Topic: Knossos - A Short Film

This was my term 4 large project, a 3 minute "horror" film, limited to 13 shots, and completed, concept to final render in just under 2 months.

We did ours all green screen...we're masochists...what can I say?

My specific jobs on this project was; I wrote the bloody thing and was one of two 3D artists . Specifically I built and textured: All the experiments, the tubes, both hallways and the space station.

So without further ado, enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/11289890

Chris W.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Knossos - A Short Film

Well, I guess V's greenscreen sets could be worse.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not exactly sure how to take that Greg hmm

And thanks Mayhew.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The movie was pretty rough, but when you got the mood right, it really worked. We especially liked the shot of the alien thing talking, with the sparking behind him.

Obviously you're still learning the tools, and you had a small team and not an awful lot of time, but the compositing and tracking could have been a lot, lot better.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright, granted.

We basically had everything that could go wrong with this kind project, go wrong. Basically starting with the fact that the only green screen we had access to was like 8 foot across. Our shoot date got pushed back by like 2 weeks. And then our camera decided to throw a ton of gain onto everything, and we didn't catch it. We lost like half our 3D models and keying was insanely difficult and the list goes on.

So I'm not excuses but, it was a learning process, and we did probably the hardest thing we could in an insanely short time. (Keep in mind we did this entire thing while also having a full course load the entire 2 months.)

So basically I'm just glad we got a completed, comprehensible thing at the end of it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You just described almost every project I've ever done.  Welcome to showbiz.

Lol, I know. I'm just sayin, it is a student project, and we were basically learning most of it as we went. So don't expect a gem of perfection.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Impressive for what it is. Well played.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you kindly sir.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

A little update, we were recently (well, yesterday) nominated and won a VFS Impact Award in the "Mission Impossible" category for this little piece of work. Granted they are just the internal VFS awards thing, it's campy, it's corny, it's mostly just marketing but it's still kinda cool.

If interested: http://www.vfsimpactawards.com (We are waaaaaaaay at the bottom)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sweet.

It's 8000% better than what I could do, which is limited to a rather fancy PowerPoint presentation. Atmospherically effective.

However, I maintain that no one cares about the fate of a guy in a lab coat. I think it's just cultural conditioning. It falls somewhere between a military uniform and a janitor's coveralls.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Neat piece. An easy way to improve for future projects that involve digital sets is to consider production design a little more throughly. Everything on screen should have a logic and purpose. Full CG spaceship interiors are really hard, in that to do it right the entire environment needs to be realized from the ground up. For example, If that's the scientist's workstation, there would probably be a chair, or at least a stool around somewhere. Dirty the floors, and scuff it near said movable furniture. The alien tubes probably would not have a random distribution throughout the room, but rather grouped together in a specific section of the lab, perhaps with little consoles on each with readouts similar to the hologram bay/desk.

As Gregory flippantly mentioned, V has the same problem - a massive interior of a spaceship that's really clean and ambient occlusion-y with huge halls that serve only to serve three people walking from one end to the other to give the damn thing scale. Details and considerations like that echo up and down your production.

Thumbs up Thumbs down