Topic: Writing, Fridge Logic, and Plot Contrivances [Spoilers: All is Lost]

Recently posting in the Gravity thread and watching 'War of the Worlds' a couple days ago, I have been thinking about bad writing and plot contrivances.

The guys have done a great job of creating some terminology for discussing a lot of this (such as 'magic bean'). But, knowing my own thoughts while viewing movies, I'm wondering if a couple new terms might be useful to me for describing problems I have with some/many movies. I'll try to lay out my thoughts using as few movies as possible. [Edit] Clearly not few words.

1. In 'All is Lost', Robert Redford's boat hits a floating shipping container. This isn't a magic bean. But, it kind of is. The odds are incredibly low for such an event. We give it a pass because it's actually a kind of initial event or catalyst for the plot. I've been in a lot of English classes (including full semesters each of Shakespear, the Bible as literature and Science Fiction) and neither I nor Google seem able to recall if this event has a name. Regardless, I feel the more unlikely the initial event, the less I can suspend my disbelief for future, unlikely events. In short, you get one magic bean; Do you also get one highly-improbable event?

2. In 'Mission to Mars', Tim Robbins needs to connect a lifeline to a capsule so the crew can reach the surface. He succeeds. He also doesn't secure himself. As a result, he drifts towards Mars to die. There is no 'Fridge Logic' here. Maybe it could happen as depicted on screen. My first thought, though, is: What astronaut doesn't tether himself? It is a constant in space, right? Drilled into their heads with a para-military regularity. He has a line to connect, he would connect himself to it. If he connects the line, he is automatically also connected. What astronaut would trust to a hand grip; through a space suit; after an impact; at speed? It boggles my mind. But, it is not Fridge Logic. Just a very unlikely and kind of nonsensical event. My biggest problem with it is that there are consequences: the death of a character. The small, unlikely event is tied to the death of the character and makes me feel the entire situation is contrived. But, it's an emergency and high stress. Is this a baby contrivance? How about the nearly identical layout of the scene in Gravity? George Clooney didn't have to get tangled in a parachute. There are odds involved in something like that. Maybe even training conducted to recognize or avoid it. Since it leads, inexorably, to the death of the character, the tangling is important. Is it a contrivance or reasonable or something else?

To me, it feels like things are more contrived when they are more obvious or have less set-up time. If someone dies as an immediate result of a long-odds event, I can get annoyed. But, when Doc Holiday dies of a health condition he's had for the entirety of Tombstone, I am ok. Someone is still trying to manipulate my emotions, but it's somehow different for me. The idea of time and set-up leads me to:

3. In 'All is Lost', Robert Redford is sailing the ocean. Alone. Anyone who knows anything about small vessel sailing knows there is a huge difference between sailing with a crew and sailing alone. Alone, there are things you just have to do or you will die. Robert Redford's character, from the outset is set to die. Moreover, he does not do the things he needs to do to survive. [Spoiler] It's why he ends up on a raft. The biggest and, to me, most obvious issue is the radio. If my cellphone stops working, I'll ask to borrow one or use a pay phone. Hundreds of miles from another human, Robert Redford can't do that in the movie. When he sees the boat is flooding, he needs to move the radio. He walks past it repeatedly and does nothing. Anyone sailing like was should have a small, waterproof lockbox with a back-up radio. He does not have any backup. He also doesn't have: a few lengths of lumber for emergency hull repair, fabric for sail repair, or even a handle for his bilge pump. None of these shortfalls are fridge logic. There's really no dialogue so we don't get to know the character's past. What we glean about the man is mostly conjecture. But, crash + no backup radio + no patching lumber + no pump handle = I am annoyed and kind of want the guy to die. He has failed at living repeatedly in what we should all understand is a dangerous situation. Am I being an ass? A government or union boat would ship with all of those things and at least one extra crew, right? Is there a name for "the unlikely stacks to such a height as to be preposterous"? Or, "the supposed protagonist earned death but survived"?

I think everyone understand the need to suspend disbelief and everyone can feel the most clumsy attempts to manipulate their emotions or back-fill a plot hole. The questions I'm asking, I know, are more nit-picky to the majority of the viewing public. But, they make the difference between enjoying a movie and not, for me.

I sincerely apologize if I've wasted your time,
John

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-05-20 16:21:38)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Re: Writing, Fridge Logic, and Plot Contrivances [Spoilers: All is Lost]

You know when you get so good at something that you just assume nothing will ever go wrong with it? All Is Lost relies on this pretty heavily.

And yeah, the inciting incident can be as unbelievable as you want as long as the story is decent, because no matter how unlikely the event, it makes no difference. This is the story of what would happen if that thing happened.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

You know when you get so good at something that you just assume nothing will ever go wrong with it? All Is Lost relies on this pretty heavily.

