Topic: Transformers 2 nostalgia

I know that this has been beaten to the death it so VERY much deserves. But I couldn't help but want to post this here. The folks over at screen junkies do that great Honest Trailers video. This week they did Transformers 2.

I did just re-listen to this episode and not only did the Boyz hit the nail on the head it's just funny to see that they're not the only ones seeing the same problems. Anywho, I know I don't say much around here but I just wanted to share. Enjoy. I know I did.

Last edited by Nathan M (2014-06-17 19:38:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transformers 2 nostalgia

Oh my god that's much better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't always agree with Mark Kermode but his rants about shit I hate are so well articulated and entertaining that I love the guy.

It's funny that this thread starts when both CinemaSins and SFDebris release videos about this series:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/transformers2.php

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

It's funny that this thread starts when both CinemaSins and SFDebris release videos about this series:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/transformers2.php

Wait for it...here it comes...

http://i.imgur.com/gnRDn.gif

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we just delete this thread and pretend it never happened? You're simultaneously reminding me that Transformers 2, Everything Wrong With..., and Honest Trailers are all things that exist and are popular, and I just want to close my eyes and go back to sleep.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oh boy, yeah. I was watching the music video for The Goonies yesterday, and on the sidebar was a video entitled "Everything wrong with The Goonies in 8 minutes or less".

It was 10 minutes and 46 seconds long.

[Tina Fey eyeroll]

edit: [Tina Feyeroll]

Last edited by Herc (2014-06-23 20:59:18)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I don't see what's so repulsive about Honest Trailers and CinemaSins. Yes, a lot of the points they make are cheap or invalid, but they can be fun to watch if you don't take them as serious critique. I tend to just brush off the lame stuff and have fun with the rest of it.

It's purely entertainment, not a Tomatometer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Film Crit Hulk put it pretty well in this column.

Here's a de-capitalization site if ALL CAPS makes your eyes hurt.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

Oh boy, yeah. I was watching the music video for The Goonies yesterday, and on the sidebar was a video entitled "Everything wrong with The Goonies in 8 minutes or less".

[Tina Fey eyeroll]

Clearly you've never actually bothered to watch the thing you're hating on as there is typically at least 2+ minutes of random funny dubbed clips from the movie after the actual Sins tally.

And seriously, why...no...how on earth could anyone actually think CinemaSins was trying to be some great bastion of Cinema critique? It's funny, it's exagerated, you laugh at it, and maybe there's one or two things along the way that have some legit merit and you hadn't thought of before.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Fairy 'nuff. Duly noted.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Herc wrote:

[Tina Fey eyeroll]

Clearly you've never actually bothered to watch the thing you're hating on as there is typically at least 2+ minutes of random funny dubbed clips from the movie after the actual Sins tally.

And seriously, why...no...how on earth could anyone actually think CinemaSins was trying to be some great bastion of Cinema critique? It's funny, it's exagerated, you laugh at it, and maybe there's one or two things along the way that have some legit merit and you hadn't thought of before.

Cop-out excuse. The fact is that these videos dilute criticism in a frankly dangerous way. It'd be like if I became a famous architect because my childish doodles of buildings got insanely popular, and then I said, "Haha, but seriously, I'm just kidding around! All this is meaningless!" The CinemaSins/Honest Trailers people have demonstrated time and time again that this is how they think films should be looked at, and thousands upon thousands of people apparently agree. Fuck those guys.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The CinemaSins/Honest Trailers people have demonstrated time and time again that this is how they think films should be looked at, and thousands upon thousands of people apparently agree. Fuck those guys.

If you watch Screen Junkies' other content with Hal and the gang, it is evident that that is not their point of view on film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The CinemaSins/Honest Trailers people have demonstrated time and time again that this is how they think films should be looked at..

I'm really curious where this came from. Is there some sort of "outside their videos" ranting going on that I don't know about, or is it just because they keep making those really successful video series that I'm sure are making them a fair bit of money? And that people keep watching because they enjoy watching them?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-23 22:47:32)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm thinking specifically of this video, which someone linked me to a few weeks ago.

"Haha get it?! These films are 'pointless' because they don't have traditional plot structures!" Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it just makes me pull my hair out. And I'm not even a big Malick fan myself. But at least I'm not so stupid that I reduce such enormously complex works of art to "LOL it's just shots of nature and meaningless philosophy!!!"

And besides, the fact that they're indulging in "plot hole" bullshit so strongly is enough evidence for me that they're morons.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-06-23 22:53:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, frankly I think this stuff is insidious garbage polluting pop-culture. I hate their philosophy, I hate this approach to poking at movies, I hate that they're extremely popular to the point that people take them seriously (and they do, I've met many people who point to these videos as some kind of legitimate criticism).

Even beyond that, it's blatant click-bait bullshit, taking the most popular thing of the moment and making a dumb youtube video about it that contributes nothing of value, except that it generates millions of clicks and thousands in ad revenue. It's beyond cynical.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Even beyond that, it's blatant click-bait bullshit, taking the most popular thing of the moment and making a dumb youtube video about it that contributes nothing of value, except that it generates millions of clicks and thousands in ad revenue. It's beyond cynical.

At this point, most content is click-bait. People have to draw attention and make money. Some click-bait is worth clicking, some isn't. I tend to enjoy the honest trailers well enough. So I click and watch.

Last edited by Sam F (2014-06-24 00:18:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoy both (generally CinemaSins more than Honest Trailers but that's not meant to take away from HT at all, just personal preference). They poke fun and frankly if someone think they're supposed to be serious then joke's on them.

The most serious I've taken a CinemaSins episode as a form of criticism was, "Wow, Jurassic Park only had 37, that's crazy low."

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

I enjoy both (generally CinemaSins more than Honest Trailers but that's not meant to take away from HT at all, just personal preference). They poke fun and frankly if someone think they're supposed to be serious then joke's on them.

The most serious I've taken a CinemaSins episode as a form of criticism was, "Wow, Jurassic Park only had 37, that's crazy low."

It really really really doesn't matter whether or not they're supposed to be serious. The "issues" they raise aren't invented, and the presentation of these "plot holes" as "sins" is a destructive attitude when it comes to film (or any art, really). And even if it were all just a joke, people take it seriously. So I couldn't give less of a shit what the creators of these videos think they're doing, though I doubt they're any smarter than these videos make them out to be. People watch these videos and think, "Yeah, that's the right way to look at film." And it's appealing because, unlike a lot of art criticism, it resembles "analysis" without actually requiring any thought to come up with.

If you enjoy them, please understand that I'm not insulting your or your taste or anything like that. I'm confident that everyone on this forum is smart enough not to take these videos seriously. But I'm not confident that the rest of their viewers are.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For what it's worth, I find Honest Trailers far less annoying than CinemaSins; they tend to focus more on actual issues than stupid stuff like continuity errors and pseudo-plot holes.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Boter wrote:

It really really really doesn't matter whether or not they're supposed to be serious. The "issues" they raise aren't invented, and the presentation of these "plot holes" as "sins" is a destructive attitude when it comes to film (or any art, really). And even if it were all just a joke, people take it seriously. So I couldn't give less of a shit what the creators of these videos think they're doing, though I doubt they're any smarter than these videos make them out to be. People watch these videos and think, "Yeah, that's the right way to look at film." And it's appealing because, unlike a lot of art criticism, it resembles "analysis" without actually requiring any thought to come up with.

If you enjoy them, please understand that I'm not insulting your or your taste or anything like that. I'm confident that everyone on this forum is smart enough not to take these videos seriously. But I'm not confident that the rest of their viewers are.

Well, it is nice to know that I am not being insulted wink

For me, it is fun. Pure and simple. I don't take it as film criticism, because it is not. It is hyperbole, exaggerating both the film's faults and their responses for the sake of (subjective) comedic effect. SF Debris will do similar jokes, but that isn't the whole joke, and offers more analysis.

CinemaSins, for what it is worth, also focus on plot holes that have generally bothered the panelists here too. Aspects of Prometheus, Transformers, Chronicles of Riddick, all have points made about them that I have heard on this show.

I don't know. But, like most comedy, should it really be taken so seriously?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:
Boter wrote:

For me, it is fun. Pure and simple. I don't take it as film criticism, because it is not. It is hyperbole, exaggerating both the film's faults and their responses for the sake of (subjective) comedic effect. SF Debris will do similar jokes, but that isn't the whole joke, and offers more analysis.

CinemaSins, for what it is worth, also focus on plot holes that have generally bothered the panelists here too. Aspects of Prometheus, Transformers, Chronicles of Riddick, all have points made about them that I have heard on this show.

Just because you don't take it as film criticism doesn't mean that most of their fans don't, and that's what upsets me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Just because you don't take it as film criticism doesn't mean that most of their fans don't, and that's what upsets me.

Got it. Just making sure I understand.

I'm just wondering where the line gets drawn with regards to comedy. I guess not all comedy is funny and certainly doesn't excuse jokes in poor taste. But, at the same time, at what point do we not excuse it as a joke? When it becomes a negative influence?

Please note this as a genuine question. not sarcasm.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Michael Bay Traded To Afghanistan For Five Taliban Film and TV Directors

http://hollywoodandswine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/michael-bay.jpg

http://hollywoodandswine.com/michael-ba … directors/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down