Re: What were your TOP 5 MOVIES of 2013?

The year is not over yet, I still have to see The Hobbit, Anchorman 2, Walking With Dinosaurs, Black Nativity etc. but so far...

Gravity
The Way Way Back
Les Miserables
The World's End
The Conjuring

Last edited by Sam F (2013-12-10 08:55:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FAVORITE

1) Breaking Bad, S5E14 - "Ozymandias" (I don't give a shit, it counts)
2) The World's End
3) Gravity
4) Elysium
5) Evil Dead

LEAST FAVORITE

1) Now You See Me
2) Now You See Me
3) Now You See Me
4) Now You See Me
5) Now You See Me

NEED TO SEE
Mud
12 Years A Slave
Side Effects
Upstream Color
Oblivion
The Iceman
Fruitvale Station
RED 2
The Wolverine
You're Next
Riddick
Rush
Prisoners
Don Jon
Metallica: Through The Never
Captain Phillips
Escape Plan
The Counselor
Thor: The Dark World
Inside Llewyn Davis
American Hustle
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
The Wolf of Wall Street

I finally got around to NOW YOU SEE ME and I didn't think it was that bad, frankly. Certainly not good, but there were way, way, way worse movies this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I finally got around to NOW YOU SEE ME and I didn't think it was that bad, frankly. Certainly not good, but there were way, way, way worse movies this year.

I thought it was only mediocre, but then the ending twist came and it went straight into utter shit territory. I can't even wrap my mind around how anyone thought the ending was a good idea or made sense in the slightest. It's like they decided to go with the most implausible scenario possible just to surprise people.

iJim wrote:

From what I've gathered, other than Gravity, I haven't missed anything this year.

Yep. And 2014 isn't looking that promising either, give the recent 'disappointment rate' of about 80%

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recently saw the Incredibles on BluRay. Does that count if it's the first time in that format?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Personally, I haven't seen much, and continue to be the outlier in terms of liking Star Trek Into Darkness.

Also, I'll through Desolation out there since I will be seeing that and am anticipating good things smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Personally, I haven't seen much, and continue to be the outlier in terms of liking Star Trek Into Darkness.

I won't go so far as to say I really liked it, but I definitely surprised at how much I liked it. Dammit, I really just need to do a write up for it. All right, imma do a write up for the last movie you watched thread.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I won't go so far as to say I really liked it, but I definitely surprised at how much I liked it. Dammit, I really just need to do a write up for it. All right, imma do a write up for the last movie you watched thread.

And here I was thinking I wasn't contributing wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't see much this year, but:

Upstream Color
Blue Is the Warmest Colour
The World's End
Nebraska
The Spectacular Now
Gravity

Won't number, order changes on mood and circumstance.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I like the first hour, forty. That's the length of some movies, is that good enough? big_smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I like the first hour, forty. That's the length of some movies, is that good enough? big_smile

I'll take it lol

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I'll take it lol

Heh, good, cause that's basically the crux of my opinion.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Update - saw Captain Phillips last night.  Solid movie and Hanks nails it like always, but it didn't change my Top Five.   

Tonight - Inside Llewyn Davis.  The Coens have always been hit-or-miss with me but when they hit, it's usually a home run.  Fingers crossed...

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

I'll take it lol

Heh, good, cause that's basically the crux of my opinion.

Again, Ill take it, mostly because at least the two of you were willing to watch it and give it a chance. The majority of fan negative opinions (this is not reflecting on anyone here, just FYI) fall under two categories. 1, it is a mindless action flick or 2, it is an aping of Wrath of Khan. Both starts lead to the conclusion that it sucks, or even the more extreme opinions, like Abrams is a racist, hateful, anti-Trek hack who wants to tear that franchise down before moving on to his first love, Star Wars.

Sorry for the derail...now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Tonight - Inside Llewyn Davis.  The Coens have always been hit-or-miss with me but when they hit, it's usually a home run.  Fingers crossed...

I've been hearing that it's a home run. It's the only movie this month that I really, really want to see.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

or even the more extreme opinions, like Abrams is a racist

Wait, what?

Ewing wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Wait, what?

In his casting of Cumberbatch as Khan, since we obviously couldn't have a genetic superman who is white. That's ridiculous...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The role was originally going to be played by Benicio del Toro, but he left the project. So it's not like they didn't try to get the character's ethnicity right initially. But Cumberbatch was flavor-of-the-month, and they wanted to get some hype from his rise to stardom.

Unfortunately, none of his films this year were well-received, so he didn't become as big a deal as people thought he would.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Ewing wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Wait, what?

In his casting of Cumberbatch as Khan, since we obviously couldn't have a genetic superman who is white. That's ridiculous...

I can see how it creates a problem in terms of logic of the universe - Khan existed before the new timeline, why the fuck is he white now - but I highly doubt Abrams is racist. Benicio del Toro was the first choice for the role, but it fell through.

Ewing wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Ewing wrote:

Wait, what?

I can see how it creates a problem in terms of logic of the universe - Khan existed before the new timeline, why the fuck is he white now - but I highly doubt Abrams is racist. Benicio del Toro was the first choice for the role, but it fell through.

Yeah, it's not exactly a great argument but it is still there. Also, it isn't even an in universe problem because I can see Admiral Marcus modifying his appearance to help disguise him further. One of the ways Kirk and Co figure him out in "Space Seed" (Khan's first appearance) was via pictures. So, disguise him. The perfect plan wink

But, yeah, there was a whole stink about it and even an article. I'll have to find it again.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The thing about Into Darkness that bugged me even more than white Khan was how Carol Marcus is suddenly British. Why?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If Into Darkness is anything, it's sexist. Frankly it's insulting for a series that pioneered equality and was a step forward in gender roles to take a character that was a brilliant anti-war scientist and make her do a gratuitous Michael Bay style stripping scene, while contributing nothing to the story. And all Uhura cares about now is her relationship problems.

Argh, lets get off this and stop talking about Star Trek, we're just going to derail the thread with bitching

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Great lists, wow.

I'm scrambling to keep a tally of which films folks are ranking highest. (Not sure how to handle un-numbered lists, but I'll figure something out.)

Also: At this point, I'm picking GRAVITY to win Best Picture, not because I think it is or should be but because I think it's the kind of capital-"M" Movie that the academy likes to recognize.

Last edited by Rob (2013-12-10 22:46:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

Also: At this point, I'm picking GRAVITY to win Best Picture, not because I think it is or should be but because I think it's the kind of capital-"M" Movie that the academy likes to recognize.

That is the exact reason why 12 Years a Slave is going to beat it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down