Topic: What Are You Playing?

I could have sworn we already had one of these, but I couldn't find it.

Same rules as the What Are You Watching Threads, but for games! Board, video, mind, take your pick, what are you playing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I managed to snag a Beta Key for the Closed Beta that was happening this weekend for WildStar, so I spent some time yesterday and today playing and recording (let's play, for those that don't know that about me) for about 4 hours in total.

WildStar is an MMO due to be officially released on June 3rd. I've never been an MMO guy, I never really understood the appeal, but most of that was based on WoW and the community/RL mythos around it and just never having it be a part of my life. I tried Guild Wars 2 during a free play weekend they had a year or so back, but wasn't really impressed and just kinda forgot about it. But I gotta say after just the little I played this weekend, I am thoroughly surprised. I had sooo much fun. The style of it is great, the humour is awesome without being too intruding, and looking through a couple of minor glitches (it is still beta so to be expected) the gameplay and mechanics are all great.

I started off saying I would probably play it for the weekend and then forget about it, and ended saying I could see it being a regular feature for my channel I was enjoying it so much. I still don't understand the whole idea of getting addicted to an MMO, I don't really get how that happens, but that's probably just my personality type more than anything, but it was definitely very fun and I could see there being a lot of great stuff coming in it.

If you're curious (They do have a pre-order avail.): http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

And if you wanna check out my LP for it the first episode is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fhN2IxzTI

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: What Are You Playing?

At the moment Euro Truck Simulator 2 is my baseline game. Which to everyone sounds like a joke but then five hours in you're building your company from the ground up and timing your runs to deliver ahead of schedule and get paid quickly.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/597032409679526637/FE0607E36CFAA68E60583EE0CB47990DBB13D29D/

Played South Park: The Stick of Truth last week and loved it, great game. And started playing Mini Ninjas for my first Let's Play series, we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by Boter (2014-04-20 19:33:44)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Finally beat Hotline Miami the other day. I was terrible at it for so long, but for some reason it finally clicked and I breezed through the last ten chapters.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yup, I made this thread a while back  tongue

http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1216

Not played much in a while though. I really need to get round to finishing Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

Yup, I made this thread a while back  tongue

http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1216

Lol, last post was when I STARTED playing Borderlands, no wonder I couldn't find it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I started playing Valkyria Chronicles again over the weekend, with the intent to finish it. I love this game so much... great story, great characters (if you don't mind some anime archetypes), and really unique gameplay. Closest to a World War II game I'll ever play.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Hearthstone, Sol Forge, Calculords

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Things here and there

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Just a little as I'm terrible at it. Been wanting to see what this series is like for awhile now. Interesting so far.

Tropico 4
Played just enough to remind me why I love the idea of city sims more than actually playing them... because I'm terrible at them. Fun tho!

Super Mario Bros. Crossover
An awesome little browser game that mashes up a couple of NES characters into the original Super Mario Bros. Highly recommend using a gamepad + Joy2key. Fun game to distract me from homework.

Dota 2
Valve's moba thingy. I dunno, I can't poke fun at mobas if I don't ever play one. And from what I played, I'm terrible at this one (seeing a theme here). It also nearly requires a team to be fun and other people scare me.

Dark Souls
Oooh what fun. Difficult, though not completely unfair. It asks you to really, really be aware of enemy patterns and think really hard for you to progress. Interesting stuff, though I'm terribly slow at playing it.

Also got really into watching speedruns as they help me sleep yet are super interesting (at least to me)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been playing a fair amount of Men of War 2 Assault Squad 2 recently, which is available on Steam as an early access game (paid for beta). It's a bit like Company of Heroes, so an RTS World War 2 game, but with a lot more tactics and control involved. Good game.

Also just started playing Red Orchestra 2, a WW2 FPS game with a much greater emphasis on realism (that is, you die pretty much instantly when shot) and its companion game Rising Storm which were both going cheap on Steam. I'm not quite sure how much I like it yet, like with any FPS game with a team it really depends on how good your teammates are. My experience so far is that the game seems a great deal more balanced than the Battlefields, in that one team isn't always completely dominating the other.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MLB 14: The Show is constantly in my PS3 right now. I had given up on the MLB series because I was tired of starting from scratch every time a new game came out (in regard to my Road to the Show player) and because I hated the goals system (what do you mean I'm being benched because I didn't walk 8 times in 3 weeks?! I hit 15 home runs and drove in 40 RBI!).

