Topic: Malariathon #6 - Half-Blood Prince

God damn was this a long day.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Malariathon #6 - Half-Blood Prince

You know that thing where you wake up and you think you've got a college class you forgot to study for and you're panicked for a minute? That happens to me with the Malariathon.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Eddie read out my tweet about rotoscoping footage rather than changing lenses which got shot down, I was half remembering this interview with colourist Peter Doyle where he talks about doing that for wider shots.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

This is the one with Color Correction Smackdown 2013: Rumble In The Livestream.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've listened back to a few of the episodes I was not present for and am finding it awfully hard to come up with anything worth saying, as Michael tends to speak it for me, or Teague references things I already said. However! A few worthwhile things finally popped into my head for "Half-Blood Prince," so I'll start making my mark around here with this episode (I would've loved to have said something for "Prisoner," but I literally have nothing to add to that conversation; y'all took the words out of my mouth. Or, in some cases, used my actual words).

*Ahem.*

Color Correction (at the risk of starting a brawl . . .)
Having recently popped in the disc to watch a few favorite moments here and there, the thing I noticed about the color correction is that it gives the film a darker, less lively tone (which is frequently at odds with the material throughout the film's majority); this book is notably where the dementors officially break loose from Azkaban and begin severely affecting their environment, and I almost wonder if this wasn't part of the attempt to mimic that. Overall, I think it simultaneously works and has problems (the most egregious being Michael’s reference to the scene where the Death Eaters fail to break through the Hogwarts barrier). I also think that the color correction linked with the notably liberal use of soft focus makes for a more fantasy, storybook-like appearance (not dissimilar to the look of The Tale of the Three Brothers sequence featured in the following film) that, in a way, seems inappropriate for this film (where the themes have matured and the Wizarding and Muggle worlds are colliding in an escalating war, making for much more dire stakes); I like it, it just seems odd to be used here in this one instance; I would say it would've been best to consistently utilize this look either pre "Prisoner" (for the storybook feel, although I think that's more the soft lens than the color correction) or post "Chamber" if you want it to be attributed to the dementors.

I also never fail to be peeved that the washed out color wasn’t restored for the “19 Years Later” epilogue in "Deathly Hallows - Part 2." To keep the colors so flat in that scene seemed monumentally inappropriate to me, really more of an egregious sin, considering that the look of the films is so colorful initially, before the stakes are raised (I take more umbrage with “Deathly Hallows – Part 2’s” lighting than this film’s color correction).

Effective/Main Mystery
I’d actually be more critical of the mystery plot in “Order of the Phoenix,” which has almost no pay-off for the viewer/reader. The main mystery is, of course, “what is the ‘weapon’ that Voldemort and the Order are after?” When we find out in the book that it’s a prophecy detailing that Harry must kill Voldemort or vice versa, that was not remotely interesting to me as a reader, as I saw that as inevitable from the start (as, I think, most readers did). The secondary mystery (eliminated from the film, though referenced in a deleted scene) is “who sent the dementors to Little Whinging?” I remember when the solution is revealed that it’s Umbridge, like the prophecy, it didn't shake me at all.

While Snape was certainly an obvious and somewhat disappointing choice to be the “Half-Blood Prince,” I think the book at least handles it with notably more grace and depth than the film, dropping hints that the film does not. Like I mentioned frequently in my interviews with Teague, the movies just aren’t that interested in the mystery plots of their source material. The only one that really excels at that is “Deathly Hallows – Part 1,” but nearly all of the work that film does to setup the pieces is completely disregarded in “Part 2.”

Most Attractive
Just a personal side note. As someone who falls under the category of “interested in gentleman,” my pick for most attractive cast member (despite that I very much like Daniel Radcliffe) goes to Christian Coulson (a.k.a. Tom Riddle in “Chamber of Secrets”). Have you seen that guy? Dang, he still looks almost exactly the same. I’ll never understand why they recast him for “Half-Blood Prince.” If Shirley Henderson can play Moaning Myrtle at 30-something years, Coulson could’ve definitely still convincingly played Riddle in this film. Also, he plays for my team. So, ~*yay*~. ‘Cause, you know. I totally have a shot at that.

