Topic: Edge of Tomorrow (Spoilers)

http://www.flicksandbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/edge-of-tomorrow-poster.jpg

This hasn't opened in the USA yet, but opened in Europe last week. For Christ's sake, don't read this as it contains spoilers!!!

95% on Rotten Tomatoes! This has gotta be the greatest thing since sliced bread, right?

It's been a year since Oblivion and Tom Cruise is saving the Earth from aliens again. It even ends in a similar way - the ol' suicide bomber-as-hero trope.

Like Oblivion, it's assembled from a dozen other sci-fi movies. But computer games are its primary inspiration... mech suits, respawning, helpful friendly frags, and boss levels. Primary demographic is 14-19 year old boys.

There's a lot of shooting (but at least there's no punching this time). Half the movie seems like it's relentless loud firing - of the ineffectual 'Starship Troopers' kind where it requires 10,000 bullets to take down one alien. Of course, Emily Blunt's blunt machete can kill instantly.

We've seen a lot of the set pieces before e.g. Matrix Revolutions' attack on Zion.

Off the top of my head, the ingredients are: Source Code, Saving Private Ryan, Matrix Revolutions, Aliens, Groundhog Day, Crysis, and Starship Troopers.

The chemistry between Cruise and Blunt ranges from mildly snarky to extra snarky. Everyone has Asperberger's, which is the standard characterization trope for 21st century Hollywood movies and TV shows. There are no real other characters. A few broadly sketched cardboard cut-outs we've seen done better elsewhere. As usual, Cruise sucks all the star power out of the rest of the cast. A Cruise movie is a movie where there's only Cruise. He doesn't do ensembles.

On the plus side, there's some good humour moments. As expected these days for any near-$200M movie, the VFX can't be faulted. I'm sure it's 90% greenscreen, but the compositing and CG is fine.

Some of the action is frenetic, and even sitting in the back row of IMAX, it was hard to tell what was happening sometimes. The 3rd act is at night and a little murky.

Score - loud.

Plot inconsistencies - why was a US Major (specializing in PR) assigned to the J-Squad grunts? Dunno. Why did Emily want to fly the chopper even though Cruise always told her there's a Mimic nearby? She listened to him up until then as he had prior knowledge of events. Why didn't she unhook the trailer? Why was there only one Alpha guarding the big boss Omega? On the final reset in the epilogue, why was the Paris power surge detected in the morning of the repeating day instead of that night? Why are they called "mimics" when they don't mimic? Why are there mimic squids buried at random places in the French countryside?

Does the movie end with Cruise becoming Bill Murray and learning to say the right things until he can bed Emily (who's young enough to be his daughter)?

In summary, I'd rank this slightly below Oblivion as it lacks the Oblivion's superb production design and M83 score. On the other hand it's got more action and humour. So depends on what floats your boat.

So what did you guys think? Would you rather play the computer game?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Edge of Tomorrow (Spoilers)

Like Oblivion, it's assembled from a dozen other sci-fi movies. But computer games are its primary inspiration... mech suits, respawning, helpful friendly frags, and boss levels. Primary demographic is 14-19 year old boys.

[snip]

So what did you guys think? Would you rather play the computer game?

Haven't seen it, but you've reminded me of a Japanese movie called St. John's Wort. It tries to visually replicate a Resident Evil style horror game: all the cameras are mounted in fixed locations in the rooms, giving limited angles, doors must be unlocked, etc. They even found an excuse to have a "map screen" on their laptop as they explore the house. It's not a GOOD movie, but I admire the attempt.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://hollywoodandswine.com/warner-bro … -tomorrow/

http://hollywoodandswine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/edge-of-tomorrow.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from seeing it myself. I went in to it blind, only having seen it advertised on the side of the bus and not really knowing anything about it apart from 'Tom Cruise is in some cool looking suit'.

It didn't really grab me until Cruise wakes up for the first time. Obviously I had no idea what the film was about, so this came as a nice surprise - but I'm sure I would have known it was coming if I'd seen the trailer. From there in out it definitely held my interest throughout (although it did start to drag around the middle).

Overall I'd say it was enjoyable, but nothing special.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't X-men or Spiderman or Batman or based on a TV show, or a sequel to something I saw already.   It told an interesting story, had some fun doing it, didn't insult my intelligence nearly at all.  The last movie that was all of the above was... hell, maybe Gravity?

The last big action setpiece was a tad too greenscreeny cartoony, but after so much good stuff before that, I'm willing to be forgiving.

Overall - Best movie of the year so far.

Finally, a movie with a "magic blood" plot device that works! This is the new bar for summer blockbusters for me. Every summer blockbuster should be AT LEAST as good as this, in every capacity. Man did this movie make me happy.

Plot inconsistencies -
1) why was a US Major (specializing in PR) assigned to the J-Squad grunts? Dunno.

2) Why did Emily want to fly the chopper even though Cruise always told her there's a Mimic nearby? She listened to him up until then as he had prior knowledge of events.

3) Why didn't she unhook the trailer?

4) Why was there only one Alpha guarding the big boss Omega?

5) On the final reset in the epilogue, why was the Paris power surge detected in the morning of the repeating day instead of that night?

6) Why are they called "mimics" when they don't mimic?

7) Why are there mimic squids buried at random places in the French countryside?

1) He was demoted to the rank of Private because he was a deserter.
2) Because, like she says, she's a soldier. It's not in her nature to give up even when the odds are impossible. In her mind, she can still get away if she tries.
3) She forgot to unhook the trailer.
4) Because clearly they didn't need more than one. They were mounting a full-scale attack on human civilization at the same time, and Alphas are extremely rare (one in six million, I think the scientist guy says.) They could probably only afford to keep one behind.
5) Because the reset was caused by the destruction of the Omega. Immediately after the reset, it failed to reconstitute. Or something. Does it matter?
6) They're called mimics because of their ability to precisely imitate (and counter) Earth's military strategies. I'm 99% sure they say this during the opening, but it's easy to miss because of the overlapping voice-overs.
7) Because they were needed, clearly.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Y'all know it was based on a comic book, right?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Y'all know it was based on a comic book, right?

When it comes to originality in blockbusters, I'll take what I can get at this point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still prefer the original title.

http://graphicpolicy.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/all-you-need-is-kill.jpg

Last edited by Eddie (2014-06-06 18:23:15)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Still prefer the original title.

http://graphicpolicy.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/all-you-need-is-kill.jpg

That sounds like a black metal remix of a Beatles song.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was thinking more Oscar Bluth:

All you need is kills,
lots and lots of killy kills.
Your scoped gun-sight,
goes left, not right,
so just kill!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I thought this was awesome. There might be some fridge-logic stuff I notice later, but I dont mind atm.

Had a lot of fun with this one :D

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Loved it. It's everything we're always asking for movies to be in the show. Sharp, sense of humor, tightly paced, clear and constantly escalating stakes, telling a human story, exploring the concept without belaboring the point, with visual effects serving the story and not the reverse, and an unsexualized female mentor character who doesn't exist solely as a love interest or to go to pieces at the 11th hour just to make the main character seem more heroic by contrast. This is the new gold standard for blockbusters.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Interesting enough, the film was originally called the comic book title All You Need Is Kill then they switched it to We Mortals Are and then they decided on Edge of Tomorrow. Out of all three, Edge of Tomorrow is probably the most marketable, the other two sound like bad translations in a video game.

I was uninterested in seeing it after I read the script last year but with all the good things I'm hearing, I'll check it out sometime in the next week or two.

Oh my bob. I... wow.

I cannot remember the last time I walked out of the cinema on such a high. This film... didn't do anything to disappointment me. It made me laugh, a lot. The action scenes served the story and the comedy, and the drama. It didn't talk down to me. I... I love this movie. I'm grateful that I saw it.

And I'm gonna go see it again.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Judging from the response this has gotten, I feel like I may have to give it a second watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a good time. Enjoyed the humor and action and lack of fridge logic in ways that push it over Oblivion despite the production design (that tech looked gorgeous; these suits looked really clunky).

It amazes me the way Cruise consistently finds interesting properties where he can play charming but utterly soulless characters. Cage has an enormous arc and yet still hardly seems human in the end.

The only real logical problem I had was the initial setup. The British general just randomly fucks with this American PR officer who is on TV all the time for no apparent reason. The mechanics of a front-line general getting this foreign guy reassigned without his knowledge was nonsensical.

Also Cage wouldn't blackmail him; he'd just go make some phone calls and get strings pulled. You don't get to be the military's spokesman without making friends in high places. And also none of the soldiers later recognize him from the news; that's strange.

By the way, if you're looking for sources that inspired this, see James Garner in The Americanization of Emily. He's the aide of an admiral who has a nervous breakdown and orders him to get a camera and shoot the D-Day invasion to catch the first death on film, only he's a coward and a playboy.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, I echo that as my only criticism.  In any kind of military setting, you don't put a deserter on the front line.  Historically, it leads to more loss of life on the battlefield.  If a guy doesn't know how to turn the s afety off of his weapon, he is extraordinarily dangerous on the battlefield.

That aside, I really, REALLY enjoyed it.  Rachel did too.  It was sic-fi not because of Laser Booms, but because it used a futuristic premise to dive deep into Cruise and Blunt as characters.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They DID put criminals on the front line in WW II, much to the annoyance of the regular troops. It made it seem like fighting for your country was a punishment, so what did that mean to those who signed up?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

They DID put criminals on the front line in WW II, much to the annoyance of the regular troops. It made it seem like fighting for your country was a punishment, so what did that mean to those who signed up?

Edge of Tomorrow draws pretty heavily from WWII, so I'm willing to buy this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

It amazes me the way Cruise consistently finds interesting properties where he can play charming but utterly soulless characters. Cage has an enormous arc and yet still hardly seems human in the end.

I think that is the main reason why this movie will be forgotten relatively quickly by the general masses (apart from the low box office numbers and the dumb title). It's a great ride, very well paced and interesting. It's hard to find anything really wrong with it. But it's not going to affect people like many other movies, even a lot of worse movies do. This movie is better than Transformers, but I can connect with Sam Witwicky deeper than I can with Cage. Shia Labeouf may not be the reason people go to see Transformers, but he solidifies an emotional connection with the movie.

I think Edge of Tomorrow will live on as a movie that people use to compare box office numbers with crappy hit blockbusters and ask what the world is coming to.

That said, I loved it and want to see it again.

Last edited by Sam F (2014-06-10 20:07:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oblivion ends with the hot woman being greeted by a Tom Cruise she hasn't met before, after the previous Tom Cruise made the ultimate sacrifice by suicide-bombing the boss alien.
Edge of Tomorrow: ditto

Here's the box office mojo comparison... http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ … escifi.htm

Meanwhile, any Marvel movie makes 3X-4X what these "original" non-franchise sci-fi movies do.

Last edited by avatar (2014-06-11 22:10:53)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oblivion ends with the hot woman being greeted by a Tom Cruise she hasn't met before, after the previous Tom Cruise made the ultimate sacrifice by suicide-bombing the boss alien.
Edge of Tomorrow: ditto

That's an interesting observation. I think Cruise is trying to think on a hero's-journey scale lately. And his pet ideas are about a man-and-woman team and self-sacrifice, which got him interested at a second go at those themes.

On the other hand, I think a lot of very good film makers do variations on a theme. Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, Christopher Nolan, and Alfred Hitchcock films are very often more like their sibling films than these two examples.

EDIT: Or you could figure that TC is advertising for another wife with the message "you and I are a great team; you just don't know it yet."

Last edited by Zarban (2014-06-12 01:19:28)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

This movie is awesome, loved it!
Impressive as all hell technically too. Elysium had 2 mech-suits, this thing has like 10-20 real actors in suits running around in most of the action sequences, and they look great. The B-roll on it is pretty nuts actually:

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Apparently this is the Starship Troopers movie I always wanted. Good stuff, bullet smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down