Both were resolved this year, with players that can be imported into future game versions and a new goal-less system for getting promoted to the Majors.

Started playing Max Payne 3 today, a friend gifted it to me on Steam a while back. Very frustrating 'game', and I put that in quotes because about 60% of it is cutscenes. There's a cutscene between every section/gunfight of every level. Nearly all of them aren't necessary (i.e., any other game would have incorporated them into the gameplay) and they become fucking irritating after a while quite aside from how they're downright intrusive and immersion-breaking.

Further, the gameplay has a lot to be desired, with an inconsistent cover system (enemies can shoot/through around objects), cheating AI, cheap enemy placement, and iffy controls that get you killed more often than not. It's also scripted up the wazoo, with very little variation and a lot of 'ok so now I know a guy spawns behind me here'.

Just goes to show, sometimes the reviews (metacritic score of 87!) don't get it right.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been having great fun with Nidhogg and Race The Sun recently.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mario Kart 8 - I love this game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A bunch of women have created a lesbian mod for Dragon Age: Origins, and I've been playing with that. It's impressive what they've done, not just changing just about every female NPC into someone you can romance, but introducing some new plot lines if you dig around. It does turn your character into a bit of a slut, and everyone hitting on you can be a bit much. It's also unstable as hell on my Mac, even with just about every other mod removed. They're slowly replacing the computer generated voices with real ones, but it's still rather bad in that department. Worth a try, though. Some of the new cutscenes are quite well done.

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4134/?
It's an adult mod, and you may have to become a free member to see the page.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"It does turn your character into a bit of a slut"

Welcome to Dragon Age mods.

...My wife is currently playing DA2 behind me. Modded, though not heavily. Doesn't compare to her DA:O mod that had full nudity... and when she thought she'd disabled the mod when her dad was over and tried out the game, but hadn't...

Hilarity!

Currently playing Fallout 3 for Xbox 360. Pretty fun in terms of RPGs go and I really enjoy the combat system. The world is becoming a little tedious due to the constant threat of being shot and/or eaten by various beasts.

It is a good blend of RPG and FPS game that I really enjoy, similar to Deus Ex, with a more interesting combat system.

Kind of wish I had it on PC to do some modding but I still enjoy it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watch_Dogs.
I love it, just not as much as I thought I would. Freakin' hype got to me.

I've also got The Last Of Us next in line.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tom, what version do you have, PC? I was hoping that the game would have a second screen capability to use your actual phone as Aiden's in-game phone but I can't find anything to that effect anywhere.

I am playing Batman: The Movie on the Amiga 500. What?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor made me miss playing Faery Tale Adventure, Drip, and SimCity (the first one) on my dad's Amiga.

http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/boing168-64-200.gif

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I just stumbled upon Yoda Stories in my closet. Not sure if my computer will even run it...

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/13127-star-wars-yoda-stories-windows-screenshot-yoda-stories-screenshot.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You just nostalgia'd me so hard. Now I want to play Yoda Stories again, even though it kinda sucked.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Tom, what version do you have, PC? I was hoping that the game would have a second screen capability to use your actual phone as Aiden's in-game phone but I can't find anything to that effect anywhere.

PS3.
The CtOS Mobile application is for iOS/Android, and isn't a second screen. Instead, it's pretty cool. You can challenge people playing the game in real time, where you play as the cops, and they try to escape. You get the map view of the city, whilst commanding a helicopter. You get to dispatch cars and hack traps for the poor bastard. Give it a go, it's really, really fun, especially if you challenge someone who's in the same room as you.
I'm also at level 24 on that thing tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting. W_D is one of those games I may wait for an eight-gen system for, especially knowing I won't directly be missing out on second screen staying with my 360. It'll also be cheaper by then, too tongue

Ah, Yoda Stories... I wasted many hours of my childhood playing that....

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool