Re: Brave

Isaac wrote:

Mulan is not without problems.  Mulan being a warrior is the exception not the rule, they sing a song about how being a soldier is the same as being a man without much irony, and unlike in the original story, Mulan walks away from being a soldier at the end.

I'm not sure if I can agree that any of these are problems.

I can see a version of the story in which Mulan exists in a world where there were female warriors, but defying  social norms is a major theme of the movie. You'd basically have to rewrite the whole first act.

"I'll Make A Man Out of You" is pretty much a textbook example of dramatic irony. Shang sings passionately about turning his troops into "Men," but the first and most successful of them is a woman.

And Mulan's entire motivation for going to war in the first place was to save her father. There's no way the movie could've ended without resolving that through-line by having her return home.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Despite it's problems, as far as Disney goes, Mulan is probably my favorite, followed closely by Lilo and Stitch.

Mulan 2 certainly is not perfect, but worth at least one watch.

I mostly cringe at the far more Western influences on both movies. So, I certainly understand that.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin, as a story I agree that none of those are problems.  As a narrative, or even as a feminist narrative I don't have an issue with them.  But as a story consumed by young children, I don't like major parts of the messaging.  The takeaway of Mulan can easily be read as "normally men are soldiers, but Mulan was an exception."  The world of Mulan is one where all soldiers are men, for a while one woman was a very good soldier, but at the end we return to the status quo of all soldiers are men.

There is also some cultural insensitive stuff, and the fact that a woman in drag is a soldier, but a man in drag is a joke. 

Nonetheless, I'm happy that my daughter has a Mulan poster on her wall.  Mulan the character is a great hero.  The positives clearly outweigh what I perceive as negatives.

Isaac wrote:

But as a story consumed by young children, I don't like major parts of the messaging.  The takeaway of Mulan can easily be read as "normally men are soldiers, but Mulan was an exception."  The world of Mulan is one where all soldiers are men, for a while one woman was a very good soldier, but at the end we return to the status quo of all soldiers are men.

I totally respect where you're coming from, Isaac, and I've been sitting at my keyboard for several minutes now, trying to figure out exactly how I should reply. I'm probably feeling a little defensive of my second favorite Disney movie because I repeatedly have to defend my favorite Disney movie, The Little Mermaid, from accusations that it's anti-feminist.

Certainly, I agree that upsetting the status quo is a good thing, that's just not what this story is about. Mulan is the story of one exceptional person doing some exceptional things, and in my experience that almost never directly causes a change in the status quo. In fact, I think I would have greater problems with a story that implied that changing the status quo could be so easy. The little I've seen of the sequel, on the other hand, does show Mulan going on to provide an inspiration to other little girls in her village.

But the major reason I don't take issue with the character's exceptionalism is because even if not much has changed in the rest of her world, that doesn't lessen the fact that things have greatly changed for Mulan. She is the character with whom the audience (of primarily young children) is intended to identify, and I don't really find the messaging problematic in that regard.

And at the very least, I give it more credit than Brave; Mulan never apologizes to her father for defying him.

Totally agree on all the other stuff, tho, particularly the drag double standard. One of the other teachers at my school recently brought in a collection of cast off skirts and dresses for the kids to play with, and I am daily reminding them that it's perfectly okay for the boys to play dress up, too. Being the only foreigner in the room, however, makes me wonder if the kids aren't just dismissing it as "Cotterpin-sensei is so weird!" hmm

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
Isaac wrote:

But as a story consumed by young children, I don't like major parts of the messaging.  The takeaway of Mulan can easily be read as "normally men are soldiers, but Mulan was an exception."  The world of Mulan is one where all soldiers are men, for a while one woman was a very good soldier, but at the end we return to the status quo of all soldiers are men.

I totally respect where you're coming from, Isaac, and I've been sitting at my keyboard for several minutes now, trying to figure out exactly how I should reply. I'm probably feeling a little defensive of my second favorite Disney movie because I repeatedly have to defend my favorite Disney movie, The Little Mermaid, from accusations that it's anti-feminist.

I'd be very curious to hear that defense, actually, because while I don't know if "anti-feminist" is exactly the right word, it's most definitely a problematic film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
Isaac wrote:

Certainly, I agree that upsetting the status quo is a good thing, that's just not what this story is about. Mulan is the story of one exceptional person doing some exceptional things, and in my experience that almost never directly causes a change in the status quo. In fact, I think I would have greater problems with a story that implied that changing the status quo could be so easy. The little I've seen of the sequel, on the other hand, does show Mulan going on to provide an inspiration to other little girls in her village.

But the major reason I don't take issue with the character's exceptionalism is because even if not much has changed in the rest of her world, that doesn't lessen the fact that things have greatly changed for Mulan. She is the character with whom the audience (of primarily young children) is intended to identify, and I don't really find the messaging problematic in that regard.

And at the very least, I give it more credit than Brave; Mulan never apologizes to her father for defying him.

Totally agree on all the other stuff, tho, particularly the drag double standard. One of the other teachers at my school recently brought in a collection of cast off skirts and dresses for the kids to play with, and I am daily reminding them that it's perfectly okay for the boys to play dress up, too. Being the only foreigner in the room, however, makes me wonder if the kids aren't just dismissing it as "Cotterpin-sensei is so weird!" hmm

Well put, CP! I was trying to figure out a good response, since I think Mulan is one of the more admirable Disney movies out there. Your response is excellent, and connects the sequel in a way that I agree with. I like seeing the inspiration that Mulan has among the young girls, as well as the inspiration she has on the others around her. She is not just exceptional because of what she does; she is exceptional because she inspires others.

I would be curious to hear your defense of Little Mermaid. I don't always consider it anti-feminist, but it is not my favorite film either. In order to not derail this thread, feel free to PM anything you have written prior. I am very curious now smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think any film you show to a child is going to have some aspect some parent somewhere is going to find objectionable. The notion that such films are going to be 'pure' is unrealistic. Also, kids often respond and draw messages differently from adults. In the case of Brave, a young girl is much more likely to take away the idea that she should listen to her parents, specifically her mother, and to cherish the time they have with each other, and not 'I'm a girl and therefore the world treats me unfairly'.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I totally hear what you're saying Cotterpin.  I think, as redxavier points out, my issues are less about the movie and more about the world I want my child (and all other people) to live in.   While I could nitpick further, but "is Mulan a great kids movie or only a very good one" is probably not a debate that warrants further hashing.

redxavier wrote:

I think any film you show to a child is going to have some aspect some parent somewhere is going to find objectionable. The notion that such films are going to be 'pure' is unrealistic. Also, kids often respond and draw messages differently from adults. In the case of Brave, a young girl is much more likely to take away the idea that she should listen to her parents, specifically her mother, and to cherish the time they have with each other, and not 'I'm a girl and therefore the world treats me unfairly'.

This is an interesting question. Is Brave a film that requires a different point of view to draw the message out? We are looking at it from a matter of agency and freedom, breaking out of cultural norms, and the lack of a coherent narrative.

Now, before I get further in to this question, this is not to say to not think about this film in a critical way. Rather, it is asking to consider it from a different point of view, as red said, and see a different message than maybe we took away from it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel like that's a "bring your own concrete" excuse to the movie being so broken. For an explanation as to why this is generally considered to be not good and how if accepted, it could start movies on a slippery slope, revisit WAYDM's Prometheus commentary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

I feel like that's a "bring your own concrete" excuse to the movie being so broken. For an explanation as to why this is generally considered to be not good and how if accepted, it could start movies on a slippery slope, revisit WAYDM's Prometheus commentary.

I'm not disagreeing that the film is broken. That is not my point. More to my point is the idea that there might be a message that is being missed due to the adult perspective. Now, I think Eddie made the point that with kids having a more straight forward narrative is more beneficial as kids can follow it better. And Brave does not follow that rule. There is no argument there.

My question is more of an academic exercise of "Ok, if I'm a kid, would I see this differently?" I certainly am careful of what my daughters watch but that doesn't mean I apply the rules of film criticism to determine if they can watch a movie.

However, I will also freely concede that I have no problem bringing my own concrete to movies and am more dismissive of movies were the characters fail rather than the overall narrative structure.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

I'm probably feeling a little defensive of my second favorite Disney movie because I repeatedly have to defend my favorite Disney movie, The Little Mermaid, from accusations that it's anti-feminist.

In fact, I think I would have greater problems with a story that implied that changing the status quo could be so easy. The little I've seen of the sequel, on the other hand, does show Mulan going on to provide an inspiration to other little girls in her village.

Yup, yup, yup and ditto.

I've heard men criticize The Little Mermaid before and it really bothers me, but it's so hard to put into words why. I'm of the age group that watched it A LOT growing up and it was never my favorite film (I kinda preferred 101 Dalmatians, Cinderella and various other animal centric films.) But to echo Cotterpin, I don't find either The Little Mermaid or Mulan problematic. They both take women and their ambitions and challenges seriously which is a lot more than some "strong female character" movies do. We kind of talked about this on The Avengers thread, but I've been realizing it's much more about how the story respects the woman as a complete person and makes her feel real than it is about how many stereotypes she breaks. The stereotype-breaker movies feel a lot more superficial than the take-the-woman-seriously movies and seem to get a bit more praise for how "groundbreaking" they are in the press, but they don't seem to resonate with actual real-life women as much.

If it's only guys bashing how anti-feminist a movie is and women seem to love it (Twilight, Titanic, The Little Mermaid, etc.) then I feel like something's missing. If that many women love it then there's probably something real and serious in there that our culture trivializes about women. When people take what could otherwise be a thoughtful discussion about women and the arts and turns it into "why women are dumb for liking Twilight", something has gone seriously wrong. There's few things more soul-crushing to a woman than misogyny in the disguise of feminism. Misogyny, in part, minimizes the strength of female voices and their struggles; misogyny in the disguise of feminism practically eliminates female voices altogether. Women and teenage girls in particular have a hard time getting listened to once a man declares something "anti-feminist". If they defend it, the women look unenlightened, backwards and simple. If they decide to agree with the man, they reinforce the feeling that men know best and must decide what is fit for women to experience. That's not to say that men can't recognize mistreatment of women and call society out on it, just that, imo, women should be the key voices in a discussion like that.

That said, I've been trying to figure out why The Little Mermaid works for me (and my sister) specifically for about the past year, since Scriptnotes did an episode on that movie and basically said it was anti-feminist. We decided that it does a few key things wonderfully:

1. The narrative is guided by Ariel's main desire. She wants to be a human and live with the man she's in love with. She makes sacrifices to do this in giving up her family and her main talent, goes up against near insurmountable odds, defeats the villain, reconciles with the father, becomes the master of two worlds, literally gains her voice back and saves the prince in the process, btw.

2. Her voice. She sacrifices her voice *literally* to get what she wants in life and that's something a lot of women can relate to. (My sister really agreed with this part of the story resonating with her, as I recall.)

3. The villain is a woman and uses her insight into Ariel as a woman to manipulate her. She does this by keying into her dislike of her father, her romantic feelings towards this guy, the value Ariel places on her "one talent" and her fascination with the "other world". Disney female villains are a bit of a trope, but I think it's used to especially good effect here. Ursula is a fully realized character with actual motivations that make sense and she stacks the odds against Ariel in a way that makes Ursula look smart while still making Ariel look real, if a bit naive and vulnerable which gives her room to grow as a character during the rest of the movie.

4. The prince has something of a personality. Many 90's girls name Prince Eric as a character they love and why wouldn't they? Unlike other Disney princes, he actually gets to talk! He behaves in a believable, thoughtful and respectful manner towards Ariel and even has a key signifier of Disney main character personhood: an adorable animal sidekick.

5. Did I mention SHE saves HIM in the end? And HE is the one entranced by an evil witch.

6. She looked somewhat unconventional. It's easy to forget this in the age of Pixar red-heads, but a female Disney heroine who wasn't blonde was actually groundbreaking and ushered in a new era of diversity in main characters for the company. The Little Mermaid behind the scenes even talks about the moment when the Disney guys realized this plucky mermaid girl could have something other than blonde hair and how important that moment was for them and the reverberations of that decision. The behind-the-scenes are worth a watch, I'd say, if even just for that moment.

Pro-tip: since there appear to be a lot of dads of daughters on this board I thought I'd share how my dad handled this issue, since it's something I'm really thankful for: He exposed us to variety of movies/stories (all age appropriate) and encouraged us to share our gut reactions to whatever we were watching. He didn't just provide them but watched them with us (even if it was The Little Mermaid for the 100th+ time) and had long thoughtful discussions with us regarding whatever topics came up. He treated what we liked with respect. If we had a particular interest or really enjoyed one specific movie he'd try to find all the other similar movies and present them to us for our judgement. He rarely prescribed movies and when he did they were films like The Karate Kid that were personally important to him and he would share why he loved it and where he was in life when he saw it. That said, he did try to make sure we saw a lot of classic musicals, I think in part because of the wonderfully realized women they portrayed. We were free to like or dislike any movie, but instead of saying "yes, that's the right opinion" or "no, it's not" he would just sit down, look at us seriously and ask "Why don't you like it?" or "Why do you like this movie?" and then, as I said, listen for a long time. This gave us a chance to develop and feel secure in our own opinions and come to feel that our home was a safe place for creative exploration. That meant more to us than any supposed "message" in any movie. I think you'll find that your daughters are naturally going to gravitate towards self-respect, standing up for themselves and movies that respect them as women if you, too, treat them and their opinions, whatever they may be, with respect.

Alright /preachy rant. Thanks for listening. This is probably redundant in places as I've been flying for hours, but it's an important issue to me and I'm glad you guys talk about it.

Last edited by Bathilda (2014-06-12 06:57:39)

Bathilda wrote:

If it's only guys bashing how anti-feminist a movie is and women seem to love it (Twilight, Titanic, The Little Mermaid, etc.) then I feel like something's missing. If that many women love it then there's probably something real and serious in there that our culture trivializes about women. When people take what could otherwise be a thoughtful discussion about women and the arts and turns it into "why women are dumb for liking Twilight", something has gone seriously wrong. There's few things more soul-crushing to a woman than misogyny in the disguise of feminism. Misogyny, in part, minimizes the strength of female voices and their struggles; misogyny in the disguise of feminism practically eliminates female voices altogether. Women and teenage girls in particular have a hard time getting listened to once a man declares something "anti-feminist". If they defend it, the women look unenlightened, backwards and simple. If they decide to agree with the man, they reinforce the feeling that men know best and must decide what is fit for women to experience. That's not to say that men can't recognize mistreatment of women and call society out on it, just that, imo, women should be the key voices in a discussion like that.

Hi Bathilda, I hear what you are saying.  Things get messy.  Sometimes men maliciously try to twist
feminism into non-feminism.  Sometimes men are well intentioned but don't understand something key due to their privilege.  Some times a man can be entirely in favor of destroying male privilege while still subconsciously using his against a woman.  Some women are explicitly anti-feminist.  Different feminists have very different views of what feminism means.  The waters muddy real quick.

Whenever I discuss anything, I try to couch it in the language of "or so it seems to me."  Sometimes I don't state it explicitly but it is core to how I try to conduct myself.  When it comes to matters of gender, or race, or any other topic where I have the privilege, it should be doubly true. 

There is a problematic aspect to your point about letting women drive the discourse on matters pertaining to women, which to be clear, I very much back you on.  Any time a man states an opinion about feminism and a woman argues the opposite position, the man's opinion is automatically trumped by the woman's because he is not a man, right?  That seems bad but maybe it is a reasonable bad.   

I do consider the Little Mermaid and Twilight to have anti-feminist components.  I'm certainly not saying anyone man or woman who enjoys those stories is in the wrong or being a bad feminist but I find the messaging more than a little troubling.  Should I be able to make my case? 