Last edited by Lupinpatronus (2014-01-29 02:28:42)

"Cuarón is the reason. Cuarón is the why."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lupinpatronus wrote:

Most Attractive
Just a personal side note. As someone who falls under the category of “interested in gentleman,” my pick for most attractive cast member (despite that I very much like Daniel Radcliffe) goes to Christian Coulson (a.k.a. Tom Riddle in “Chamber of Secrets”). Have you seen that guy? Dang, he still looks almost exactly the same. I’ll never understand why they recast him for “Half-Blood Prince.” If Shirley Henderson can play Moaning Myrtle at 30-something years, Coulson could’ve definitely still convincingly played Riddle in this film. Also, he plays for my team. So, ~*yay*~. ‘Cause, you know. I totally have a shot at that.

I assume they recast him less because of his age (though that is the reason given on IMDB) and more to match young Voldemort to Ralph Fiennes.

Also, how you doin Christian Coulson.

Also, Freddie Stroma dancing in his underwear.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I assume they recast him less because of his age (though that is the reason given on IMDB) and more to match young Voldemort to Ralph Fiennes.

I guess I can see that. Although Voldemort is so warped by the magic he's inflicted upon himself (which is made pretty clear in the films without outright saying it, considering he doesn't have a nose), that in a way it wouldn't have really mattered. It's a real shame, considering Coulson would've returned; I believe I read somewhere that he was disappointed not to be asked back. In this case, I would've voted continuity over physical appearances. But I'm also single and would've made any excuse to get Mr. Coulson back on set, if it were up to me. 'Cause, again. My chances. So high.

Well. Hello, rest of my evening.

Last edited by Lupinpatronus (2014-01-29 03:27:29)

"Cuarón is the reason. Cuarón is the why."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've just gotta say thank you for actually doing this! The past month and a half, I've not had to worry about listening material for my drive to and from work day after day, because I know each week I get a new, incredible podcast. Now that I've read the books, I'm going to start from square one and relisten to them. I just wanna say thanks in a thread before it got too long smile

I actually think this might be my favorite film in the series. I think it nails the balance between the sense of humor of the books and the dark dramatic tone of the films.

After the marathon, I think my ranking is 6 > 7.1 > 3 > 7.2 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4

Also, gotta say, I agree with Kyle about the shot of Snape shushing Harry. It justifies why Harry doesn't run up and try to save Dumbledore, which a lot of fans were bothered by. Because in the book, Dumbledore petrifies Harry underneath the invisibility cloak, so he couldn't have helped even if he wanted to. When Harry obeys Snape and stays quiet, it's Harry's last opportunity to stay true to his suspicions. But instead he stays true to Dumbledore, and it fails him. This is a set-up for the reveals in the next book about Dumbledore's motivations regarding Harry, as well as Snape's. I think it's a great moment and I like it a lot more than what's in the book.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-01-29 17:32:57)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Soo... I'm still waiting to get me some Eddie recipes.  big_smile

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Soo... I'm still waiting to get me some Eddie recipes.  big_smile

He's had a lot on his mind of late to be fair:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fight … lain-sight

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, guys, sorry about the delay.  I've got it mostly written out but it was a lot longer of a process than I anticipated channeling them from just muscle memory to actual written instructions.  Teague emailed me the master list of people who requested them, and I swear I will try to finish it tonight.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The washed-out color bugs the crap out of me. But, there may be a bit of a point. When Harry drinks the felix, the color is almost normal. I can easily imagine Harry walking in a hypercolor world under the felix influence. Maybe it's on purpose? (though I hate it)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Jp12x wrote:

When Harry drinks the felix, the color is almost normal.

http://i.imgur.com/x3E5ITT.png
So normal. Very color.

It might have been cool if they HAD done that, but alas.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down