Re: Game of Thrones (TV Discussion | SPOILERS)

Few that made me chuckle...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpHwNLfIIAAfI9u.png

http://www.imagegainer.com/images/triangleCHOKE/yjvl1lz.jpg

http://giant.gfycat.com/PowerlessHoarseAmericancrow.gif

Good Cosplay
http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/renlycosplay.jpg

Not so good cosplay
http://i.imgur.com/FNvx3NX.jpg

Last edited by AshDigital (2014-06-06 15:59:17)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Weeeellllll that was awesome.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saniss wrote:

It actually hit me harder than the Red Wedding, oddly.

I have never reacted so strongly to reading something in a novel. I was literally nauseous for a few minutes afterwards.

I'm so tempted to start watching the series (left off on season 2) as I'm intrigued about whether it's possible to experience that same shock again.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, bless your heart.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--brq33fmI--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ipvzgq1ajvn9auoidccb.jpg
http://www.memecenter.com/fun/3329267/khuu-khuu

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Oh, bless your heart.

Like this?

Adorable.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks. I have ideas for about 10 of those "alternate endings" throughout the series that I'm gonna make over the next week or two.

As a GoT reader (and thus someone who has always known where this plotline is going), I have to say the showrunners have done a great job of structuring the entire season to get to tonight's episode... and I look forward to checking back in a few hours. smile

Maisie just put out a tweet saying "I'll see you next year." and I just had the bizarre thought of how weird it is that the continued life of a regular cast member could be considered spoiler worthy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

That was one of the joys of watching Blake's 7 years after it first aired. Our PBS station just ran all four seasons straight through, and given the number of cast members who were killed at the end of a season the tension really increased as you got the feeling you were getting close to that episode...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a feeling this is going to be a much more jovial thread than the book reader one.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Something happened differently? Now I want to go into the thread and find out...

Must... resist...

DON'T. Enjoy the pleasure of a very good episode of television without the burden of having to nitpick book changes/omissions. Also there be crazy spoilers all up in that shit.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-06-16 02:56:47)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Something happened differently?

The only thing that happened differently in any significant way was actually an improvement on the events in the books.

The issue of contention is that there's another major twist that book readers have been waiting for since the end of last season that still hasn't happened, but could have come tonight.  Mostly because we all want to savor the reaction to it.  smile

But otherwise, thumbs up from this book reader.

Still think they dropped the ball by having the Stannis arrival in this episode instead of episode 9. I always pictured it as a "Gandalf saves Helms Deep in the last inning" moment. The way it ends up playing out in this finale, it's almost a non-event, instead of the "fuck yeah Stannis" moment it should be.

Rest of the episode was great though. I haven't seen a classic 60s-style stop-motion-looking skeleton fight like that since Army of Darkness.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On FATHER'S DAY???

Tell me that wasn't planned.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Wait'll you see what they do for Mother's Day next year...  wink

Trey wrote:

Wait'll you see what they do for Mother's Day next year...  wink

http://diaryofawhinyguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/kill-me-now.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

Something happened differently?

The only thing that happened differently in any significant way was actually an improvement on the events in the books.

I wouldn't go that far. The motivation and dialogue for the stuff with Jamie, Tyrion and Tywin was altered to such an extent that it lost some of it's impact on me.

bullet3 wrote:

Still think they dropped the ball by having the Stannis arrival in this episode instead of episode 9. I always pictured it as a "Gandalf saves Helms Deep in the last inning" moment. The way it ends up playing out in this finale, it's almost a non-event, instead of the "fuck yeah Stannis" moment it should be.

Amen to that.

Last edited by Ewing (2014-06-16 04:52:44)

Well, to be clear I'm not speaking from a fan viewpoint most of the time.  I mean I AM a fan of both the books and the show, but when comparing the two I come at it from a forensic perspective.  As in - I'm looking at how the showrunners navigate the minefield of adapting Martin's gigantic sack of storylines into a workable tv series. 

So I'm not bothered when minor things like character motivations differ from the books, as long as they're still workable character motivations within the context of the show.  I am impressed when events take a major departure from the books - and even more impressed that when they've done it, it's usually an improvement.

Inventing that Arya/Hound/Brienne/Pod encounter was such a neat trick that Martin himself may have said "Hell, why didn't I think of that?" smile

Ya that kinda stuff doesn't bother me, but the Stannis thing is a clear place to me where they screwed up the execution of the moment. Like, even if they wanted to have this scene with Mance and do the attack in episode 10, they should have at least milked the moment, make it look like this is it, Jon is about to get stabbed and then bam, horns. They try and fail in my opinion, the way the film grammar is used (combined with how early in the episode it is), I don't think even a casual audience will actually think that Jon is going to die right then and there.

It bums me out because that was my favorite moment from Book 3, but I guess when you're juggling 200 steak knives at the same time, you're bound to drop one every now and then

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I considered it a possibility because for a few moments I thought, "O crap, white walkers." I had sorta forgotten what Stannis was up to so was not expecting him at all.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Between virtually every book reader I know sniggering to themselves and telling me they knew exactly what shot was going end this season for the past 4 months, and it was going to blow everyone's mind, I was expecting more.

Don't get me wrong it was another solid episode, and some cool stuff happened, but not anything more than a typical episode really. Clearly there's some hype bias going on here (Thank you for that by the way all you smug motherfucking book readers out there in the world), but it just didn't do anything for me as a season finale, it really feels like there's one more episode where a bunch of these threads are going to get tied together in some epic way, but everyone is just kinda travelling (Hah, get it? Cause at the end of the episode basically everyone is literally just going somewhere else...)

Maybe it'll get better on a rewatch in the future... -shrug-. Looking forward to next season but mostly because it's still a good show not out of any "Holy shit what's gonna happen next??".

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-17 08:31:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

bullet3 wrote:

...instead of the "fuck yeah Stannis" moment it should be.

Wait...are we supposed to be cheering for Stannis?? He's dull and an asshole, worse than that he's a dull asshole. If you asked me to tell you Stannis's plotline, I would get about as far as "Dull guy looks out on grey landscape and moans about not being king." Before I run out of things to say. The only thing that makes his entire storyline worth anything is Davos and the Red Woman, and even she isn't actually doing anything these days outside of staring mysteriously at random people and then disappearing.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-17 08:59:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We're recording an Extended Edition episode tomorrow at 9pm BST and have two spare slots if anyone would care to join us?

drop me a forum PM.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog