Re: April Fools // "Tokes and Stokes"

clap

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've watched this like 10 times now, and it never fails to amuse me. That music is awesome.

I bought two shirts.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://thefilmexperience.net/storage/gif/CabinDance.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1358298752003

This made my day... Thank you.

Last edited by Snail (2014-04-01 16:13:25)

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Congratulations! Awesome work, guys.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgunt4mBcG1qfjej5o1_400.gif

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm the only one old enough to remember this show from its original run, so I'll list some favorite moments:

• Tokes resigning in disgust and Stokes immediately arresting him for possession.

• The time they nailed that alderman for illegally keeping giraffes, and Tokes rode around on a giraffe.

• When Stokes was dating Nurse Wendy and she gave him crabs, but they were tiny puppet crabs she got from Tokes.

• Every single time Tokes accidentally shot himself. ROFL.

• That sad episode when Captain McPkank died.

You guys must have some some eps on TV Land. What are some of your faves?

The one where they meet Future Trey and solve the mystery of his long-lost girlfriend's death was amazing. Although he never revealed what happened to Tokes after the "incident" in the future.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

My favorite episode was when they sent Tokes undercover at a Juvenile Correctional Facility to bust a drug ring.  Tokes gets too deep into the job and starts to morally question everything he's done.  He starts drinking heavily to cope and there's a powerful scene where Tokes silently cries while "Can't Find My Way Home," plays.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My bad, that was actually my favorite episode of 21 Jump Street and instead of Tokes it was Johnny Depp.

My favorite episode of Tokes and Stokes was when Tokes shot that one guy and chief was all, "Badge and gun, Tokes!" and Tokes slams his gun down but removes the bullets first and is all "You can have the gun...the bullets are MINE!"

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mine was the episode where Tokes got caught up undercover at the dwarf colony and had to organize the talent show while planning his escape.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

My bad, that was actually my favorite episode of 21 Jump Street and instead of Tokes it was Johnny Depp.

My favorite episode of Tokes and Stokes was when Tokes shot that one guy and chief was all, "Badge and gun, Tokes!" and Tokes slams his gun down but removes the bullets first and is all "You can have the gun...the bullets are MINE!"

SHIT, that was an episode of Hunter.  Give me a minute on this guys....

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love all of this. Took me out of my bad day and gave me a reason to smile.  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh here we go, my favorite episode of Tokes and Stokes was when in the cold open, Tokes and Stokes pull over a speeding sedan and find that the driver had actually stolen plans for a top secret missile that could wipe out an entire city. 

Later, a young officer named Rick Nichols reports to Lt. John LeGarre for assignment with a martial arts group named "Force Seven". Shortly, the Force Seven group gets an assignment to recover a stolen missile.  We learn that Rick is actually a black belt in Tae Kwon Do AND Karate.  Lt. LeGarre (played by former Oakland Raider Fred Dryer) gives Rick his new uniform and tells him that Force Seven doesn't use guns.  He is introduced to the rest of the team: Officers Cindy Davis and "Sly" Angeletti (and Sly's puppet "YinYang").  Rick bristles at the thought of having to work with a team, but as he explained earlier, he has nowhere else to go. 

Before we know it, the Force Seven team is sneaking into a warehouse looking for clues.  Angelleti asks what's so special about Rick.  LeGarre suspects that he posses "chi," and is capable of great things.  When Rick makes some noise, they're discovered and have to escape. That night, they try again (their Force Seven Uniforms are reversible Ninja outfits, you see) and are discovered again. They fight the employees and win. After the victory, an old friend of LeGarre, named Nakura (JOnathon Rhys-Davies), appears and captures them. After the Force Seven members escape, Nakura sets his plan into action and arms his stolen missile.

Nakura sends a taped message to the mayor and threatens to use the missile unless his demands are met. By examining the stars in the background of the videotape, Force Seven figures out where Nakura is hiding his missile.

The next morning, the Force Seven team sneaks into Nakura's compound using some pretty nifty martial arts skills. With 15 seconds to spare, they get Nakura to tell them the abort code of 666.
After the commercial, Nakura realizes that the warhead's armed to go off in one minute. Rick uses his magic Chi powers to disarm the warhead just before it detonates.

Later, at Central, the Chief meets Tokes and Stokes in the hallway and congratulates them for discovering the confidential papers which led the police to "the crazy" with the missile.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Oh here we go, my favorite episode of Tokes and Stokes was when in the cold open, Tokes and Stokes pull over a speeding sedan and find that the driver had actually stolen plans for a top secret missile that could wipe out an entire city. 

Later, a young officer named Rick Nichols reports to Lt. John LeGarre for assignment with a martial arts group named "Force Seven". Shortly, the Force Seven group gets an assignment to recover a stolen missile.  We learn that Rick is actually a black belt in Tae Kwon Do AND Karate.  Lt. LeGarre (played by former Oakland Raider Fred Dryer) gives Rick his new uniform and tells him that Force Seven doesn't use guns.  He is introduced to the rest of the team: Officers Cindy Davis and "Sly" Angeletti (and Sly's puppet "YinYang").  Rick bristles at the thought of having to work with a team, but as he explained earlier, he has nowhere else to go. 

Before we know it, the Force Seven team is sneaking into a warehouse looking for clues.  Angelleti asks what's so special about Rick.  LeGarre suspects that he posses "chi," and is capable of great things.  When Rick makes some noise, they're discovered and have to escape. That night, they try again (their Force Seven Uniforms are reversible Ninja outfits, you see) and are discovered again. They fight the employees and win. After the victory, an old friend of LeGarre, named Nakura (JOnathon Rhys-Davies), appears and captures them. After the Force Seven members escape, Nakura sets his plan into action and arms his stolen missile.

Nakura sends a taped message to the mayor and threatens to use the missile unless his demands are met. By examining the stars in the background of the videotape, Force Seven figures out where Nakura is hiding his missile.

The next morning, the Force Seven team sneaks into Nakura's compound using some pretty nifty martial arts skills. With 15 seconds to spare, they get Nakura to tell them the abort code of 666.
After the commercial, Nakura realizes that the warhead's armed to go off in one minute. Rick uses his magic Chi powers to disarm the warhead just before it detonates.

Later, at Central, the Chief meets Tokes and Stokes in the hallway and congratulates them for discovering the confidential papers which led the police to "the crazy" with the missile.

God...DAMMIT.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In all seriousness, I've said so privately, but this is outstanding work.  It's things like this that make me proud to be part of this community.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The episode where Stokes went for a colonoscopy and it turned out Tokes was acting undercover as the doctor was a laugh a minute.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

The puppet was notoriously difficult to work with on set (not the least reason being the Tokes performers were, shall we say, "method" actors), and this scene was particularly infamous for taking nearly two weeks to shoot. According to the tell-all I AM STOKES, this incident was the last straw that led Herb Voland (Captain McPkank) to demand his character be written out of the show.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

("McPkank" might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can I just say that I love that the surname of McPkAnk has survived this long?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

Does anyone remember what comm this started in? I'm blanking.

Pulp Fiction you non-fan  tongue

In his defense, none of us could remember where it came from either.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

My only regret is that Zarban's amazing song didn't fit the buddy cop theme.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Holden wrote:

My only regret is that Zarban's amazing song didn't fit the buddy cop theme.

Well, that was from Tokes & Stokes: The Early Years, the '80s prequel show about them before they joined the police force. Trey was played by a very young Ken Wahl. Tokes was puppeteered by none other than Morgan Freeman.

/never letting go of McPkank; that name still cracks me up, Eddie

Zarban wrote:

I'm the only one old enough to remember this show from its original run, so I'll list some favorite moments:

• Tokes resigning in disgust and Stokes immediately arresting him for possession.

• The time they nailed that alderman for illegally keeping giraffes, and Tokes rode around on a giraffe.

• When Stokes was dating Nurse Wendy and she gave him crabs, but they were tiny puppet crabs she got from Tokes.

There are times when I'm convinced you wrote for SNL.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I always loved the episode where Stokes and Tokes visit New York and Stokes falls in love with Joan Collins until Tokes runs her over...

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

iJim wrote:
Zarban wrote:

There are times when I'm convinced you wrote for SNL.

He did. Most of the skits didn't air until the end of the episodes, though.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down