never seen before or since. There is something so amazing about having this massive alien beasts be there, really, truly there, that you really can't get with a CG creature, no matter how good the effects. And I think in large part due to the creature shop the world feels lived in, real, yet still entirely alien.

On a story telling level it absolutely blows me away with how extreme they can go with absolute bizarrity and soul crushing humanity (often at the same time) and still get away with it 100 percent. It's absolutely fantastic.

Definitely a must watch for any sci-fi fan... or anyone really.

Plus... and I'm just throwing it out there....Claudia Black in tight leather clothing... yeeeep.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-12-11 05:42:32)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Ohh, Threshold!

I remember watching that pilot episode the day it aired and thinking it was amazing.
The show definitely goes downhill after that and becomes pretty boring "monster of the week", also it was cancelled before it ever really got going.

Of course, I was like 12 at the time, so the dialogue didn't really bother me then.
Directed by Peter Hyams of all people.

It's also really weird to go back and watch network dramas from 10 years ago, living with HBO and AMC for 5 years, you forget how shitty TV production values used to be.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-12-11 05:40:30)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@BDA
Farscape was definitely one of those shows that hit me at the right time too. I still have the first issue of the official magazine (back when there was such a thing wink ). I trailed off with the whole Scarran War started but might be revisiting it soon. Thinking of buying the new complete series set that is out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Buddy of mine wrote for Threshold.  Basically, at the behest if the network, 4 episodes worth of story got crammed into the pilot.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I've tried rewatching it a few times over the years, I always get about 1/2-3/4 the way through season one and fizzle out. Don't get me wrong, season 1 is great, but there isn't much to really sink your teeth into on a rewatch. So I've seen most of season 1, 3-4 times.

So that's what it was! I've tried rewatching the series a couple of times and I lose interest around or before half a dozen episodes into the first series. I remember really liking the series overall though, and I couldn't work out what the problem was.

Is there a particular point (season 2, finale of season 1) that you recommend as a starting point?

I'm coming up to my annual obligatory Babylon 5 rewatch. Gods I love that series. It haunts me.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down