Topic: Home recording setup?

Good evening all,

I have a fairly broad question that I thought I'd pose here, basically I'm looking for resources which will help me understand what I need to grab to begin setting up a small home recording studio for a singer-songwriter.

This is for a family member, when I sing people are a bit ...

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/user_photos/1278709/4a2ef5e769c21fb1f41aa9883c77d634_width_640x.png

I'm guessing the basics would be a couple of condenser (?) mics for her and her guitar, a mixer, and some software? I'd prefer to not spend a fortune, but get things which she can use and build up over time.

I've found a lifehacker article with recommendations about gear, but unless I understand why they're making those selections, it's not really different from picking random brands and models.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Home recording setup?

I have no advice for you, but it sounds like a very nice thing that you're doing and I wish you luck and many, many helpful responses.  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My go-to for expert advice is: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/

Have you also thought about acoustics and how to keep outside noises out?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't tell you THAT much, but what I use, is a dynamic mic(Behringer XM8500), that I got for cheap. It picks up the audio nicely, but you'll have to sing quite close, or loudly.
It's an XLR mount, so naturally, I have an external audio deck to deal with it. What I decided upon, after a lot of reading up on budget class setups, was a Roland UA-55 Quad Capture. It has 2x XLR/Jack combos, and two ports on the back I forget the names of(MIDI, I think).
Now, the Roland comes bundled with a copy of XONAR, to work with it, but thus far, Audition, Audacity, Skype, Garageband and Logic have had no issues detecting and recording from it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Paging Alex to the thread. Paging Alex.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is all really sensible beginner stuff. Plus a vocal mic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What are her goals? Is she trying to record demos, simply get ideas down, or release a self-produced EP or album?

If she has an Apple computer, I suggest she use Logic Pro for her DAW (Digital Audio Workstation--the software that we record in). It's $200 and fantastic, but also OSX-only.

If she's on Windows, I suggest she use either Cubase (my DAW of choice, even though I'm on OSX) or Sonar. For both platforms, other notable mentions are Studio One, Reaper, and Digital Performer. Pro Tools is the industry standard and therefore obviously a great choice, but it's a bit more expensive and the others will most likely provide everything she needs.

If she's on Linux (which I highly doubt, but regardless it's worth mentioning), I suggest she abandon it and use either Windows or OSX.

OSX is an objectively better OS for audio and music production. I can get in to the reason why, if you'd like. But Windows is fantastic as well and in certain situations a better choice.

Beyond that, she just needs a mic and an audio interface. If she's on OSX, absolutely go with an Apogee Duet. I use one and it's by far the best bang for your buck. If she's on Windows, the Focusrite Scarlett series is a good way to go. The RME Babyface is pretty killing too but a bit more expensive.

For the mic, a large diaphragm condensor is best for vocals and great for guitar as well. The AKG Perception 220 is an awesome all-around mic and pretty cheap. A small diaphragm condensor to use on her guitar (in tandem with the large diaphragm) isn't a bad idea either. Also, there are a few great dynamic mics out there. The Shure SM57 is great for….well, anything. The SM58 is great for vocals, though it's generally used more in a live context. The Shure SM7 is a bit more expensive but is my personal favorite as far as great vocal mics under $1000 go. Michael Jackson refused to use anythin else, if that tells you anything.

Obviously, you need mic stands, the correct cables (probably XLR), some good monitor headphones (I recommend the Audio Technica ATH M50's), possibly some good monitor speakers (that's a big subject and depends on how serious she wants to get). A pop filter for her vocals isn't a bad idea, either.

Lastly, if she wants to experiment with the MIDI world (for synths or any other software instrument), she'll need a MIDI keyboard controller. M-Audio makes some great ones for cheap.

Add music and you're done.

Last edited by Alex (2014-03-08 21:55:46)

clap

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alex, thank you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No problem dude! Good luck.

Yeah, don't mention it.

//Fucking music nerds stealing my thunder.

//obviously kidding, Alex is cool.

Thumbs up Thumbs down