Topic: FIYH Quick movie info lookup

We talk about movies, a lot. Because of that we mention and reference a lot of movie titles. Some of them are quite known to the general public, some of them not so much. I often find myself doing lot of copy/paste and looking things up on IMDB. So in order to make the process faster and easier I hacked this little tool together to fetch relevant movie data instantly.

http://www.lamer.divisionapps.com/dif/movscraper.gif

1. Select the movie title you want to look up
2. Click 'Get Info'
3. Read

To get rid of the info box deselect everything and click 'Get Info' again (a bit counter-intuitive, I know, I'll add a proper close button later).

In he pic above you could select Brazil from Phi's post and use the info button from the post above.  The buttons are attached to post footers so they're easily accessible and don't get in the way of regular browsing. You can select any text on the page and fetch the data using any info button from any post.

In case you need more details there's also a IMDB link under the title.

To get this working install this:

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … asemonkey/
Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … fkfo?hl=en

and click here: http://lamer.divisionapps.com/dif/fiyh. … er.user.js

It's also important to note that my script merely sends requests and retrieves data from www.omdbapi.com so its creator deserves 99% of the credit for this.

Thumbs up +10 Thumbs down

Re: FIYH Quick movie info lookup

Dude, this is awesome. Like, really really cool.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Most impressive. Well done. What I normally do in Chrome is highlight the text and then right-click 'Search Google For...' but this is way better. What happens if two or more movies have the same title?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You'll get the more recent one. That's how the API works. You can specify the year in the request but that could prove problematic considering how the tool works and it would still be slower than using the link to go to imdb and doing it manually from there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow. Nice work!

Thanks!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love you, man.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is great! Very, very useful. Maybe it could incorporate a Can I Stream It? search.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Test post:

Independence Day

Ghostbusters 2

2010: Moby Dick

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome. How do you close the pop-up once you're done?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Awesome. How do you close the pop-up once you're done?

Deselect the movie title and click "Get Info" again.

This is awesome, Lamer, thanks a ton. big_smile

Last edited by Abbie (2014-01-04 19:21:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really neat little tool!  A quick question just in case I'm missing something obvious.  Can you scroll within the pop-up window?  Whether it's my monitor or my failing eyesight or what, at the size I have the forum text at, the entire pop-up doesn't display.  (Alternatively, I assume there's no (easy) way to have the text in the pop-up be a different size from the main page text?)

I'm already imagining the fun I'll have selecting random bits of text from people's posts and seeing what the movie is (if any) that has that as a title.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you found it useful (or at least fun wink).

sellew wrote:

Alternatively, I assume there's no (easy) way to have the text in the pop-up be a different size from the main page text?

I've got you covered. Reinstall the script using the link in the first post. You can tweak the text size manually using the + and - buttons next to the title.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

This is great! Very, very useful. Maybe it could incorporate a Can I Stream It? search.

What kind of data do you have in mind?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CISI shows all the places online that a movie is available to stream or rent. For this, just Netflix/Amazon would be good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll poke around in my spare time and see what I can do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, that's just downright amazing. If you could add a Netflix instant link to it, too, I'd love you forever tongue
(You can never satisfy a crowd 100%)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:
sellew wrote:

Alternatively, I assume there's no (easy) way to have the text in the pop-up be a different size from the main page text?

I've got you covered. Reinstall the script using the link in the first post. You can tweak the text size manually using the + and - buttons next to the title.

Gor bless ye, guv'ner! :hat tip:

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

this is awesome :3

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would like to re-iterate how much I love this guy.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CISI search has been added. Grab the updated version from the first post. I encourage everyone to test the hell out of it smile

Some test titles:

American Psycho
Godzilla
Star Trek
Speed Racer

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Working great! This is awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down