Re: Christmas Movies & TV Specials

Owen Ward wrote:

I think it's one of those things where I just bought in to the hype too much. Maybe there's some cultural context I'm missing, or it's one of those that works much better when you grow up with it - but it just didn't really hit me as a seminal Christmas movie. I mean, for something called A Christmas Story - it doesn't really get very Christmassy until half of the way through!

For what it's worth though, I was still grinning like a madman by the end of it.

I think there is a bit of nostalgia, but for me, it is because after watching the movie, my dad would tell stories about how that was like his life growing up, in terms of setting and such. For me, it is the association of the two that makes the movie more memorable.

Honestly, Christmas Story reminds me of Sandlot, or Wonder Years, where you have a narration from a point of view of a specific point in time. The Sandlot is the back drop of the story but it isn't the only thing about the story that matters. Likewise, Christmas is the backdrop but the story really is just told from the child's point of view about the events that make up that Christmas.

This isn't to sound pretentious or snooty. It really is a film that can be hit or miss smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

This isn't to sound pretentious or snooty. It really is a film that can be hit or miss smile

Actually I was about to make a lot of the same points you just did.

My dad absolutely LOVES A Christmas Story, but it's basically about his childhood so he connected with it on that level, and then he grew up with it as well. So we watch it every year.

I enjoy it, it's a cute little movie about Christmas time and winter from the eyes of a kid, and obviously there's a lot in there that I think every kid can identify with, that one thing you really really want for Christmas but your parents say no, freezing your tongue to a pole etc. But it doesn't hit me the same way that it does my dad, just because it's not about me. Although the narration I think is probably the high point of it, or biggest selling point at least. It's got this very unique little vibe to it that you don't see very often. A lot of the narration feels very Douglas Adamsian to me for some reason. When i think of ACS, I usually tend to think about the narration first.

So yes, it's partly generational, partly individual taste, also, I have an inkling that it wouldn't work nearly so well for someone who didn't grow up somewhere where winter=snow and cold. There are so many jokes and just facts of life in ACS centered around winter life that if you didn't grow up with that, you couldn't relate/understand.

To the main question of the thread:

-As I just said, we always watch A Christmas Story, more for my dads benefit than mine (like I said, I enjoy it but it's not really required Christmas viewing EVERY year for me.
-National Lampoons Christmas - Absolutely a classic
-Muppet Christmas Carol (This is pretty much the biggest one for me, every year without fail, I love this movie)
-Sometimes the Grinch, varies between the cartoon and Jim Carey, although i mean honestly I've seen both of them so many times I don't really need to watch them again
-And I don't seek this one out usually, but if it's on tv I definitely won't turn it off; Mickey's Christmas Carol

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-12-22 08:31:32)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

PorridgeGun wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/aMTWPce.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fbJmiEf.jpg

And both are on the telly in the next couple of days smile

XMAS TELLY

Other than switching the channel when the Queen's Christmas Day message comes on (A fine tradition in my family), Top 100 countdowns on Channel 4 (no doubt 100 Greatest Toys will be aired again this year) and FIVE are always great. Top of the Pops specials on the Beeb, Only Fools and Horses marathons on UK Gold, and proper Crimbo fare by Leigh Francis:

Back when Tim Lovejoy was co-presenting, the annual Soccer AM Dance-Off featuring the old production crew was my most anticipated telly event of Christmas, if not the entire year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@fireproof78 - Doesn't sound pretentious at all, sounds more like a great way to spend Christmas to me!

@BDA - I agree, the narration was one of the high points for me. Although, I'm not familiar with the guy who did it and thought it was Adam West for a little while.

@PorridgeGun - Ho Ho Ho Selecta, yes!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130808163705/wallaceandgromit/images/c/cb/The-Wrong-Trousers-wallace-and-gromit-343158_500_375.jpg

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I love Simon Birch, heart strings successfully tugged.

I re-watched Christmas With The Kranks last night and it came up short for me. It kinda seemed like it was trying to be like Home Alone(in spirit) and fell flat. It's based on John Grishams's Skipping Christmas, which is a great book- very funny. Don't let the film dissuade you from the book, it's one of Grisham's best IMO.

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

@BDA - I agree, the narration was one of the high points for me. Although, I'm not familiar with the guy who did it and thought it was Adam West for a little while.

I didn't even know it was done by "SOMEBODY", I've always just found it marvelously well written and performed.

Who does do it?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Jean Shepherd, who wrote the book the movie is based on.   In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash

Squiggly_P wrote:

I thought he had also narrated The Wonder Years, but apparently not.

No, I believe that Wonder Years was narrated by Daniel Stern, of Home Alone fame.

Didn't know Christmas Story was based on a book (thanks, Trey!) smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watch this Tales from the Crypt episode. A greedy woman makes the mistake of murdering her husband while an escaped mental patient dressed in a Santa Claus outfit is on the loose.

Directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Fred Dekker.