Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy

Oh hey, a blockbuster tentpole comic book movie with a unique personality! Been a while since we've seen one of these.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Does nothing for me. My vibe on this has been that it'll either be a total disaster, or an amazing cult masterpiece. After that trailer, I'm leaning hard towards the former. Not funny, weird, but in a way that seems more stupid than clever. It feels like they don't have a grasp on what the tone of this should be at all.

Could just be a bad trailer, but I ain't feeling it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Does nothing for me. My vibe on this has been that it'll either be a total disaster, or an amazing cult masterpiece. After that trailer, I'm leaning hard towards the former. Not funny, weird, but in a way that seems more stupid than clever. It feels like they don't have a grasp on what the tone of this should be at all.

Could just be a bad trailer, but I ain't feeling it.

There's no way this can be a total disaster. The premise is inherently stupid, and the movie is totally aware of that. It's a self-aware take on Star Wars-style space epics. Star-Lord is Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie, the guy who desperately wants to be notorious.

There's a firm grasp on the tone. It's every shitty sci-fi story you've ever seen without a trace of self-seriousness.

But hey, doesn't matter if you're not feeling it. This movie is having so much fun all by itself that it doesn't need audience validation. The hero literally looks right into the camera and flips you off. That's incredible.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-02-19 05:37:08)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Plus, my theory of "NIN music in the trailer means hit" has usually worked.

So.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Looks promising. I guess they're saving Rocket for the next trailer.

Gotta reel 'em in with the scruffy, goofball human first. Then hit them with the talking raccoon and the sentient tree.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

Looks promising. I guess they're saving Rocket for the next trailer.

Gotta reel 'em in with the scruffy, goofball human first. Then hit them with the talking raccoon and the sentient tree.

You guys did watch the trailer, right?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Neither of them talked.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They mean hearing them talk.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah, well obviously that's what they meant.

Cause a walking, gun toting Racoon and a walking, fighting tree are just an everyday thing these days, but holy shit if them things done talked, WOOOWHEE we'd have ourselves a ballgame.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-02-19 05:50:03)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Didn't even realize that was Karen Gillen as crazy blue alien chick, pretty solid makeup work

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Star-Lord is Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie, the guy who desperately wants to be notorious.

Except that guy ain't no Johnny Depp.  I'm good with the wacky premise and tone.  Except for that lead, who doesn't bring much to the party.   More and more movies seem to be casting abs, not actors.   

That's a role that requires "Nathan Fillion, but younger" to make work.  From what we're shown here, new guy isn't bringing it.

The lead "doesn't bring much"? Look at him go, dude's funny and carries a presence. I'm super pumped for this movie.
Despite my decades of Marvel reading, I've never gotten into the space stuff cuz it was always just weird and uninteresting. Blah blah alien guy, yadda magic gems, badly drawn starship, blue people and galactic conquest, whatever.

This looks awesome and hilarious. The self-aware side that Dr. Sub is referring to is what'll make it great.
It's Marvel's Star Wars, and I think it's gonna be wild.

(Touch of Raiders in that opening scene, too.)

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-19 06:06:01)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Trey wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Star-Lord is Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie, the guy who desperately wants to be notorious.

Except that guy ain't no Johnny Depp.  I'm good with the wacky premise and tone.  Except for that lead, who doesn't bring much to the party.   More and more movies seem to be casting abs, not actors.   

That's a role that requires "Nathan Fillion, but younger" to make work.  From what we're shown here, new guy isn't bringing it.

John C Reilly is absolutely brutal too, that dialogue and that delivery just sucks. I'm all for a rip-roaring light-hearted space adventure-comedy, but that footage feels closer to a parody youtube short than a real movie. Not digging the lighting/sets either. Again, it might be them just holding stuff back, but I ain't feeling it right now.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-02-19 06:06:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Does this mean we will get the Flash Gordon remake?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Cause a walking, gun toting Racoon and a walking, fighting tree are just an everyday thing these days, but holy shit if them things done talked, WOOOWHEE we'd have ourselves a ballgame.

Well, it seems to obvious to everyone else that they meant hearing the characters talk. You get a better feel for the characters that way, although Vin Diesel will just sound like the Iron Giant. Or Vin Diesel

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vapes wrote:

The lead "doesn't bring much"? Look at him go, dude's funny and carries a presence.

He's not funny and carries no presence is exactly what I meant.   

But in his favor, he seems capable of reciting the words in order and he has abs.

I'm reserving judgment because maybe his good stuff is in the rest of the movie.  Just saying I don't see it yet here.

Meanwhile... Zoe Saldana's demented smile?  I like THAT character already.

Jimmy B wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

Well, it seems to obvious to everyone else that they meant hearing the characters talk. You get a better feel for the characters that way, although Vin Diesel will just sound like the Iron Giant. Or Vin Diesel

I just find it amusing that every damn day I come on this forum, another person complains about how shitty modern trailers are and how they routinely fail to accurately represent what a movie actually is. And yet every damn day I come on this forum and find another thread like this, dissecting split second moments of context-less sound and image. So far I've seen the movie written off entirely and defended... by a modern shitty trailer that has every likelihood of misrepresenting the final movie.

So if y'all want to take this seriously, good luck with that, but for now I'll continue to shake my head and laugh at the batshit hilarious awesomeness of the images being put in front of my face.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

How did all that come from me saying 'They mean hearing them talk'? tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't so much a direct shot at your comment...more of using it as a gravity slingshot to get to the main idea I wanted to say.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-02-19 06:41:23)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I see. Well, cool, that's a relief as what I said had nothing to do with your mini-rant big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

He's not funny and carries no presence is exactly what I meant.

Uh huh.
Looks to me like he's going to be a solid rebellious and sarcastic space adventurer in the history of Han Solo, Malcolm Reynolds and the like. Pretty stock character on the surface, but every time I see Chris Pratt in a role, he always draws me in. It'll be fun.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

So if y'all want to take this seriously, good luck with that, but for now I'll continue to shake my head and laugh at the batshit hilarious awesomeness of the images being put in front of my face.

This.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-19 06:55:08)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Trey wrote:

That's a role that requires "Nathan Fillion, but younger" to make work.

Wow, is Nathan Fillion already on Stage 4 of the Ricardo Montalban Career Arc?  Man, that's kinda sad.

Last edited by sellew (2014-02-19 07:48:37)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For Hollywood tentpole movies he is, yeah.

I'm pretty excited, though I am a bit biased, having been a fan of the comic. The fact that THIS of all their properties is getting a film is something I daily can't believe is actually happening.

I do agree a bit with Trey, about not feeling Star-Lord in the trailer, but I don't think they cast him for the "abs". The dude was pretty doughy when he was cast and "abbed up" for the role, so hopefully James Gunn saw something in him we didn't get to see in the trailer.

Ooga-chaka.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seriously Karen Gillan looks awesome in this http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/karen-gillan-GOTG-1.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down