I'm really asking.  I like discourse and I love being challenged but I have strong opinions.  I don't want those opinions to be hostile or condescending or combative.  If they are perceived as such, that's a good enough reason for me to shut up.

Bathilda, your dad sounds awesome. If I have kids, that's definitely the approach I'll take to movies.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I have far less issue with Little Mermaid than I do Twilight.  As a father of 1 boy and soon to be another, all I can really offer this conversation is that Twilight is a movie I want to watch with my son to explain how NOT to deal with women (provided his orientation turns out to be hetero).  I don't want my son thinking that the relationship between Edward and Bella is anywhere near normal or healthy, and that real love does not behave in the way articulated by those two.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Isaac wrote:

There is a problematic aspect to your point about letting women drive the discourse on matters pertaining to women, which to be clear, I very much back you on.  Any time a man states an opinion about feminism and a woman argues the opposite position, the man's opinion is automatically trumped by the woman's because he is not a man, right?  That seems bad but maybe it is a reasonable bad.   

I do consider the Little Mermaid and Twilight to have anti-feminist components.  I'm certainly not saying anyone man or woman who enjoys those stories is in the wrong or being a bad feminist but I find the messaging more than a little troubling.  Should I be able to make my case?

The important thing to realize in these kinds of conversation is that as a man, you (and I) are automatically less informed on the subject of what it's like to be a woman, and therefore should do more listening than talking. Also consider that there's a very good chance they already know your perspective and have heard it and had the same conversation before with other men. The whole thing is that your case, the male perspective, is often already made, it's the baseline social assumption. They've heard your side, or a variation on it, significantly more often than you've heard theirs.

That being said, I would be extremely interested in hearing an argument in favor of Twilight as a feminist novel. I wouldn't say it's explicitly anti-feminist, but it certainly seems to promote and celebrate all of the social structures feminism seeks to oppose.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Like Mike, I m not fully qualified to say Twilight is anti-feminist.  I'm quite certain however, that Twilight promotes a version of romantic love that is completely toxic to all involved, and extraordinarily dangerous to both young men and women.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair, most Hollywood movies promote a version of romantic love that, if not quite completely toxic, is at least unrealistic.

The extra problem with Twilight is that it's full of textbook red flags for an abusive relationship.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My point about Twilight is not so much that the content is feminist or anti-feminist, just that the Twilight fan-base is overwhelmingly female, extremely passionate AND treated with extreme derision. Society seems to have gone to a lot of trouble discrediting those books and movies as worthwhile art. I feel like that is partly BECAUSE it is liked so strongly and exclusively by women. I don't have any proof on this, obviously, just instinct and years of observation as well as my own personal experiences. I feel like what men enjoy is rarely put under a microscope and demonized the way that women's passions are. It feels very unfair! And in the case of Twilight, the criticism has felt almost violent which concerns me greatly. It's not cool, no matter how much people disagree with the content. You've still gotta love and respect the REAL women reading and watching the stuff, not just the fake ones depicted in the stories.

I also wish people (esp. men) put a lot more effort into seeing what attracts women to Twilight. It is clearly working for them on a level that few other works of art have. I don't have any special insight into this, having never actually read the books, but it's a text that has pervaded my social world, specifically my family, the last few years and I did see a couple of the movies because of that. They didn't grab me, but they took hold of enough women that I love to make me see that there's clearly SOMETHING there.

That said, I do have a few resources to get you started if you're interested in exploring some of the positives of Twilight or at least some of the negatives of the way Twilight fans are treated.

Spotlight is a book by John Granger (a well-respected Harry Potter/Young Adult Literature scholar) on the literary merits and strengths of the Twilight series. I haven't yet read Spotlight (hoping to this summer), but I've read enough of his Harry Potter stuff and heard him speak on Twilight enough that I'm willing to recommend it anyway.

Here's an EXCELLENT podcast episode where John Granger defends Twilight and talks about his book, Spotlight. -- Re-listening to it right now, really hits its stride around 22 minutes where John retells the basic elements of Twilight with the language of a classic fairy-tale, and grand/religious myth.

Excellent written interview with John Granger conducted by Lev Grossman, also on Spotlight.

This is my single favorite article on Twilight. Worth a read.

Related article, focusing on 50 Shades of Gray.

Here's a more general article about the unique features of the female fandoms (HP, Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.) and how the internet changed the game completely.

Let me know if you want more! They're out there!

Edited to re what Isaac asked: I basically agree with what Mike said. Also, IRL, I have not experienced my opinion trumping male opinions on the topic of feminism in modern art. There, men seem pretty eager to ignore my opinions on all topics, in fact. I feel very lucky if my opinions on women in movies are taken seriously at all ... which is part of why I keep visiting this forum so much. It's nice to be thoughtfully listened to for a change. : )

P.P.S. I'm curious what Cotterpin thinks of all this.

Last edited by Bathilda (2014-06-14 07:17:53)

Bathilda wrote:

P.P.S. I'm curious what Cotterpin thinks of all this.

I meant to jump back in sooner, but I knew it was going to take a while to gather my thoughts, which meant putting it off until Sunday.  smile

First off, regarding The Little Mermaid as an anti-feminist work, I've heard this argument many, many times. I disagree heartily with the idea that it's anti-feminist and don't see it as problematic. Without straying too far into strawman territory, the primary complaint usually I usually hear is about how Ariel "gives up everything for a man," which seems to me an inaccurate and reductivist reading of the story. Personally, I think Ariel's motivations are fairly complex for a 90 minute kids' movie. For one thing, Ariel never directly says, "I'm doing this for love of Eric!" It's implied, and Ursula, Flotsam, and Jetsam use it as the primary focus of the argument to convince her, but she never echoes their point. And once she becomes human, a great deal of time is spent focused on Ariel enjoying the human world in addition to her efforts to woo Eric. There's also the fact that two women are driving the action in film in which two men are the prize, which is just brilliant.

Phi wrote:

To be fair, most Hollywood movies promote a version of romantic love that, if not quite completely toxic, is at least unrealistic.

This is a big point for me. I'm not willing to judge a story with a female protagonist by standards well above and beyond those by which I would judge a male-driven story. I mean, honestly, when was the last time you heard someone complain about the lengths to which Aladdin goes to win over Jasmine? Movies have a limited time to get you from point A to point B, and that often means a lot of tropes are employed to move the narrative along swiftly, including the idea of love at first sight. This works very well for children (I've had plenty of kids tell me that they love me by the end of a 50 minute English class), but may stretch credulity with an older audience.

Now for my part, the complaints against The Little Mermaid have largely come from other women, and I don't typically see a lot of men adopting feminist language to disparage its quality. Bathilda is so right to acknowledge that this forum really is very different when it comes to the nature and quality of the conversation. More often than not, though,  feminist issues in "mainstream" media are largely overlooked, and media for women and girls just isn't taken seriously at all.  I've long been a big fan of romance novels and the sort of paranormal young adult stuff of which Twilight is a part, and I don't remember any of this sort of talk when I was a kid. That may be because, as redxavier points out, kids often take away a different message than their parents. And as much as she hated them, my mother has never asked my why I like romance novels so much, nor bothered to read one herself.

Eddie wrote:

Like Mike, I m not fully qualified to say Twilight is anti-feminist.  I'm quite certain however, that Twilight promotes a version of romantic love that is completely toxic to all involved, and extraordinarily dangerous to both young men and women.

I never finished reading Twilight because it's a very poorly written book. But I have read a lot of poorly written paranormal romance, and I don't think it's a particularly egregious example. I actually got much farther into Twilight than I did The Da Vinci Code or that ridiculous POS Eragon. Much like claims that violent video games turn kids into murderous psychopaths, overall, I think questions of Twilight's manifest evil are greatly exaggerated. Would I prefer that a better book had gotten all of that acclaim? Hell yes! But I promise you, regardless of its dubious quality, there are very few young fans out there planning their future romantic exploits based on the scrawlings of Stephanie Meyers.

With regards to the male point-of-view in a feminist dialogue, I'd probably require a more rigorous argument from a guy, but I like to think I'm willing to listen to all perspectives. Same with race. Prove that you know your stuff, and we'll see where the conversation takes us.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Well, I appreciate both Cotterpin Dozer's and Bathilda's perspective regarding this topic. While being male, that certainly does not mean I don't welcome other perspectives, or that somehow mine trumps all. Far from it. I always feel I have something to learn from other people's stories.

That being said, I read Bathilda's recommended article regarding Twilight and while I see the author's point of view, I certainly would not disparage Twilight because of the fact that it is a female fantasy, any more than I would disparage or dismiss a romantic novel. They may not be my genre or preferred book, but that hardly makes it worth diminishing.

However, I do agree that it is a poorly written story, with characters that are hollow, at best, and are difficult for me to connect to, or find any sort of relationship with them. And this is not just me, as CP pointed out. They are poorly written books that are regarded with great acclaim, and held as excellent works of fiction. I find that concerning, so I am cautious.

Now, I do not worry so much about my daughters finding strong female role models, because I am quite grateful to have several strong women, my mother included, to demonstrate to my girls what they can do. Movies and books provide a beginning dialog point, like Bathilda's dad did, and not the end.

From my perspective, it comes down to characters. Are the characters, male or female, people I can relate to or my daughters can relate to and can we learn something meaningful from them? That, for me, is the way to start a dialog in regards to media.

I am willing to attempt to understand the appeal of anything media related to women, from Twilight to Hunger Games. So, this discussion has proven to be very stimulating smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I agree with everything fireproof78 said (other than the being male part).

I think there is an underfilled market for good new fiction for women. See the success of The Fault in Our Stars, both movie and book. The Hunger Games is also pretty good (could be better...especially the ending). I haven't read Divergent so I can't judge it, but the movie was poorly reviewed.

I see Twilight as on the same level as the Michael Bay Transformers. I get that there's a market, but I'm not going to defend either of them from criticism. I refuse to believe that the lousy bits are integral to what makes them popular.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

I think there is an underfilled market for good new fiction for women. See the success of The Fault in Our Stars, both movie and book. The Hunger Games is also pretty good (could be better...especially the ending). I haven't read Divergent so I can't judge it, but the movie was poorly reviewed.

I read Divergent after a teenage girl friend recommended it to me after I complained to her at length about The Hunger Games. She swore that Divergent was far better, so I gave it a shot. It's not. In my estimation, Divergent sits between The Hunger Games (okay) and Twilight (awful). It's not as offensive as Twilight, but the author really struggled to understand her own ideas, her heroine was too much of a Mary Sue for me, and the action all seemed utterly pointless. I like my heroines flawed, and for their actions to have consequences. (Katniss fits the first criteria, but arguably not the second, particularly later in the series).

I never read the remaining Divergent books as I struggled with the first one, but I read several reviews on Amazon of the last book in the series, which were interesting - people were very divided on it and there were well over 1,000 reviews saying that the finale destroyed the entire series for them.

I recently read The Fault in Our Stars, which was pretty good. It kept me interested while I read it, but it's not one I would probably ever bother to go back to, and I haven't seen the film.

Last edited by everythingshiny (2014-06-18 04:23:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

everythingshiny wrote:

I recently read The Fault in Our Stars, which was pretty good. It kept me interested while I read it, but it's not one I would probably ever bother to go back to, and I haven't seen the film.

The biggest problem with TFIOS is how contrived the whole romance really seems. I have a feeling it's because Green couldn't help but do something with star-crossed lovers once he hit on the idea of a story about cancer sufferers. Hazel and Augustus fall in love far too quickly, and it doesn't feel natural. Green's Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns are much better in that regard--they have TFIOS's wit and enthusiasm, but deal with characters and relationships that fel far more developed and real.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

I think there is an underfilled market for good new fiction for women.

I'm sure they're being written, but just not being found/read.

My friend was thinking about this the other day, so she asked twitter to suggest good books written by women and/or which contain strong, well-written female protagonists. She got a huge list pretty fast. This is all Fantasy/SFF-based, but it shows that there's plenty, it just needs more exposure smile
Women in Fantasy.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile