Topic: X-men colon Days of Future Past

It was good! What did you lot think?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: X-men colon Days of Future Past

I liked it. Didn't blow my hair back, and there was some serious fridge logic I had a hard time getting over. But overall I thought it was pretty good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loved every second, really.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked it too, fridge logic didn't bother me, I must have not been paying attention. Although Kitty had a new power that she didn't have in previous films, that annoyed me.

Hasn't Faldor just broken the rule of the reviews section with just a 'Was good, now go' post? tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved it. Though I've come to realize I have a truly awful memory in general, and specifically when it comes to a million characters I've only ever seen in a handful of movies. So the fact that I don't really remember... kind of anything about who anybody is or what just happened in the last movie might have helped.

But under those circumstances, I found it incredibly cool and engaging and much better at maintaining a tone than most movies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hated it. I hated it so much. I wanted to set myself on fire when it was over. I did write a review, if you're curious. But it's not likely to change any of your minds. I think these are mainly me-problems. I'm jealous of all of you for enjoying it as much as you did. Wish I had the same experience.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-05-26 20:34:19)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I hated it. I hated it so much. I wanted to set myself on fire when it was over. I did write a review, if you're curious. But it's not likely to change any of your minds. I think these are mainly me-problems. I'm jealous of all of you for enjoying it as much as you did. Wish I had the same experience.

First of all, wow, Doc. Well written but, wow. Them there a lot of hatin' words.

I am curious, and maybe I will write a post for the forum just on this, but why do comic book movies raise the ire so much? I mean, I get them becoming dumb, action films, with blowing up stuff and the like, but I'm trying to think of a comic book hero movie that did not do that.

I was going to mention this in the "Walk it Back Thread" but I will throw it out there that Captain America, one of the few films that I enjoyed for a while, is not quite as good of a film as I originally thought, still fits the bill of action film. So, I am curious with "Days of Future Past" is it a an indication of how comic books films have always been just on a bigger scale or is it somehow gone off the deep end in some new way?

(I have no idea if I am asking this question in a coherent way, so if that made no sense, feel free to move along).

Edit: And a quick typo fix due to my sleep deprived brain...

Last edited by fireproof78 (2014-05-27 05:19:25)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's the thing. In general, I really really like superhero movies. What I'm starting to really really HATE is superhero franchises. I'm sick of sitting through movies that are more interested in setting things up for some OTHER movie than, you know, telling an interesting story.

Show
This movie ONLY EXISTS to wipe out X3 and stroke the egos of fanboys who have been whining about it for years. "See, you were right all along! And we fixed it! Please see our next movie now, okay?" Fuck that. I want to see a movie, not 2 hours of apologetics.

And that would actually be okay if the 1970s storyline was even a little bit interesting, which it isn't. Characters decide to do things because the story demands it, and Wolverine keeps getting kept away from the action so that he doesn't change things too much. What's the point of sending him back if you're not going to do anything with him? And don't even get me started on the insulting idea that Kitty Pryde's phasing ability also means that she can send people's minds back in time. Do they think we're all idiots or something? Just introduce a new mutant if that's how you want to do it. Also, Bryan Singer is a shitty, boring filmmaker. Oh for the days of Matthew Vaughn, who made a period X-Men movie with actual period style, instead of boring, flat, digital ugliness. This is an awful movie.

Show
But if it wasn't for that cynical, blatantly pandering ending, I wouldn't be upset about superhero franchises right now. In fact, if this was the LAST X-Men movie, and that's the note they wanted to go out on, I wouldn't actually hate that. But no, there's an after-credits scene that I don't understand which indicates that they're just clearing the table for future installments and reassuring fans that those future installments will be good, and that they should pay to see them. Ugh.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-05-27 04:18:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with Doc entirely on this matter. This movie made me want to give up entirely on the series, including just not bothering with any more commentaries on it. But apparently we'll have to so I can explain how you're all crazy.

NOTHING HAPPENS IN THIS MOVIE.

It's not the worst of the series -- X3 and Origins have made a huge buffer zone for it -- but man, after FIRST CLASS, what a waste of time.

EDIT: Actually, one thing Doc hasn't mentioned is how any time there was any tension between two characters that could have been even remotely interesting if it were a running thread in the film, it was solved immediately by a single conversation in the very next scene they were in together.

OH MAN AFTER TEN YEARS MAGNETO AND XAVIER HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER BUT THEY HATE AND DISTRUST EACH OTHER HOW oh Magneto yells a bit and then they're over it yeah okay

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-05-27 04:56:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I'm just trying to understand the hatred of the film and translating to giving up on a franchise. I get not liking a film or however you want to describe it, but comic book movies have been a franchise, as immortalized by Trey's comment, "I will go see the Avengers. Will you let my family go now."

X-Men certainly has had its ups and downs, but not to the point would I give up on the franchise. Even Origins didn't do that for me, though X3 came close. Actually, funny now that I think about it, X3 was the one film in a franchise that I sighed in relief and thought, "At least they won't make any more..." Famous last words.

But, then I look at "Amazing Spiderman" franchise or Avengers, and despite being a bit overblown, are still franchises with some interest and life in it. I would argue that Spiderman right now has a bit more life, but that's just me.

So, is it the franchise being dragged out too much? In other words, are they pulling an Avengers with Captain America (the movie!), Thor (the movie!) Iron Man and we will fill in the rest, with X-Men: First Class being the Iron Man in that group? Each film is a piece to a larger film that hasn't come out yet, in essence, a commercial for The Next Big Thing (coming soon!).

Maybe I just don't get it or I am not as burned out as you guys are. Either is possible smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was just bored. When a franchise movie just plods along and bores me, that's when I walk away. It might have been exacerbated, again, by how very not boring its immediate predecessor was. Huge drop in storytelling quality, massive potential in the FIRST CLASS reboot wasted, since we'll probably never revisit those iterations of the characters.

It's a similar problem as I had with INTO DARKNESS. We rebooted the entire franchise and can do anything, so we're going to just go ahead and go back to doing the same shit we did before. I feel like I could just watch the first two X-MEN movies on a loop and get about as much out of it as this franchise has to offer me anymore.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-05-27 05:42:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the fact that we're un-ironically talking about the merit and "life" of franchises, instead of talking about stories and characters, speaks volumes about the tragic state of big-budget filmmaking today.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-05-27 05:44:51)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yep. My whole problem is that this movie gives us nothing to talk about in those terms. And it should have been SOAKED in it, my god.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On the other hand, I liked how this ended the franchise. I don't feel as though they really set up anything in particular save for the credits stinger I didn't see. I'd be happy to just leave it there, I don't really want to see the next installment, I'd rather have another (but good) Wolverine solo film. Although, apparently the next one is still the First class cast and they will deal with Raven from the end of this one so if they are doing a First Class trilogy, they probably should have left this one to last.

I have problems with the film, Kitty's unexplained new powers, new characters we have never seen before get zero back-story and less lines,  Wolverine has metal claws when he had bone ones at the end of The Wolverine, Beast is pretty pointless to the story and given his relationship with Raven in First Class doesn't get any time with her etc. It's not a perfect film and I probably didn't love it as much as some (I give it half a star less than, say, Faldor on Letterboxd) and I felt The Winter Soldier was the better film but I had fun. I like it when I have fun with a film, doesn't happen as often any more.

I don't get this place sometimes, man. Here is a big budget blockbuster that the majority of us like so far and yet there are still one or two telling us we are wrong. Usually, it is split evenly or the majority of us dislike the film but I think it's a fricking miracle that there is one that gets us this excited, it is so rare. Why can't we just like the bloody film, why does it always have to be this way every time part of a franchise is released? I'm not saying those who disagree can't have an opinion, of course you can but the use of language against this film is astonishing.  Nobody is forcing you to watch the next film, if you want to end the franchise here, then do it, I know I am.

There are so many wonderful strong willed and opinionated people on these forums but  let us have one for feck's sake big_smile wink

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-05-27 07:19:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

What did you lot think?

He asked.  neutral

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/3yb7AgV.gif

I dunno... I really enjoyed it....

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I enjoyed it in my initial viewing, but will revisit at some point soon just to see how it paves out.  I will say that I think the performances elevated the script.

I also think that regardless of any problems people feel with the script, and how that is quicksand if it doesn't work for you, this film is cut REAAALY well.  There's a lot of movie in this movie and I felt the editing really held all the pieces together nicely.  Now, if you don't LIKE the pieces, it won't matter much to you, and that's fine.  But in terms of highlighting one part of the process, that stood out to me.

Last edited by Eddie (2014-05-28 00:27:36)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I think the fact that we're un-ironically talking about the merit and "life" of franchises, instead of talking about stories and characters, speaks volumes about the tragic state of big-budget filmmaking today.

I'll happily talk about characters from any movie. Which one would you like to talk about? I mean, I have talked about Peter Parker in AS 2 being a bit of an "everyman" cipher, but has such an interesting personal conflict that I thoroughly enjoy. I have argued for Kirk being a fascinating character in Into Darkness and how well his arc plays out. I mean, I'm always up for characters talk. I don't get the technical side of things, so that is really my only thing here.

Jimmy B wrote:

On the other hand, I liked how this ended the franchise. I don't feel as though they really set up anything in particular save for the credits stinger I didn't see. I'd be happy to just leave it there, I don't really want to see the next installment, I'd rather have another (but good) Wolverine solo film. Although, apparently the next one is still the First class cast and they will deal with Raven from the end of this one so if they are doing a First Class trilogy, they probably should have left this one to last.

I have problems with the film, Kitty's unexplained new powers, new characters we have never seen before get zero back-story and less lines,  Wolverine has metal claws when he had bone ones at the end of The Wolverine, Beast is pretty pointless to the story and given his relationship with Raven in First Class doesn't get any time with her etc. It's not a perfect film and I probably didn't love it as much as some (I give it half a star less than, say, Faldor on Letterboxd) and I felt The Winter Soldier was the better film but I had fun. I like it when I have fun with a film, doesn't happen as often any more.

I don't get this place sometimes, man. Here is a big budget blockbuster that the majority of us like so far and yet there are still one or two telling us we are wrong. Usually, it is split evenly or the majority of us dislike the film but I think it's a fricking miracle that there is one that gets us this excited, it is so rare. Why can't we just like the bloody film, why does it always have to be this way every time part of a franchise is released? I'm not saying those who disagree can't have an opinion, of course you can but the use of language against this film is astonishing.  Nobody is forcing you to watch the next film, if you want to end the franchise here, then do it, I know I am.

There are so many wonderful strong willed and opinionated people on these forums but  let us have one for feck's sake big_smile wink

Well said. I pretty much feel the same way. I get people want to talk about the movie and characters and things, but I find it odd that there is this rant and rave against franchises, especially comic book film ones, when that has been the staple for many years. But, I missed the part where that was a bad thing. Like I mentioned before, well, it was done before with the Avengers, and certainly has been attempted more and more now that comic book movies have more traction as big budget films.

Actually, it's funny, because, like I said, I walked back my opinion of "Captain America" simply by virtue of viewing it from within the framework of the Avengers. So, while franchises may be a rough because they set up the next film and the next film, I find them enjoyable because they set up a context with which to see the characters.

But, hey, I'm just a nerd from Idaho (which, according to Cinema Sins, isn't a real place wink ).

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the idea that it "worked with The Avengers" is tenuous at best, given that the franchise tie-in stuff consistently dragged down all of the films leading up to it. There's not even an endgame being teased with X-Men, just an endless string of films to give money to over and over. Pass.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"I am sick to death of superhero franchises. We need to put a stop to them, and quickly."

Well, I can't accept the premise of your review, so...  big_smile

***Spoilers***

It did feel flat, I'll give you that. The future prologue just jumps in and exists only as a reason for Wolverine to exist in the past. In the comics, Kitty 'phases' her mind back, which kind of made sense with her powers in the way that people shooting kinetic energy from their eyes makes sense, but they didn't really explain that here, or how she does it to others. From the trailer, I thought it was going to be work from Prof. X and a machine, or in conjunction with someone else's powers. Kitty just learning how to do it is pretty weak.
However, with her being able to do this, nothing in the future bore any suspense. I knew how this film was going to end back when I saw the first trailer, and that nothing that happened to anyone in the future would be permanent. Storm's death wasn't shocking, nor upsetting. It's Storm. They weren't going to let that stick, even though they didn't see fit to give her anything to do except use her powers.
The other X-Men did get some pretty gruesome deaths at the hands of the Sentinels that were a little tough to watch, but none of them carried any weight and I didn't buy into the tension the finale was trying to build. In that regard, I was disappointed.
The only difference is I assumed Wolverine would get trapped in his younger mind and he would be the reason the events of the trilogy get changed, rather than them simply playing out differently because of the events of this film. Him 'snapping to' when he reaches the future seems kind of lazy, it'd have been far more interesting if he had gotten to consciously relive his life. I am happy they un-killed Jean and Cyclops, for what it's worth, but it's a shame that this so suddenly rewrites whatever canon the previous films had. This ending just turned First Class into a reboot rather than a prequel.

However, in terms of adapting "Days of Future Past", the film did a great job. The major details are still there. As a stand-alone, this is pretty cool. It plays out much like one of the recent Marvel/DC straight-to-video animated features would. As a sequel to X3, it makes very little sense. There is a huge leap it makes from X3's ending to DofP's beginning. If you shove The Wolverine in there and kind of accept that the world started ending while Logan was in exile, it helps, but eh. You can tell there wasn't a plan.
As a sequel to First Class, it works a little better, but with all the time used explaining why Wolverine is here, we don't get the same focus on some of the characters that we did. Aside from Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Beast, everyone else was killed off between films. Well, Havok was a cameo, which was disappointing. It's neat that he learned to control his powers and all, but showing him (and Quicksilver, for that matter) and then dumping him once his scene is over is the main problem X3 and Origins: Wolverine had.
The end of First Class shows Magneto and the Hellfire Club ready to go kick some less-evolved ass, and we get to see none of that. Skip to Magneto in jail and they're all dead? Come on. Fassbender's Magneto is still amazing, and I was left feeling like we got to see him in full form, but his actions in the past really didn't do anything that made us relate him more with McKellan's version.
"So, you were always an asshole." Pretty much.
However, I did really enjoy Xavier and Mystique's arcs. The allusion to drug addiction rocked my world, and giving Raven a time-travelling revenge intervention was pretty interesting. Her moment of discovering that Trask was responsible for the experimentation, torture and death of her friends(?) is exactly the kind of moment we needed to explain how we get from Lawrence's Mystique to Romijn's. Killing Trask was the moment that made her "evil", and seeing her standing on the edge before they pulled her back was great. Hopefully we will see some ramifications of that in Apocalypse.

Anyway, if you haven't read X-Men comics and you thought it was difficult to make room for all the characters in the films, oh boy. Outside of major events, you can have multiple plots running for issues that only peek in on what someone is doing until the one or two-parter comes where their plot is finally resolved. Even some main characters can be absent for long periods of time. Outside of the core roster, there are so many characters and most of them are boiled down to 'this guy has that powers so he can do this for them'. There's no time to flesh everyone out, but they do try to give most of them a decent story or scene when they can.
I'm amazed the films managed to show us as many characters as they did, even if the bulk of them are glorified cameos.

But hey, we got to see a proper Iceman, finally. So that was pretty cool.

X-Men needs to be a series. It's too big for this formula.
"Heroes" actually did a better X-Men than X-Men, in some ways.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-05-28 17:22:03)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I think the idea that it "worked with The Avengers" is tenuous at best, given that the franchise tie-in stuff consistently dragged down all of the films leading up to it. There's not even an endgame being teased with X-Men, just an endless string of films to give money to over and over. Pass.

Please note, and I doubled checked my post, but sorry for misunderstanding, I said it was done with Avengers, I did not say it worked or that it was a perfect system. My point was that was a trend that I saw in comic book movies, and was not surprised by the X-Men series. Again, for me, it creates a context that is larger than the characters, a whole world that might be new to some people (i.e. people who have not read the comics, or are only passingly familiar with X-men, Spider-Man, or Blade).

I will agree with the no end-game problem, but that is a frustration for me of comic books overall. Applying a similar concept to film does not, as Vapes noted, work if you are doing a film series. A TV series is better suited to that type of format.

Is the endless string of films the frustrating part? I am trying to understand the negative view of the franchise and right now, I do not understand.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh. Colon.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I saw this today and really liked it. The one main flaw is the whole 'future Pryde must keep mind phase link thingy active for entire time'. Given that the events in '73 occur over multiple days, are we to infer then that Kitty Pryde spent several days sitting motionless over Wolverine and didn't eat, shit or sleep?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I saw this today and really liked it. The one main flaw is the whole 'future Pryde must keep mind phase link thingy active for entire time'. Given that the events in '73 occur over multiple days, are we to infer then that Kitty Pryde spent several days sitting motionless over Wolverine and didn't eat, shit or sleep?

Something something mutant powers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Naturally, she phased her own mind back to when she wasn't hungry and/or didn't need to take a shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down