Re: So...how bout dem Oscars?

Btw:

http://friendsinyourhead.com/oscars/

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

"If Her Wins the Oscar for Best Picture, It Could Change Science Fiction Forever". I don't think it has the ghost of a chance of doing so, and the author of the article doesn't seem to realize just how important Gravity is, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If 'HER' wins the oscar, by definition it isn't science fiction.

(old author's joke: What's the difference between science fiction and speculative fiction? If you're paid over a certain amount per word, it's no longer science fiction.)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just saw Captain Phillips and I do not understand the awards hype for Barkhad Abdi at all. Of the Somali pirates, I thought Faysal Ahmed as Najee gave a far more intense and compelling performance.

I agree with you, Ewing and I'm annoyed that Hanks didn't get a nomination for that last half hour alone. It was a great performance.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My cynical picks:

Picture
Captain Phillips
- feel good
- love Hanks
- rich old white men (ROWM) identify with Hanks' character

Actor
Leo DiCaprio
- always good
- needs more awards
- ROWM don't like slavery guilt from Ejiofor in 12 Years
- ROWM identify with DiCaprio's character

Actress
Judi Dench
- always good
- needs more awards
- Bullock still isn't good enough to live down Miss Congeniality and Speed movies

S Actor
Barkhad Abdi
- ROWM like to feel good about voting for minorities in some way; see Slumdog Millionaire
- ROWM can't deal with slavery guilt of Fassbender in 12 Years

S Actress
Jennifer Lawrence
- seems good
- she's hot
- ROWM's daughters love her

Animated
Frozen
- seems popular
- ROWM's daughters and granddaughters love it

Cinematography
Inside Llewyn Davis
- Gravity was cobbled together by effects and editing
- Coens deserve more awards

Production Design
Gravity
- ROWM heard those spaceships looked just like real spaceships

Costume
Great Gatsby
- looked great
- ROWM remember dressing that way

Director
Marty Scorsese
- deserves more awards
- AMPAS still trying to make the last 30 yrs up to him
- ROWM identify with DiCaprio's character

Doc
20 Feet From Stardom
- feel good
- ROWM can't take guilt of not knowing/doing anything about acts depicted in Act of Killing

Last edited by Zarban (2014-03-02 18:36:20)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Classic Zarban.

*flute melody, iris out*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Turns out the director of The Voorman Problem (up for Best Short Film) is a graduate from my university. Not seen it, but I may as well root for the guy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with most of Zarban's picks, except for Captain Phillips for Best Picture. The ending isn't exactly feel-good, and if the Academy really loved Hanks they'd have nominated him for Best Actor (or even Best Supporting Actor for Saving Mr. Banks.)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh. Very good points. I might have to rethink that.

I still think it's either 12 Years, Gravity, or American Hustle. They all have strong points for and against. 12 Years seems like the obvious pick because of its serious "important"-seeming take on a historical tragedy, but like Zarban said, Rich Old White Men. Gravity's effects are revolutionary, but they might be so good that those older voters won't even think about the craft involved in making the film, and the story isn't great or anything. American Hustle, meanwhile, is kinda fun and it doesn't make you think, and people really seem to like it. Also, the Academy seems to like the 70s right now, as evidenced by Argo's win. They're all strong contenders.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not even crazy about DiCaprio but I kinda hope he finally gets one
http://i.imgur.com/EZlFQPT.gif
http://i.imgur.com/illZCKI.gif
I mean c'mon, can we make a Participation Oscar to give him at least? Maybe one for Perfect Attendance?

X-Files.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So much for cynicism. *buries self in slanket*

I went 19/24. Better than usual.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

There didn't seem to be any major surprises at all this year. The betting favorites won in the major categories. I don't recall a single upset. Even 20 FEET FROM STARDOM, which had been an underdog to ACT OF KILLING, saw its odds soar in the last week or so, becoming the favorite and winning.

Jonze winning for his screenplay was the biggest "they got it right" moment for me. Also Cuaron.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

15/24 for me. I was hoping for a Chiwetel to win Best Actor as I had a bet on where I could have won £210. Damn you McConaughey!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

American Hustle going 0-10 made me very, very happy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, American Hustle going home with nothing actually restored my faith in the Academy to some degree.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ahem. Just gonna leave this here . . .

http://www.friendsinyourhead.com/forum/img/harle.gif

"Cuarón is the reason. Cuarón is the why."

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

I LOVE MEME

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I realized about a quarter of the way through the night that many of my tweets about the Oscars were accidentally all being sent to Trey's page due to my replying to one of his earlier posts. Whoops.  roll

I was rather floored by The Act of Killing not winning Best Doc, but otherwise my predictions held up fairly well. And what with Gravity sweeping the evening, Her getting Best Original Screenplay, and 12 Years taking the crown, I'd say it was a pretty successful year for the Oscars.

Also, incoming onslaught of Facebook posts lamenting Leo's lack of trophy. tongue

Last edited by Abbie (2014-03-03 21:02:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/225bd85f4edfbe1b441a29ee90f98495/tumblr_n1uw0b8rpV1tq0iuuo1_400.gif

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

I predicted 6 Fast 6 Furious to win in every category. Zarban only out-predicted me by 3.

EDIT: 3.

Last edited by oTom (2014-03-04 08:58:20)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down