Topic: The Fifth Element

Booyah.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Fifth Element

Great Asthetic + Great Music + Great Character Actors + Great Visuals (amazing, for the time) + Luc Besson - coherant story = The Fifth Element

Ha!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I decided to actually watch the movie first...and um wow.

But I gotta say, I can't be the only one thinks Milla speaking the divine tongue is one of the most awesome things I have ever heard.

Anyways....on with the commentary.

EDIT: I'm back, enjoyed it as per usual. Not really much to say on this one, it is definitly just one of those movies you have to just sit back and go and say "Yep that was a thing."

Although since you were talking about him, Lee Evans is actually a really funny stand up comedian. And Mouse Trap, while not necessarily a "quintessential" movie of my childhood, it was definitely one of the ones I loved when I was that age (and still do actually), and it was probably the first movie I fell in love with Nathan Lane.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-09-20 11:31:27)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Excellent commentary. A few bullet points I'd like to mention:

1. It's pronounced Yovovich. I'm always quick to point this out to people because I have a similar problem with my last name. People are always saying it wrong, so I just tell them, "It rhymes with sandwich". smile

2. The guy Trey said was Mos Def, is actually UK Trip-Hop sensation, Tricky. He works with Massive Attack a lot (I don't have the info in front of me, but I think he may have even been one of the original members).

3. Luc Besson originally wrote The Fifth Element when he was 16 (which if you ask me, helps to explain some of the more immature and over-sexual aspects).

3. Gary Oldman was originally very excited to do the project because he's a big Bruce Willis fan and was looking forward to working with him. We can all imagine his disappointment when he found out the reality of the situation. Even with that brief shot of them sort of crossing paths, Oldman and Willis didn't actually meet each other until the premiere.

4. The language of the Supreme Being (which I agree with maul2 is amazing) is a complete, working language made up by Besson. He and Milla are the only two people who can use and understand it. In fact, the two of them would communicate that way on set.

5. Milla was briefly married to Luc Besson for a year and a half, from December 14th, '97 to June 12th, '99.

Last edited by johnpavlich (2010-09-20 12:41:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude that's crazy, I still cannot wrap my head around these people who can just make up their entirely own language and use it in day to day life; I mean I understand the mechanics of how it could work, but it just seems like so much bloody work to make it happen. People that do that kind of shit blow my mind (But not the Navi guy, cause he's a fucking professor of language or whatever) end, period and full stop.

PS. Milla is so fucking cute...

I've watched the chicken scene about 4 times in a row....that sounds a little pervy...but her performance is just so awesome.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-09-20 14:20:46)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Tricky was also married to bjork.

TThis movie does a great job of creating a very in depth lived in world. One of my all time faves. I may have bought the sound track 3 times. Most of the effects still hold up today imo.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tricky was NEVER married to Bjork.  She did date Goldie for some time though.  Tricky has children with the amazing Martina Topley-Bird, who sings on a few of his albums.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, now you're just making up names.

johnpavlich wrote:

Excellent commentary.

Really? They spend the whole time quoting lines and explaining the plot to Teague. Michael read the IMDb trivia page, and Trey is pretty good at guessing actors and art designers (and making smutty jokes).

[folds arms] On a scale of one to French, I give it a German.5. Hmmmph.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, we didn't have much to say about the movie, all told. Ya'll voted for it. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Dude that's crazy, I still cannot wrap my head around these people who can just make up their entirely own language and use it in day to day life.

Never known any twins?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a really close friend growing up, an Indian girl, and we had what I thought was a little secret language that we shared. Which her mother later informed me was Hindi. So at some point in my childhood I apparently kind of knew Hindi without realizing it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I knew these two girls in high school, identical twins, Christina and Patrice. They spoke fluent Twin. At first I just assumed they were putting us all on, but on a dare, they once spoke entirely in Twin for a solid hour. I believed then, and believe now, that the absolutely were not faking it.

It was kind of like pidgin. The sentence structure was really simple. No pronouns. They referred to themselves and each other as "Tee" and "Ree." Lots of one-syllable words. It was kind of awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A better test would have been to have told one of them something, had them communicate it to the other, and ask the other what was said.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, we did that. We did plenty of stuff along those lines during lunch breaks early in freshman year. One of the smart kids had the bright idea of asking a question, then having each girl whisper the answer in Twin. They matched.

It might not have been an especially great language, but it seemed to be pretty much feature-complete.

Funny thing about it was, after listening to them for just a couple minutes, I felt like I could almost understand. It was strange.

(Not strange like oh-my-god-primal-universal-language. But strange like almost but not quite being able to pick up the patterns.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah actually come to think of it, no. I have never known any twins...weird.

EDIT: Just watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"...I see what you mean. Also, I love George Clooney.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-09-21 08:13:43)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:
johnpavlich wrote:

Excellent commentary.

Really? They spend the whole time quoting lines and explaining the plot to Teague. Michael read the IMDb trivia page, and Trey is pretty good at guessing actors and art designers (and making smutty jokes).

[folds arms] On a scale of one to French, I give it a German.5. Hmmmph.

Did I stutter? Yes, really. smile For me, just like movies, the worst thing a commentary can be is boring. DiF is free. I'm not paying anything for it, so I don't feel entitled, as if the commentary has to be anything more than entertaining. These guys don't owe me anything. I was entertained by it, as I often am with Down In Front. Granted, if they can also be insightful and informative then all the better.

I found Down In Front's commentary for The Fifth Element to be entertaining, and I'm okay with that. They certainly get major points for this:

"I've never heard it described that way, but you've perfectly crystalized The Fifth Element. It's Blade Runner as done by Cirque du Soleil. It's wet, and French, and gay and on fire!"

In fact, I think that one deserves to be on the quotes page at zarban.com smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:
maul2 wrote:

Dude that's crazy, I still cannot wrap my head around these people who can just make up their entirely own language and use it in day to day life.

Never known any twins?

My Sister and I are twins. We never had our own language. Also, when one of us gets physically injured, the other does not feel the pain. Having said that, there have been occasional moments where one of us will be having a bad day or have just suffered an emotionally taxing experience, the other will have this odd sense of that and pick up the phone to see how they're doing. Go figure. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:
Jeffery Harrell wrote:
maul2 wrote:

Never known any twins?

My Sister and I are twins. We never had our own language. Also, when one of us gets physically injured, the other does not feel the pain.

But you're fraternal, not identical, twins, which is a bit different.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

"I've never heard it described that way, but you've perfectly crystalized The Fifth Element. It's Blade Runner as done by Cirque du Soleil. It's wet, and French, and gay and on fire!"

In fact, I think that one deserves to be on the quotes page at zarban.com smile

It is. It gave me high hopes for something in the Belgian to Japanese range, as I have come to expect from Down in Front. But once I got to "There's not much to say about this movie" and "Now we're just quoting lines again", it was pretty much over. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't French, and nowhere near double-French (yes, my scale of 1 to French has a bonus rank).

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Ah yes. That must be why. smile

Also, I, too have the soundtrack/score to The Fifth Element and it is indeed awesome. Did you ever notice that in the Ruby Rod excerpts, Bruce Willis' voice is replaced/dubbed over? The Fifth Element video game is similar. If I remember correctly, the cut scenes that show footage from the film don't feature shots of Bruce, and in the actual game, his character's face and voice are completely different. Jovovich at least worked on the game, so there is that. I remember the game looking cool, but the controls had a very odd layout, making gameplay very frustrating and not fun. Speaking of Bruce Willis and video games, there's a Playstation game he did called Apocalypse that's a ton of fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally got around to listening. I agree it was more of a "watching with your friends" vibe then actually talking about the film, but that's OK. It's an excuse to watch the movie again smile I had never noticed the Sanctuary manga in his apartment before- it's a great book, if you can track it down, as well as a good live action film. Two child survivors of the Killing Fields grow up in Japan and decide to jointly remake society from both ends- one runs for public office and the other joins the yakuza.

I think this movie is the reason for my love of the music genre 'Opera Metal'- fantastic female singers with a great metal band behind them (and often a male death metal singer for a fun counterpoint). If you haven't heard Nightwish, check them out smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for mentioning Sanctuary Invid, i'm checking it out now. Looks good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're welcome smile This has made me pull out my copies to re read it. The manga goes on a bit too long, a usual problem as either the publisher doesn't want a good thing to end or the creators like the paycheck. The same duo did Mai the Psychic Girl, the story Tim Burton wants to turn into a rock opera.
As for the movie, it never made it onto DVD in the US from what I can tell. I really have to track down a copy. either the old subtitled VHS version from Viz or something digital...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down