Re: Suggest a Commentary 2.0: The Suggestioning

Dorkman wrote:

It's like FORREST GUMP, it there were no flashbacks, and he wasn't retarded but his story was.

That's a hell of an analogy. XD

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At this point I'd much rather hear a commentary from someone defending TMFE than spend 90 minutes growling at it. Half of you guys have podcasts too, have at it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not gonna do that. First off, I doubt those who hated the film would bother to hear me out. And second, even if they did, I don't see them changing their tune by the end.

All I can say is, I simply disagree. For me, personally, I found the premise interesting. I found the characters to have personalities. I felt the performances were mostly natural and well done (I've been a fan of Tony Todd and William Katt for years, for example, so perhaps I'm biased). I liked the dialogue. I was engaged, never bored and I'm even okay with the ending. Yes, I would have preferred the climax not to have been what it was because I feel it hijacks the movie and makes it about something else but it didn't ruin the movie for me or anything. I'm fine with the look of picture as well. Sure, it looks cheap and older than it actually is but so does basically all of British Television (even today, in some cases) and I still love some of those programs.

I don't know. I guess it merely comes down to basic, personal preference. Either the movie worked for you or it didn't. And that's totally fine. It worked for me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a terrible Forrest Gump analogy, but maybe you were just trying to make a funny.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The film is not at all about his friends.

You stopped reading too early here. It's about his friends engaging in the discussion with him. Essentially, the screenwriter is exploring the notion of immortality in the real world through different intellectual perspectives, which is why some of the characters aren't written too well or are a bit underdeveloped - they're there to be talking heads for their field.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

but so does basically all of British Television (even today, in some cases) and I still love some of those programs.

Oi!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

redxavier wrote:

That's a terrible Forrest Gump analogy, but maybe you were just trying to make a funny.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The film is not at all about his friends.

You stopped reading too early here. It's about his friends engaging in the discussion with him. Essentially, the screenwriter is exploring the notion of immortality in the real world through different intellectual perspectives, which is why some of the characters aren't written too well or are a bit underdeveloped - they're there to be talking heads for their field.

But they barely bring any of that to the discussion anyway. The biologist makes a few remarks about biology and the Christian woman gets all upset at the religious stuff. They are both incredibly one-dimensional and completely undefined.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Usually a safe assumption. I'll be an asshole even about things I like if I think there's a good joke in it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
johnpavlich wrote:

but so does basically all of British Television (even today, in some cases) and I still love some of those programs.

Oi!

It's not necessarily a criticism but merely an observation.

To get back to the whole point of this thread, I'd be interested in a commentary for more CG animated titles, as you guys have only done a small few at this point. Despicable Me, How To Train Your Dragon, The Croods, ParaNorman. I know that last one is stop-motion but I'm counting it. smile

Or hey, how about Monsters University?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

Or hey, how about Monsters University?

Basically anything Pixar save Cars 2 would be great, especially the Toy Story films for their merits and Brave for discussing a fix.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Basically anything Pixar save Cars 2 would be great, especially the Toy Story films....

Ah, the Toy Story films....

Actually, could I put in a request if you do those:  could you have an early-ish start?  Pretty please?  I'd love to hang out live but being 8 hours ahead is rough when you guys start at 4PM.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about  doing  a commentary on a Martin Scorsese film ?

Last edited by Jimbo (2014-03-26 17:57:58)

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd suggest either After Hours, as it's a non-period piece that doesn't get discussed enough (also my favorite Scorsese film) or Shutter Island, because it would be really interesting to dissect what exactly went wrong.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a lot of love for The Departed.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

How about we just erase your file, huh? How 'bout that? How about we erase your file and then bang, you're just another soldier for Costello open to arrest for I don't know how many felonies. Huh?

/also loves the Depahted

have the younger members of the crew seen many Scorsese movies?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Eddie wrote:

How about we just erase your file, huh? How 'bout that? How about we erase your file and then bang, you're just another soldier for Costello open to arrest for I don't know how many felonies. Huh?

/also loves the Depahted

I'm the guy who does his job.  You must be the other guy.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shut your mouth, you lace-curtain Irish &*%*(*

I continue to suggest Stardust and Dazed and Confused.

However, I wouldn't mind hearing a commentary for tha Depahtahed. I was in college when it came out, and wanted to see it. I still haven't, because the guy who would become my college roommate for two years (and is currently my best friend) commented "Oh, that movie where everybody dies at the end?" when I mentioned wanting to see it. And there it went, spoiled for me. Ah well, I'll get around to it someday, but my motivation to see it died that day.

Dazed and Confused is in my top 20 of all time.  I'd be more than happy to do that.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Dazed and Confused is in my top 20 of all time.  I'd be more than happy to do that.

You'd all be a lot cooler if you did.

(I'm gonna go in my back yard now and play the bongos with my shirt off. JKL guys, just keep livin')

Eddie wrote:

My father and I share this as a favourite. He says it is almost exactly his high school experience (minus the drugs) and I really dig young Anthony Rapp.
I'd love to be in the chat for a Dazed and Confused commentary.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Ben wrote:

Departed

SPOILER Show
However, I wouldn't mind hearing a commentary for tha Depahtahed. I was in college when it came out, and wanted to see it. I still haven't, because the guy who would become my college roommate for two years (and is currently my best friend) commented "Oh, that movie where everybody dies at the end?" when I mentioned wanting to see it. And there it went, spoiled for me. Ah well, I'll get around to it someday, but my motivation to see it died that day.

Yeah, you just did the same thing to me. not impressed.  roll

Last edited by Faldor (2014-03-29 11:13:21)

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog