Topic: Rowling Admits That Harry And Hermione Should Have Ended Up Together

Huh!
From the Buzzfeed article

In a new interview, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling admitted she thought Harry and Hermione would have made a better couple than the heroine and Ron.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she said in an interview conducted by Emma Watson in the Sunday Times. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”
Rowling said she knew her change of heart might upset her die-hard fan base.
“I know, I’m sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility,” she said.

The author and the actress agreed that Harry and Hermione “were a better match,” with Watson mentioning that fans had questioned the original pairing.
“I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy,” Watson said.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new … 2014_02_01

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/j … have-ended

Some people, however, will never be satisfied.
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfbbemlIAAA5mnU.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Re: Rowling Admits That Harry And Hermione Should Have Ended Up Together

Ron could have loved Luna real good

http://www.bforbel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Luna.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Had this been four years ago when I was still a raving R/Hr shipper, this would have infuriated me. As is, meh. I don't think H/Hr have much in the way of chemistry in the books; the films definitely amped it up.

Still bookmarks this site under 'Down in Front'

Between your Hitchens sig and your current sig, you may be the coolest person on here right now.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-02-02 17:39:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The problem is, as Zarban pointed out while we were doing the Malariathon, over time Ron became a useless character. Ron and Hermione's skills initially complimented each other, and together they complimented Harry. As time went on, though, especially in the films, Hermione complimented Harry all on her own, and the third leg of the stool became the third wheel. So by the end, he was really only around because Harry liked him. Interestingly, between the Malariathon and this revelation from Rowling, this article came out which I think nails the issue:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/erased … on-weasley

Even Hermione’s book smarts cannot make up for Ron’s practical know-how, a kind of intelligence that often gets no credit at all. More to the point: you cannot be a whiz at chess and be an idiot.

I've always loved Ron, and I think Rowling did too as she was writing it. That made it easy (for both of us) to overlook the fact that she was steadily forgetting to put in objective reasons Ron was lovable and worth having around.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-02-02 17:00:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I prefer it the way it is, it was a lot more surprising and interesting with Hermione and Ron. Plus it allowed Harry to develop relationships with other girls, Ginny especially.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's fine the way it is.

(tho my inner monologue is all squeeeeing right now. yay headcanon  :3)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The problem with the movies, as-is, and relevant to the topic though, is that Harry's interest in Ginny isn't at all explained. It's just suddenly there as an homage to the books and then they're kind of an item suddenly. For a series that focuses primarily on one character, you'd think they'd give that little spark of hope in his life a bit more focus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's be honest, it wasn't handled with any particular elegance in the books, either. His interest in her just suddenly appeared in HBP.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Isn't that sometimes how it goes though? One day, it's like a flip is suddenly switched in your brain and you start seeing someone differently than you did the day before. That's certainly happened that way with for me. I thought the way it was triggered by Harry seeing Ginny with someone else (Dean) was particularly human and truthful to real life. I think that before HBP, Harry was too hung up on Cho to have seen her that way.

Re: Ron/Hermione: I love Rowling, but she will have to pry that relationship from my cold dead hands. tongue

Last edited by Hansen (2014-02-04 13:45:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Harry and Hermione had no romantic chemistry in the books, so I really don't get this at all. Ron and Hermione make a good couple. Why? Because she wrote it well enough that we believed it.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It's not a sustainable relationship. Hermione would get bored with Ron.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Says who?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Me.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

zarban

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I've always loved Ron, and I think Rowling did too as she was writing it. That made it easy (for both of us) to overlook the fact that she was steadily forgetting to put in objective reasons Ron was lovable and worth having around.

These omissions on Rowling's part meant that I steadily lost interest in the Harry Potter series. She's made other Word of God proclamations, and they always seem to be inconsequential fan-service. Either pairing would've been justifiable, if she'd actually made the effort to justify them IN THE BOOKS. I'm glad she had that shit all worked out in her head, but very little of it made its way onto the page. As it stands, none of the romantic entanglements in those books made any sense to me.

iJim wrote:

I've never really understood this claim. Why exactly do you think Hermione would get bored in a relationship with Ron?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have you met Ron?

Nah, I don't care, I just cast aspersions.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ron is almost never nice to Hermione. He's rarely even a good friend; we mostly see him jealous of Harry and Hermione's successes. And the few times he tastes success himself he's kind of insufferable. Hermione is almost never anything but frustrated with him.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Ron is almost never nice to Hermione. He's rarely even a good friend; we mostly see him jealous of Harry and Hermione's successes. And the few times he tastes success himself he's kind of insufferable. Hermione is almost never anything but frustrated with him.

Ron isn't nice to Hermione because he has a crush on her. Hermione is always frustrated with Ron because she has a crush on him. It's not until Deathly Hallows (which, as Mike mentioned on the commentary, is all about growing up) that they're able to get past all that and admit that they really do have feelings for each other. Given that all the time we spend with them is when they're children/teenagers, it can be hard to see how they'd make a good couple. But according to the epilogue, they've been together for almost two decades, so clearly they both matured a lot post-DH.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am going to relay what a friend said about this, because I think he put it much better than I could.

"In a recent interview, JK Rowling stated that she should have had Hermione end up with Harry--but she's wrong. Unless her intent was to make the Harry Potter series into "Twilight". The characters created by authors are, in some ways, like real children. They take on lives of their own and sometimes do things we couldn't have expected or that we dislike. Pairing Harry and Hermione would have been too cliche, with a far less quirky and interesting dynamic than R & H. Plus, Harry marrying Ginny connects him to a real, loving family who accepts magic, completing the 180-degree transformation of his life that began in an abusive and fearful muggle household."

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2014-02-05 17:44:00)

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

For a good, by which I mean bad, example of this, one need only look at the comic strip For Better or Worse. While never perfect, for awhile it was a very nice tale of a family aging in real time, the kids having crushes, relationships, going to college. Then, the creator realized that due to health reasons she'd probably have to retire, and decided to pick an end point and force all her characters to reach it. The result was... catastrophic smile She decided both of the original kids would end up married to their first boyfriend/girlfriend, and wrenched the story there. She truly did not understand what her characters were telling readers, as opposed to what she thought she was saying on her march to that final wedding.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
iJim wrote:

I've never really understood this claim. Why exactly do you think Hermione would get bored in a relationship with Ron?

**Edited for realizing this was a terrible opinion**

Last edited by oTom (2021-11-13 05:08:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it's weird when people start extrapolating what fictional characters do when we're not reading about or watching them.

But I find the notion that Hermione would get bored with Ron fundamentally flawed, because it weights their relationship as adolescents before they fall in love more than from the point of their love emerging, assumes that the characters don't mature, arguably misunderstands one or both characters, and ignores that the epilogue shows them to have been married for at least a decade.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

But I find the notion that Hermione would get bored with Ron fundamentally flawed, because it weights their relationship as adolescents before they fall in love more than from the point of their love emerging, assumes that the characters don't mature, arguably misunderstands one or both characters, and ignores that the epilogue shows them to have been married for at least a decade.

Not to mention ignores all personal experience. Unless of course every single person you knew in high school is still exactly the same as they were in their last year. Frankly I've known way to many couples that got together in the last years of high school, video game bums, slackers and pairings that would make your brain hurt included, that are now happily married with kids, for R/H to even be close to unbelievable.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-02-06 09:36:56)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

**Edited for realizing this was a terrible opinion**

Last edited by oTom (2021-11-13 05:09:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:

Redheads never get the hot birds, or do they...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down