Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Vapes wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

To be fairer, Marvel's featured Black Widow really prominently in the past few years, she apparently has a very big role in the new Captain America, and I'd be shocked if she didn't get a solo film in Phase 3.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6pe8lEse21rrov60o1_500.png
[crosses fingers]

Marvel Studios Developing Stand-Alone Black Widow Film

Nothing is confirmed or anything, but there's basically no way this isn't happening.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-02-21 19:55:21)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Vapes wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

To be fairer, Marvel's featured Black Widow really prominently in the past few years, she apparently has a very big role in the new Captain America, and I'd be shocked if she didn't get a solo film in Phase 3.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6pe8lEse21rrov60o1_500.png
[crosses fingers]

Marvel Studios Developing Stand-Alone Black Widow Film

Nothing is confirmed or anything, but there's basically no way this isn't happening.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=68075458
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/violetrosesky/26585589/4272/4272_original.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdm5upf1k01rw29eto2_500.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been consistently enjoying Marvel movies to just go ahead and see them whenever a new one comes out. Thor 1 is at the bottom of my list, but I didn't dislike it. I just don't want to watch it more than once. I really liked Thor 2.

Chris Pratt and John C Reilly are both actors that I'll watch whatever they're in, so that helps too.

I'm glad this movie is going for bizarre tongue-in-cheek humor. It's refreshing whenever we get something that isn't dark and gritty.

Really enjoyed the trailer, but I'm still not 100% convinced. I'll give it a shot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To me it is obvious - this is the next Star Wars. I'll be there opening day.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2014-06-24 10:37:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is it a record to have the same video clip posted in three threads?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I saw this tonight at a pre-screening and I really enjoyed it! Here's my copy-pasted thoughts from Letterboxd:

Despite some ABYSMAL 3D projection that made the movie unwatchable for the first 10 minutes, until I figured out that flipping the glasses upside-down fixed everything, this is the most I've enjoyed a Marvel movie in a while. Gunn's direction is far more dynamic (and visually coherent) than Winter Soldier and the story is comprehensible unlike in Thor: The Dark World. All these Marvel movies have identical visual palettes, but the outer space setting allows for some really fun production design. You can tell that they've been waiting to do this one for a while.

The script is what really shines, though. Tellingly, it's also the area where Gunn seems to have been allowed free reign. The titular Guardians are actual, honest-to-god characters, rather than Quip Machines, and everything about them comes from deep-seated pain. Forget Avengers 2, give me more of these guys. The movie nails it tonally, too. There are touches here and there of self-aware humor, but it doesn't dominate the film. Give me more of this over the barrage of solemn self-serious blockbusters we're constantly subjected to these days. This movie embraces its silliness, but never loses its heart.

I was close to giving this 3.5 stars, because the space battles are dull and it's disappointingly beholden to the rest of the Marvel Universe, but you know what? Fuck it. I got a real kick out of this film. I'm willing to bet you will too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think they also announced an animated series, although the characters have appeared in other animated shows.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Show
If you're a fan of a certain Marvel owned duck,
I implore you to stay after the credits.
  Show
http://i.imgur.com/qER4Go3.jpg

Last edited by KayRule (2014-07-30 09:08:18)

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc's Understatement Cornerrrrr!

Gosh! What an entertaining and satisfying movie. And oh, how we laughed! I would greatly enjoy watching it again.

Herc's (spoiler-free) Fair-and-Balanced Cornerrrr!

Show
This did everything it intended to do, it did it well, and it did with charm and good humour, without overstaying its welcome. A thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi romp that so effortlessly buys goodwill that it would be almost churlish to give too much weight to any criticisms. There possibly are criticisms to make, don't get me wrong, but they're hard to spot and easy to dismiss. And the sense of humour delivered just as I'd hoped. From time to time I do leave a cinema pleasantly surprised, but this is the first time in a long time, if ever, that I had high expectations and had them matched. Lovely smile

Herc's (spoiler-free) Hyperbole Cornerrrrr!

Show
I ejaculated.

Last edited by Herc (2014-07-31 22:07:58)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Best movie of the decade....

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

During the opening credit sequence, I really thought this was going to be a movie I would love. That sequence is one of the most hilariously clever scenes I've seen in years.

But - that sequence (and another that comes just before the end credits) were the high points of the movie.  The rest of it settled into being a movie I liked a lot, but had two major recurring problems that kept me from loving it.   

That said, GotG is easily the best one of these things I've seen other than Avengers, and also better than most any movie that's come out recently.  I still give Avengers the edge for being a better movie overall, but GotG is more consistently funny and visually inventive.  And the soundtrack hit me right in the nostalgias, o'course.

Summation - thumbs up.  Lotta good stuff and well worth a watch.

If anyone cares what two things didn't work for me, here they are.

SPOILER Show
1. The plot.  Ten minutes in, I gave up trying to figure out wtf was happening.  There was a war (?) and two sisters wanted to impress their father but they weren't sisters and he wasn't their father and they actually hated him and each other too so they had a fight that nobody won.  There were also eleven different bad guys who were sometimes good guys and one bad guy was only in one scene so I guess he'll be in a sequel, and seven crystals that rule the universe or something and holy fuckballs, movie, what the hell ARE you doing? 

I suspect if I was familiar with the comics I might have said ah, yes, yes, this is all very familiar and makes perfect sense.  But coming into it cold, I didn't understand a damn thing.  More than one review has called the movie "overstuffed" and that's a very good word.   The good news is, it didn't matter.  Everyone wanted the Magic 8-Ball, that was all the plot I really needed to know. 

And if that had been my only problem I still might have loved the movie.  But:

2.  That damn raccoon.  Hated hated hated that raccoon.  On the PAGE he was hilarious but I couldn't get past the  animation and the voice.   

It was a red flag when I heard Bradley Cooper was going to do the voice of an animated thing in this movie.  Bradley Cooper is a fine actor from all reports.  But - like Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones and other movie stars that have been miscast as cartoon voices - you look at Bradley Cooper, you don't listen to him.   

At least he was trying to do a character voice here, and it wasn't terrible, but it was basically a Denis Leary impression, so why not get Denis Leary?  There's a reason those Ice Age movies keep making money, even though nobody would make a live action movie starring those same actors.  They have distinctive, cartoon-ready character voices.  Bradley Cooper, not so much.

And even the voice I might have dealt with, but there was something about the animation that I just couldn't.  I'd have to watch it multiple times to maybe put my finger on it - and obviously I'm pickier about character animation than most folks - but I just cringed every time Rocket was on screen.  He was rendered just fine, and like the voice the animation wasn't terrible by any means.  But there was just something off about him for me.  Consistently.

Rocket worked for me for exactly ONE WORD in the movie.  And I'll bet you that one word got a laugh in your theater the same way it did in mine - because that one word was when the animation and the voice both totally worked.  The word was "minutiae", and I bet you remember that moment, too.

Again, I'm a tough audience for animated photo-real characters, but in my defense Rocket was the only character that I had that problem with.  Meanwhile, I kept forgetting Groot was ALSO an animated character.  I loved Groot, he never DIDN'T work for me - and as for his voice, if all Vin Diesel ever did in his career was The Iron Giant and Groot, I'd still give him a star on the Walk of Fame.  Perfection.  I goddamn teared up when he wove that survival basket firefly lifeboat dealie.  Fuckin' Groot.  Who knew?

Trey, for your first point:

Show
Oh boy, if you didn't like that, you're probably not gonna like it in the rest of the Marvel movies. All of them are building up to Thanos (big blue fella) wanting those 6 (is it 6?) magic beans so he can presumably rule over everything. It's stupid, but it's a famous comic storyline (infinity gauntlet, right, people?) and it's an easy way to give all the disparate movies a common throughline (eventually).
I kinda black-boxed it for this movie. I think you got it right. Whatever they say on screen, just think of it as "bad guy wants the Magic 8-Ball, good guy tries to stop them".

Last edited by Herc (2014-08-01 12:11:55)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I didn't like Rocket either, Trey. He was the lowlight of the group, which is weird because I'm sure they intended him to be the breakout character. I think Groot and Drax were the real scene-stealers. Drax in particular, who had by far the funniest line in the movie:

Show
Rocket: Metaphors are gonna go over his head.

Drax: Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

But - like Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones and other movie stars that have been miscast as cartoon voices - you look at Bradley Cooper, you don't listen to him.

I think this is where I'd have the advantage, as I honestly don't know what Bradley Cooper looks like. Or, to be more exact, I stopped paying attention to which person on screen had which name in the credits long ago. Too much work, and the new "stars" were only lasting a year or two anyway. Everyone, even those who get top billing, are a "that guy!" to me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well my point is that Bradley Cooper doesn't have a distinctive voice - he's DOING a voice as Rocket.  But there are lots of voiceover actors out there who can DO voices.   I don't think Bradley Cooper has much background at that.

For me, if you're going to cast a character voice, get a voiceover talent who does voices well... or cast a name who has a distinctive voice.  Ray Romano wasn't "doing" a voice to play that mammoth - that IS his voice. And it fit the character perfectly.     

Rocket might have been really interesting if voiced by Emo Phillips or Wanda Sykes or Gary Shandling or Tim Curry or Steve Buscemi...

boom, there it is.  Steve Buscemi would have been my ideal Rocket voice.

Ya Buscemi woulda been perfect for that

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Well my point is that Bradley Cooper doesn't have a distinctive voice - he's DOING a voice as Rocket.  But there are lots of voiceover actors out there who can DO voices.   I don't think Bradley Cooper has much background at that.

I think nowadays they're at the point where if it's a live action movie they get a live action actor. That he will be replaced later by CGI is secondary. Maybe they wanted his on set improv skills, who knows. We don't know who else was up for the part. I'll go in assuming he is some nameless voice actor and judge it that way smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I definitely understand Trey's first point - because as a huge fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics (and more importantly the storylines that lead before the team got their own book) it was way easier for me to get. I know these characters, items and events, so it's more just seeing how they're slotted in to this take on the universe, and while I really enjoyed the film as a whole, there was a niggling feeling in the back of my mind about how confused people who weren't me were.

As a fan of the series, I was just happy to be in a theater watching a movie of this property, as I never in a million years would have thought it would happen. While waiting for the post-credit scene two kids next to me talked excitedly about the characters (mainly Groot, Rocket and Drax) and it validated my entire investment in the series for me.

X-Files.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Trey wrote:

I think nowadays they're at the point where if it's a live action movie they get a live action actor. That he will be replaced later by CGI is secondary. Maybe they wanted his on set improv skills, who knows. We don't know who else was up for the part. I'll go in assuming he is some nameless voice actor and judge it that way smile

Sean Gunn was the on-set actor for Rocket, and he did a more cockney voice on set. Bradley did the voice pretty much after all the filming was done, but his recordings were recorded and used by animators to add his mannerisms.

Sean Gunn was also the on-set actor for Thanos, before Brolin was cast, however they went back and did mocap and facial capture for Brolin because he's going to be physically playing him in later films, but Lee Pace played opposite of Sean for the scene where he turns around.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have to remember the actors from the first wave of films signed contracts that only committed them to a certain number of films. Once those are up, I'm sure Marvel has a plan to blow the movie universe up and recast everyone. This could be the start of that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, the movie was great.

Huge points to this new cover of Backstory.

https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/IdiR_m20l99ueN0mfy2aSx8LNj89Bil3BH_jbjDCqT63i4_3ORbkhHCJpA5nwk9NWqS0q9n0iv80PqO7YdmaIekeVUxsVwwg13LK3doK30bEWcBDaJucgXztZZ600vwc2iHLlzWl_wV9abvTUIYB16VRYdmDn0kNki5Oog=s0-d-e1-ft#http://staticapp.icpsc.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/863919/700fd7a74cb21f48438fa3c4670dee26/image/jpeg

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_full/v1397848732/footloose-movie-poster.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

You have to remember the actors from the first wave of films signed contracts that only committed them to a certain number of films. Once those are up, I'm sure Marvel has a plan to blow the movie universe up and recast everyone. This could be the start of that.

Nah, you know they'll have RDJ and Chris Evans on solid-gold leashes until the end of time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Invid wrote:

Nah, you know they'll have RDJ and Chris Evans on solid-gold leashes until the end of time.

Cloning technology should be perfected by then.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That movie was *awesome*

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Was a lot of fun! All the characters worked for me and I liked the tone.
^_^

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down