There was a guy in his 20's who helped with our Boy Scout troop for a couple years. He once told us he rode a motorcycle up until the day he found himself confidently riding down the Thruway with his hands not on the handlebars. He realized being that good, and/or confident, was going to get him killed, so he stopped riding.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, as far as plot points in All Is Lost, I'll agree that not having a backup radio (or better yet, a Sat phone or at least an EPIRB) is a stretch.   But as far as saving the original radio, the hole in the boat is right over the electronics station - all the radio and nav gear is flooded from minute one, so the radio not being a priority made sense to me.  Once it's flooded, might as well leave it flooded until he can find the time to try to dry it.

As for pieces of wood, it's a fiberglass boat.  So he had, and used, a fiberglass repair kit.  And a sextant as a nav backup.   And although it's not common for a mariner to ram into a lost cargo container, it does happen.

So for me, the series of events showed that "Our Man" is mostly prepared, and mostly makes the right decisions.  He might be a tad overconfident or perhaps just thinking "I can get to the next port before I buy the backup sail", but we all take those kinds of low-probability risks all the time.   And even the most massively prepared sailors still get into trouble sometimes. 

So it's a movie about a guy who usually gets by just fine - but then has a run of especially bad luck, and what he does to push back.

I agree completely that he could have been overconfident due to skill. My guess is he was short on cash. All of the comments regarding the movie are valid and worth discussing. I used a poor example in 'All is Lost', as I am well aware that most people seem to have missed/ignored/disagreed with the problems I saw.

The main point of #3, though, is to discover if there is already film terminology to refer to this sort of thing shorthand. I just don't know any quick way to say: "It would be better if he was borrowing the boat and assumed it was fully stocked and then got to sea and realized it wasn't but decided it was only 2 days to the next port so why turn around and that was an understandable if cocky decision but it lead to a lot of problems." So, instead I have to feel nitpicky and wish the film gave me some room to suspend my disbelief. The problem isn't really a plot hole or contrivance. But, I don't know what to call those things that strain my suspension of disbelief and, if too many occur, leave me feeling like it is contrived. What do you call the little problem or the string of little problems?

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-05-20 20:25:23)

I post because I care.

Plot?  smile

Virtually any movie can seem contrived if you know too much (or too little!) about some specific aspect of the story.  "That would never happen in real life" is a pretty common response, and we all have our personal nitpicks in movies - ones that nobody else even notices.

All Is Lost loses a lot of its power if you know ANYTHING about the main character, imo. The reason it works as well as it does is that there isn't any extraneous information about him whatsoever. He's just a human being trying to survive.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the word you're already using is the right one: "contrivance." Once you get that character up a tree, some of the rocks you throw are going to be contrivances, in the sense of piling-on otherwise improbable misfortunes.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some people are very sensitive to contrivance in story.  I have heard repeatedly from writers that one of the hardest things is getting readers/audiences to accept that the hero could do something dumb or make a mistake. 

It's one of those things where what breaks a movie for you is going to be different than what breaks a movie for me is different for what breaks a movie for Viewer X (masked filmgoing crimefighter).  I think it is a truly subjective thing.  If you are taken out of the movie, you are out. I cannot argue that you are wrong just because bad science/ lack of verisimilitude/ one coincidence too many/ whatever didn't bother me. 

JP (John?) I'm in particular thinking about how Gravity didn't work for you while it worked fine for me.  In a case like this, all I can do is say "trust me, the movie might not be for you, but it was a damn fine film."  And you have no reason to give me that trust because we met on an internet forum a few days ago.

Last edited by Isaac (2014-05-20 23:34:58)

smile Yes, John

So, I guess the consensus so far (addressing the numbered parts above):

1. Every movie gets a pass for an unlikely introduction. After all, that is why the story is being told.

But

2. Unless we are attempting to tell a 100% authentic true story, all stories are made up, and thus, contrived. The only term we have is to refer to it in differing degrees: "feels contrived", "is a bit contrived", etc.

3. I could say a film has "too many small contrivances".  An unlikely start followed by a series of unlikely events can break suspension of disbelief, though YMMV regarding what is a contrivance.

I'd really love to have catchier terms for this stuff, though. We have Spielberging and Baying. Would it make sense to say it was too much "De Palma"? Is there a writer or director I'm not thinking of who is known for contrivances or plot holes in what could be straight-forward or hard science movies?

Also, thank you for everyone's input. There have been plenty of good points about specific movies here. I'm just trying to stay on topic about the one thing that I can't well describe and puts me off plenty of movies.

As a side note: I know not everyone feels the same as I do. But, just as motivations are supremely important in a drama, I feel fact is important in a survival movie. The danger in the plot isn't motivated by an antagonist. So, the survival situation becomes a kind of math: water, warmth, food, etc. The sloppier writer creates new obstacles one-by-one as the movie progresses while the better writer builds it all into the initial event. I'd love to give good and bad examples of this but my memory is crap.

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-05-22 00:59:52)

I post because I care.

In college, I played bass for Masked Filmgoing Crimefighter.    tongue

I post because I care.