Re: "Extended Edition" Community Podcast

You cheeky Frenchman, you. I talk perfick Engerlitch.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-05-02 18:52:31)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If your free Monday evening (European time) we'll be recording a Star Wars double bill on the reclassification of the Expanded Universe and of last weeks casting announcement.

we've got two free spots if any one wants it.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I can make it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

If your free Monday evening (European time) we'll be recording a Star Wars double bill on the reclassification of the Expanded Universe and of last weeks casting announcement.

we've got two free spots if any one wants it.

I can't pass up a chance to talk Star Wars. I'm in if there's still a slot.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How Familiar are you both with the comic and novel side of things?

My book knowledge is probably more than most but mostly relates to the first decade or so after ROTJ - Zahn's trilogy and duology sequel, Anderson's Jedi Academy and Dark Saber, and a couple of the X-wing novels. So no YuVong stuff. I do know the main beats I suppose, having wasted a few idle hours on Wookiepedia.

Comics I'm more in tune with, and have read practically everything except the Marvel run and the ancient history EU (that is, thousand years before prequels). I still collect the comics and am quite sad that Dark Horse's superb stewardship of the medium is coming to an end after so long.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome!

I'm rereading the Thrawn Trilogy as comics at the moment. Pls could I get a big long list of comic recommendations?

Faldor wrote:

How Familiar are you both with the comic and novel side of things?

I'm probably a 7 on a scale of 1-10. I know the novels better than the comics.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome this is going to be a good session!

Faldor wrote:

Awesome!
I'm rereading the Thrawn Trilogy as comics at the moment. Pls could I get a big long list of comic recommendations?

That's a great idea. I remember the comics adaptation being pretty good. I always found it hard to visualise what the Noghri looked like so that was a big help. I think Thrawn is one of the best characters to come out of the EU.

My personal picks are:

Prequel era
Jedi Council: Acts of War - the Jedi who cameo in the Phantom Menace engage with a hostile alien species.
Republic: Stark Hyperspace War - another 'war' arc featuring the Republic at war
Republic: The Devaronian Version - amusing comedic story about a bounty hunter

Republic: Into the Unknown - order 66, a prequel of sorts to Dark Times
Dark Times - pretty much the entire run
Star Wars: Purge - usually standalone stories involving Vader on the hunt for Jedi post-ROTS

Tag and Bink are dead - comedic series about two hapless characters whose antics weave in and out of the films, not entirely unlike Stacy/Pink Five. There's a prequel two-parter and an original trilogy two-parter, both are pretty funny.

Original trilogy era
Empire: Princess Warrior - an early story about Leia, inspired by the 1970s Radio Drama
Empire: Darklighter - backstory for Biggs between his leaving of Tatooine and reunion with Luke
Empire: To the Last Man - best summed up as 'Zulu for the Imperial army'
Empire: In the shadows of their fathers - Luke adventure on a planet which went through hell during the clone wars
Empire: Wrong side of the war - Luke and rebels on a sabotage mission

Actually, pretty much most of the Empire run is good. Lots of good one-shots.

Post-ROTJ
Dark Empire (I and II) - perhaps most interesting to see what they did in this really early EU
X-wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair - Wedge and friends try to get a planet to sign up to the New Republic
X-wing Rogue Squadron: In the Empire's Service - the rebels run into Baron Soontir Fel, ace imperial pilot
X-wing Rogue Squadron: Requiem for a Rogue - Wedge and friends run into some stranded Bothans on a weird planet
Star Wars Infinities (ANH, ESB and ROTJ) - alternate reality what if versions of the films, interesting to explore

My picks heavily favour the artwork of David Fabbri (reasonably cartoonish style) and Douglas Wheatley ('detailed pencils' style). A fair amount of the art in Star Wars comics is pretty old/bad, so I tend to be drawn to those where I like the style. For instance, there are actually quite a few good well written stories in the Republic series, but the artwork I was never too big a fan of. Likewise, some of the X-wing series are just horrid to look at.

I've heard good things about the Knights of the Old Republic series and also Legacy. I've read none of the former, and what little I read for the latter, set a long time into the future, revealed it to have given almost every character a lightsabre (which really didn't really appeal to me that much).

The TL:DR version is the Dark Times and Empire runs. big_smile

Last edited by redxavier (2014-05-04 00:03:02)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I think Red just filled in the two slots by virtue of his knowledge alone wink

Good luck, gents! This sounds like an amazing session!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, I need to be around for this one. It'll be cool to see you guys dive into the things I read the most about in my teen years.  smile

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm out. I've really got nothing on you guys smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've written up this blog post that rather sum up my feelings on the matter

I'm definitely gonna be the least knowledgable on this episode, aha.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Given that you've actuallly read the Jedi Academy trilogy, I think you'll do ok smile

I'll whisper the answers to him through the chatbox.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

We'll be recording from 9pm British Summer time. I'll pm you the hang out Link through the forum

This will be great and I am looking forward to it. I have written, here and elsewhere, my feelings on the matter, but it is clearly divisive issue so I am hoping for a fun discussion. However, I think we should abide by Queensbury rules, just to be clear wink

Two questions that I will ask the panel, in case I miss the record time and can't post them in chat.

One, does this affect your enjoyment of older EU works? Why, or why not?

Two, is there anything that excites you about this news?

My basic reaction is to many of the fans reactions as this is negative news, and don't treat it in any way other than doom and gloom. I would like to hear a more reasoned response as to why this might cast Episode 7 in a negative light and if it would affect a person's decision to see the movie, when it comes out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I had quite a positive reaction to the news and to be honest, I was hoping it would happen when they announced they were making new movies. I suppose I'll get in to that during the episode though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm going to post what I had written on theonering.net in response to another poster's comments that the redaction of the EU from canon would be similar to if Christopher Tolkien suddenly declared the Similarion, and other posthumous works from his father non-canon in Middle Earth lore. So, there is some mention of that. I have spoiler-ed it because it is a bit long but it is most of my thought on the matter:

Show
I have been reading on this and posting in other forums today. While I understand the frustration even better now, I am still inclined to agree with Disney's decision in this regard. You don't have to like it, any more than you have to like TABA to Bo5A, but there is a reason, even when we don't agree.

First of all, I appreciate the example in a post regarding Christopher Tolkien and if he declared the Sil and other writings to not be canon and release more. It gives me more insight in to why people are up in arms. However, this being the internet and the tendency to use hyperbole for the sake of making a point, there has been a lot of hurt by the fans that I am still not understanding.

First of all, just like the Hobbit films do not extinguish or diminish the book, neither does Disney's reclassing of Star Wars "canon" diminish the EU material in existence. The Thrawn trilogy, Old Republic, and the like still are there, still are well written and provide enjoyment regardless of their status. Still good books, still able to be read.

Secondly, the EU was never "canon" in the way that the movies were. This is Lucas' stated, public opinion, that the movies are his story, and the EU is a sandbox for authors to play in. I even read an article, dating a bit now, with Timothy Zhan on how he never expected his books to be movies, or official or anything like that. They were just fun to write, and good stories to tell. Their status in the canon was not even in question, not in the way that they are now.

Third point, that Disney is not taking the lot and shoving it out the door and calling it quits. If you read the interviews and articles, Disney has assigned a group to review the material and determine what to keep and what to discard. It is not all gone, and some poorer ideas might be discarded completely.

Fourth point, Disney is looking at material and attempting to craft a more comprehensive, and cohesive canon, for future films. Given the tangents all over the universe, some cohesion will be nice. They also want to have some artistic freedom to create movies with new stories, rather than being confined by previously written stories. Given how well the Hobbit, LOTR and Abrams Star Trek (to name but a very few) were received by fans when changes were made to previously existing stories and continuities, Disney is making a good choice to be able to craft more from scratch.

Finally, this isn't personal. Disney isn't trying insult the fans or the authors by saying the EU isn't canon. Mostly because, this is not new news. As I said before, Lucas never treated EU as canon in the sense that the movies were and as has been stated before, Lucas changed The Clone Wars and fall of the Republic in the prequels, regardless of how it was written in other material. Even "Splinter of a Mind's Eye," the first novel written after Star Wars came out, was almost immediately discarded for when Empire Strikes Back came out.

I have a better understanding of why fans might be hurt, but it is odd to me that there seems to be an almost personal backlash that somehow Disney has cheapened the EU by making this decision. It really is only cheapened if the value of the story came from it's status in the Star Wars canon. I don't think that is it at all.

Thank you for reading!

My main struggle is the fan hurt that is flying around the Internet that somehow the EU is wasted material because it isn't "canon." Was that really something we (the fans) cared about when we read the books?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jaxxon!

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061025214956/starwars/images/thumb/e/e9/Jaxxon-gamer.jpg/250px-Jaxxon-gamer.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

How about doing a episode on The Raid Movies Sometime?

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By the way, as a total coincidence but works for the last recording, this thread had 501 posts before I added to it.

http://southerncaliforniagarrison.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-17-at-3.27.14-PM1.png

And now, I cannot resist this:

http://master-cdn.memepix.com/images/large/OO2Oc.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me7tk2vF3F1r9vi6po2_500.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

054 – Star Wars Expanded Universe – Part One