Re: The Avengers

For what it's worth, when I was around 12 or 13, my first girlfriend was the one who got me into comics. Mostly, we were big fans of The X-Men. In fact, she gave me the Milestone Issue of X-Men #1, with Cyclops and Wolverine on the cover. I still have it. Back then, I was all about Marvel and The X-Men. Today, I prefer Dark Horse and Buffy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can never really get in to comics, and have even tried with the "New Guardians" series of Green Lantern. Interesting, but I still leave as confused as I'll get out.
Also, Superman isn't always the best way to get in to comics: http://www.cracked.com/article_20069_5- … -dick.html

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sigh. 

The Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Sexists in Marvel's amazingly awful new shirts

@Squiggly-thanks. That is a good idea.

@Trey
*bashes head against wall*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not to rehash this again, but I found this article interesting.

Nearly a Third of Marvel's Female Characters are Underweight

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

This is not how you run when a killing machine is chasing you.

She was injured, what are you talking about???

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You guys were aurguing about that poster where Black Widow shows here ass off,
um, isn't Black Widow's "power" all about her sexual aTtraction to men/women, so that
would make it ok??

Oh. BTW, the aircraft carriers numbers go up to 80, but only 12 in actual service total,
the numbers represent all the carriers ever made from the first one, which all but 12
have either been decommissioned, destroyed, or with numbers 78, 70, and 80, those
3 haven't been built yet.

The agent in the beginning, if you go in slow motion, ar just watch closely, doesn't
have a "mountain" fall on her, she actually swerves to the side and the big rock
miss the truck, and the smaller ones hit the seat of the truck as she jumps out of the
way.  I did think at first at the theater watching it the first time that she "bought the
farm"(lol, that means to die, like in the Starship Troopers book, LMAO). but later
watching it at home I could tell that she was actually shown to get out of the way.

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-02-25 07:25:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not for nuthin,' but we had a wonderful, big-ass conversation about the sexuality/objection/gender thing previously in this thread. Worth a read.

If you have responses to that, definitely post them here; it's a conversation well-worth exhausting.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mkeithddc wrote:

The agent in the beginning, if you go in slow motion, or just watch closely, doesn't
have a "mountain" fall on her, she actually swerves to the side and the big rock
misses the truck, and the smaller ones hit the seat of the truck as she jumps out of the
way.

It's been a while since I listened to this, but I think Trey was the one making that complaint and referring to the scene where Agent Hill's leg is momentarily pinned down under some rocks. I'm not sure how that equates to "death by falling mountain" but whatever. Trey also thinks the 12 minutes of pre-title scenes, in a movie that's nearly 2 and a half hours long is too much.

My advice? Just turn down your devil's music, close the door so as not to heat the entire neighborhood and make sure you get off his lawn. smile *

*Smiley emoticon to indicate to Trey I'm only teasing him, mostly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Plus, you have to show how the human element is unable to deal with a super powered villain in order to help establish that the Avengers are actually pretty b.a.

That prologue actually feels like a straight up comic book story that'd be released prior to some title-spanning crossover. I can't not picture it in comic book art any time I watch it.

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

It's been a while since I listened to this, but I think Trey was the one making that complaint and referring to the scene where Agent Hill's leg is momentarily pinned down under some rocks. I'm not sure how that equates to "death by falling mountain" but whatever.

Well I just watched it, and Trey def. makes a point several times to say that she
should have been killed, and his own words were "a mountain fell on you, you should be dead"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And I stand by that statement.

My point was - and is - that character should have died in that opening scene, because she serves no  purpose for the rest of the movie other than occasional set decoration and exposition absorbent.

As I recall, somebody in the commentary clued me in that the character is somebody "from the comics" or that the actress herself is on a TV show (or was it both?).  Either way, that solves the mystery of why she survives an event that invariably kills supporting characters in most movies.   She's fan service, and we're supposed to think "Yay, there she is!  Go, you from TV and/or comic!"

But since I didn't have that info,  I thought "why are we spending so much time with this day-player who's clearly going to be dead in three minutes?"  And when the cause of her death arrived right on cue... she didn't even die!  Instead they weaseled an excuse for her to survive it.

The marketing department may have needed that character but the story the movie was telling didn't.  And so I say again - a mountain fell on her.  She should have died.

Yeah, she's from the comics and the actress is on How I Met Your Mother. Frankly, I'm glad she survived, if only because she's one of two women in the entire film.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fair point.   If that was part of the reasoning, then I applaud the attempt to counteract the sausage-y nature of the source material.

Better still, they could have done something truly daring like maybe cast Halle Berry as Nick Fury, or make Hawkeye female.  Which I would have also applauded, if only to see the fanboy apocalypse that would have resulted.  smile

Trey, I suggest you watch the deleted and extended scenes for The Avengers. In Whedon's first cut of the film, Agent Hill was actually the "in" for the audience, the character whose perspective we experience much of the story through (if I recall correctly, there's an early draft where it's Captain America but Joss has said he scrapped that because it was too difficult and "boring" to follow such a boy scout the whole time). Naturally, as the running time got trimmed and the story re-worked, Agent Hill's role got significantly reshaped and slimmed down but she still played a part in enough scenes where they couldn't just simply cut the character out of the film, entirely.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, apparently there were tons of different potential cuts, and different characters started the film each time. One of them started with a flash-forward to Agent Hill talking to the scary secret government television people about what happened during the battle, and then it flashed back. There's also a long montage of Captain America's life that was supposed to come at the beginning (that gave that random waitress character a better intro) but Whedon felt that there was starting to be too much of him in the film.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

The marketing department may have needed that character but the story the movie was telling didn't.  And so I say again - a mountain fell on her.  She should have died.

agreed.  I remember thinking when watching this the first time, "wasnt Smoulders in this movie?"
becuase she was barely in the movie.

She sure did look good in the outfit though, lol...

Thumbs up Thumbs down