Re: The Empire Strikes Back

downinfront wrote:

Let me ask you non-iPod guys this: how do you get the show every week? Website download or iTunes?

Why would you use iTunes if you didn't have an iPod?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just have to check. If the people who need MP3's aren't using iTunes, then I can use the iTunes RSS feed for the M4Vs.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Why would you use iTunes if you didn't have an iPod?

As a way to organize your music, I assume. I THINK I started using it before there was an iPod. I'd assume though that non-Mac users would be using a different program if they don't have an iPod though.

As for the RSS feed, are you saying there's a special iTunes one? I assumed podcasts just had one feed that any RSS software could use (I've subscribed to podcasts by just copying the link into iTunes).

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think there is. But I'm a big shithead, I don't know.

Actually, probably not. Hm. Does anyone use the RSS who doesn't use it in iTunes?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually a good test would be to go to a site like http://www.podcastalley.com/ and see if the address for a podcast you already subscribe to is the same as the one you got from iTunes.

Hmm, you guys aren't listed there. Maybe someone should go around to these sites and submit your podcast smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

/knows nothing about the podcasting community

/doesn't listen to podcasts

/arguably unqualified for everything

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

/it's easier to think outside the box if you've never seen a box

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's also easy to wind up reinventing the wheel.

/fucking metaphors how do they work

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I download epi's from the website (Namely because I still can't find DiF in the apple store search), I don't have an Ipod, I do use Itunes because it works damn well as a way to play and organize music, and it's free, and I haven't found a better one that isn't related to apple tech, not that I really give a royal rats ass about such things.

Any other questions?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Cool. So it's reasonable to assume that if the site has links to the MP3 and the M4V, changing the RSS feed to M4V would probably go unnoticed.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe you could have 2 versions of the podcast, mp3 and enhanced.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was just coming here to say what Beldar said. Many of the podcasts I subscribe to (of which there are like six, but whatever) have multiple feeds. Ferinstance, fxguidetv comes in medium and large sizes. Just subscribe to whichever one you'd prefer in iTunes.

If you're gonna go down the road of rendering out (is that what audio people call it?) two separate deliverables for each show, I think it'd probably be best to serve them up via their own feeds. You could have the regular feed, and the "Specially for Non-iPod-Owning Weirdos and People Who Are Generally a Bit Thick" feed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we please move this oh so fascinating discussion to the Enhanced thread in off topic?

I keep seeing "New Posts" for the Empire topic and getting excited about the prospect of someone actually talking about the commentary.

I'll mention the commentary. Having listened to Dorkman's reading of the first draft, someone has to do a fan film using that script smile

Also, is there any real idea of what Lucas originally planned for episodes 7-9? Obviously, he changes his mind and personal history every time he's asked (which I feel has to be intentional humor on his part), but all I personally know is a comment in the 1987 Starlog magazine celebrating the 10th anniversary of Star Wars. When asked why Luke doesn't get a girl by the end of Jedi, Lucas comments "You haven't seen the last three movies!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He goes into a bit of detail about un-made trilogies here.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, but that talks about episodes 10-12, his ideas for sort of in universe movies (a droid movie, a wookie movie, etc). I'm more curious about what if anything we're currently getting in the post-Jedi novels was intended for the last three films or if whoever the over all editor is has free reign. That may be in the Secret History of Star Wars book, but it doesn't seem to be on the site itself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I find it amazing how after the total make-shit-up-as-he-went clusterfuck that was the prequel trilogy, there's somehow this lasting conviction that when it came to the sequel trilogy, Lucas totally had a definitive, coherent "plan."

The Secret History of Star Wars book has a chapter (rather, an appendix) on the Sequel Trilogy. It goes into great detail about how completely in flux the ST was. Basically, depending on when you asked Lucas between 1977 and 1983, the "plan" was always something different.

The "Other" mentioned by Yoda in ESB was going to essentially take over as protagonist in the ST and it was going to be essentially unrelated to the OT as we know it. When Lucas decided to just stop at ROTJ, he tied up the loose end by making Luke and Leia siblings and making her the Other, which was not at all the original plan, though he did not appear to have any plan other than to have a new trilogy, new adventures, with wholly new characters. Later, he began to claim that it would be a continuation with Luke, Leia, and Han, but much later in their lives.

For a long time he resisted doing any SW books to continue the story, but ultimately gave in and the Zahn trilogy revitalized SW in popular culture, paving the way for the prequels.

For all intents and purposes, the Zahn trilogy (and to an extent, the graphic novel DARK EMPIRE) are what the sequels were going to be, as far as Lucas ever articulated -- set against the rebuilding of the Republic, they explored the heroes' internal struggles between good and evil, and how, especially when you are given the keys to power (whether it be political, or magical), the line suddenly becomes much less clear.

The prequels, formerly only loosely related to the OT with Obi-Wan as protagonist, became about Anakin instead, and with Episodes 1-6 now charting the life story of this specific character, 7-9 were rendered superfluous and George "Orwell" Lucas began flatly denying that they had ever even been part of the equation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Goddammit, George. Just...goddammit.

Over the past several weeks, I've worked my way through all six movies on various lazy Sunday afternoons. And I've come to a conclusion.

The only real problem I have with the prequels — the only thing that, in my mind, was just never, ever going to work no matter what — is the fact that Anakin was just appallingly miscast. Twice.

If we had it to do over again, there are plenty of ways to improve the story in major and minor ways. But seriously, those prequels could have had the best scripts ever in the history of scripts, and they still would have suffered because the lead character was played by the wrong actors.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He should have pushed hard and gotten Leo or Josh Jackson. He had the money, but he was too cheap.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Let me ask you non-iPod guys this: how do you get the show every week? Website download or iTunes?

From the front page of this very site smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really don't know who could've played Anakin. The only other characters who appear in all the films are the droids (who are, duh, droids, and thus don't change over time), Yoda (puppet) and Obi-wan. Say what you want about the prequels, but Ewan McGregor's performance is pretty much spot-on, as far as I'm concerned … but then again, he's playing a character who's largely the same in the prequels as in the original "Star Wars." His arc, while extant, is nothing compared to Anakin's arc. Anakin had to be an entirely different character from Darth Vader, and yet the same man. It was going to be a tough job, no matter what.

Maybe the fundamental problem was structural. Christiansen was what, in his early 20s when Episode III was filmed? I don't have the character bios memorized, but maybe that's how old Anakin was supposed to be, story-wise, but it just seems like a poor choice all around. It would've been easier, both for the audience I think and also for the poor casting director, if Anakin had been a grown man when he got bolted into the suit, so we could've seen the Darth Vader character in the flesh. I picture somebody with the same overall intensity and presence as Russell Crowe in "Gladiator." I think he was in his mid-30s when that was filmed. I imagine Darth Vader as being this guy who can look you in the eye and tell you he's going to blow up your planet and have you believe it. I don't think that was ever going to happen, no matter what, with a 25-year-old actor. Especially not a 25-year-old Hayden Christiansen.

Okay, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the casting wasn't the only problem.

And … um … yes. I'm technically off-topic. Sorry, Brian. Please, not the face.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Those movies needed someone who could write a script and someone who could direct it, that's what they needed. Better casting and/or better performances would have followed naturally.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gonna throw this out there...

Anakin Skywalker circa episode 3 played by...

Tom Hardy

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooooh.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down