Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

All the character design looks awesome, would love for there to be more just balls out sci-fi cyberpunky stuff like this.

I haven't actually played it, but the designs feel very Mass Effect-y.

(That is a compliment of the highest order)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-02-19 09:33:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Teague wrote:

Plus, my theory of "NIN music in the trailer means hit" has usually worked.

So.

I can think of one major exception that ruined a NIN song because now I forever associate it with a colossal letdown.

Trey wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Star-Lord is Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie, the guy who desperately wants to be notorious.

Except that guy ain't no Johnny Depp.  I'm good with the wacky premise and tone.  Except for that lead, who doesn't bring much to the party.   More and more movies seem to be casting abs, not actors.   

That's a role that requires "Nathan Fillion, but younger" to make work.  From what we're shown here, new guy isn't bringing it.

Oh boooooooooooo. Chris Pratt is fantastic. He's been killing it on Parks and Rec for years. They didn't cast him for his looks. He actually used to be pretty pudgy, and he lost a ton of weight for the role. I think he's hilarious. If you can't get on board with him, then yeah, the movie's not gonna work for you.

Dude was great in The Lego Movie too. 2014 is the Year of Chris Pratt, and I'm so happy he's finally getting a chance to break out.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-02-19 13:06:13)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Plus, my theory of "NIN music in the trailer means hit" has usually worked.

So.

Terminator Salvation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can't deny the Terminator Salvation trailer was fantastic, though. That was my favorite part of the whole movie.
"You think you're human?" "I am human."
The daay the whooole world went awaaay.....
"NOOOOO!"
[chills]

Also, seconding Doctor Sub's words toward Pratt. I haven't seen Parks & Rec yet, but now I want to. Moneyball was where I first noticed him, he was playing kind of a huggable sweetheart. It's gonna be a neat transition watching him play a space asshole.
Plus, omg the LEGO movie. I was all but rolling on the floor, some of his lines were so funny.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-19 15:51:49)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Vapes wrote:

This looks awesome and hilarious. The self-aware side that Dr. Sub is referring to is what'll make it great.
It's Marvel's Star Wars, and I think it's gonna be wild.

Maybe we'll see that green rabbit guy from the Star Wars comic.

(now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars, there's no reason for that race not to appear in future Star Wars stories)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vapes wrote:

Also, seconding Doctor Sub's words toward Pratt. I haven't seen Parks & Rec yet, but now I want to. Moneyball was where I first noticed him, he was playing kind of a huggable sweetheart. It's gonna be a neat transition watching him play a space asshole.
Plus, omg the LEGO movie. I was all but rolling on the floor, some of his lines were so funny.

On Parks and Rec he's basically playing a puppy in human form. Star-Lord is the guy that his P&R character daydreams of being.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And as luck would have it, it's on Netflix. Nice.

-DorkmanScott

bullet3 wrote:

Seriously Karen Gillan looks awesome in this http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/karen-gillan-GOTG-1.jpg

I still would.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Star-Lord is Jack Sparrow from the first Pirates movie, the guy who desperately wants to be notorious.

Except that guy ain't no Johnny Depp.  I'm good with the wacky premise and tone.  Except for that lead, who doesn't bring much to the party.   More and more movies seem to be casting abs, not actors.   

That's a role that requires "Nathan Fillion, but younger" to make work.  From what we're shown here, new guy isn't bringing it.

Chris Pratt has very legit comic chops.  He does great work on Parks and Rec.  As for "casting abs," that is hysterically funny, since he had to lose about 45 pounds to get the lead.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

TASTE THE PRATT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFs3YzxN_E

Last edited by Eddie (2014-02-19 18:46:21)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vapes wrote:

And as luck would have it, it's on Netflix. Nice.

Skip season 1. They didn't get a handle on what the show was until season 2, and by the end all the pieces were in place for the great stuff to follow.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, see - if you've been watching this guy for years on TV then sure, you already like him and you know he can be funny.

I've never seen him until this trailer, and what I saw there makes him look like the next Taylor Kitsch.  I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt, though.

It's just hysterical to hear the Taylor Kitsch comparison to a guy that has exhibited work more similar to Chris Farley than your average Hearthrob Beefcake (Heartbeef?).

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I assume if I binged on a few seasons of his tv show, then next time I saw the trailer I'd think "Yay, my buddy from TV got a movie!"  instead of "Okay, show me what ya got, stranger."   But I don't have that kinda time right now. smile

Just watch the four minutes of highlights I posted and you'll have a proper sample size.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Chris Pratt is fantastic but I'm very disappointed they didn't go with Glenn Howerton for the role.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/09/i … alaxy.html

Dennis Reynolds in space is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Moneyball.

Srsly. That was my favorite film of 2011 excluding the requisite geek stuff. He's a secondary character, but he does his part. Pretty much anyone who can rock Aaron Sorkin humor is okay in my book.

Eddie wrote:

As for "casting abs," that is hysterically funny, since he had to lose about 45 pounds to get the lead.

Right, that's been the big thing during the modern blockbuster era. They hire the guy who reflects the character and give them the physique to fit the role. I saw a retweet from Pratt saying something like "Yeah, but shooting's over so I'm back to a 1-pack now."

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-19 22:59:20)

-DorkmanScott

Vapes wrote:

Right, that's been the big thing during the modern blockbuster era. They hire the guy who reflects the character and give them the physique to fit the role. I saw a retweet from Pratt saying something like "Yeah, but shooting's over so I'm back to a 1-pack now."

It's no different than hiring Olympic swimmers to play Tarzan, and then changing the character from being highly educated to the "Me Tarzan" savage we know so the actor can handle the dialog. Remember, the "B" in Blockbuster stands for "B Movie".

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, it doesn't.
And I call analogy shenanigans. For example, I highly doubt that Guardians watered down Drax so pro-wrestler Dave Bautista could play the role. They said "Hey, we need a big tough guy" and so they found one, but I'm certain he still had to audition and they picked him from any number of candidates.

Prior to that, I think everyone assumed it'd be the Rock or Vin Diesel. Funny how that worked out.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-20 00:02:14)

-DorkmanScott

Dave Bautista said he wanted the role badly, went to extra acting classes, read through a ton of source material and lobbied hard for it.  When he got the role, he said he dropped to his knees and wept.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Whoa, that is amazing. Good for him.

-DorkmanScott

When I watch this trailer I get a real 5th Element vibe, absolutely ridiculous, but kind of awesome. I really like 5th Element, so I have high hopes for this.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Dave Bautista said he wanted the role badly, went to extra acting classes, read through a ton of source material and lobbied hard for it.  When he got the role, he said he dropped to his knees and wept.

Hey Eddie, can you post a link to that article, or was it from an offline source? It sounds like a very interesting read.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Good, he needed them.