Re: The Fifth Element

This is off topic now but i watched the animé version last night and... holy crap i loved it! I was surprised by how raunchy it was. If i hadn't read the wiki article first i wouldn't have understood the story, and it ends halfway through (like the animated LotR), and it's misogynistic but i still liked it. Maybe it was the novelty of a genre i hadn't seen animated before. Kinda like The Maltese Falcon but really hardboiled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

New forum rules. Posts that include the phrase "I just watched" without also including a link, or a pointer of the form "It's on Netflix" or something, are now banned.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's not fair, i had to find it the hard way. As Tom Noonan sez in Heat, "They beam this stuff all over the fucking place."

And there's no way this is on netflix (which just opened it's free streaming thing in Canada today, too bad the selection is really small).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Attention: The person responsible for banning posts that fail to link to cool things has been banned.

Look at all the things I can do to Jeff's little world.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The person responsible for sacking the person who allows people to use scary red text has been sacked!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm aware that we're making a Monty Python reference.

But I've added him to the user group "Peons Under Teague's Control."

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I ain't scared.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, maybe I'm a little scared. Mommy?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

♫ Battle of the Heroes ♫

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never sought out the animated version of Sanctuary, as like I said the live action version is good. In both cases production probably started before the comic ended, but the movie stops at a satisfying place. Rereading the manga I'm three volumes in, and it really is fun seeing an insider's take on another country's politics. The whole "we have to destroy the economy and bring in cheap foreign labor so the Japanese youth will get off their lazy butts and be strong again" angle is fun. The proud Japanese are now office slaves ruled by old men, and these two guys want to make it a society they'll be proud to live in. The fact that in real life it took over another decade for one party rule to be seriously challenged and young leaders to rise up also makes and interesting counterpoint to the story.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That was blue on blue, not blue on red, you poseur!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HELP MY MOUSE IS MOVING BY ITSELF. I scared.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2686/ahahahar.jpg

And now back to normal. I am a good person.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

heehee. Jeff got in trouble. *raspberry*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has Teague finally cracked?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Finally"?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am so fucking confused.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

ok...... back to the Fifth Element. Just a little fact- Lee Evans is a very popular stand up comedian in the U.K. He's quite manic and physical on stage and has sold out venues here for the past 15 years or so. He was also in There's Something About Mary but nobody has really been able to find him a role suitable for his talents. He's much beter on stage, although he is possibly a required taste.

Alright, I'll admit it, I'm bored big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well. He is from Bristol, after all. Certain allowances must be made.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So this episode convinced me to watch Fifth Element for the first time. Somehow the episode managed to not spoil me at all. Still completely unsure of what I thought. It certainly had some amazing moments, but I think it flew between comedy and serious a BIT too much.

BTW:

Those 'Japanese schoolgirls' were, clearly, Chinese.

I believe my new drinking game will involve DIFF's Asian cultural insensitivity.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-09-28 09:31:32)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'll admit to cringing myself when I hear people mistake various Asian cultures.  Between Martial Arts, Buddhism, and having a half chinese brother, I gotta represent.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DIFF? We're gonna talk about making subtle errors and you abbreviate Down in Front to DIFF?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

DIFF? We're gonna talk about making subtle errors and you abbreviate Down in Front to DIFF?

Saying that China/Japan is a 'subtle' error is exactly what I'm talking about.

You may as well call Jon Stewart a British comedian.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-09-24 07:13:32)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wonder how many times this thread will get derailed.

Alright, I'll bite.

It's a stereotype for a reason. I have literally no ability to distinguish between people of any Asian heritages. I can't pick any one out from any other. That's clearly cultural, because as an English-speaking Caucasian, I have absolutely no problem distinguishing between heritages of other English-speaking Caucasians. Jon Stewart and John Oliver could both be American or British in a picture, but once they open their mouths, yep, one's an American and one's a Brit.

I'm also going to say, for that reason, there's no shame whatsoever in that inability to distinguish. There's also only barely measurable condescension power in being able to. It's not much knowledge to have, I just don't have it, because I haven't ever had a reason to.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad at least Eddie knows what I'm talking about.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down