Re: The Future of Star Wars

Yeah, let's not pretend that quality (or perceived quality) will have ANY impact on box office here. There's no way this isn't the biggest movie of all time.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Yeah, let's not pretend that quality (or perceived quality) will have ANY impact on box office here. There's no way this isn't the biggest movie of all time.

I have to agree. Even people I know who couldn't care less about Star Wars in general, KNOW about the Disney buyout, and have at least some awareness of the new movies and series.

The Disney buyout added a MASSIVE element of unknown to the entire equation, people with even a passing interest in Star Wars (Which is pretty much the majority of the entire population of planet earth let's be honest here) are curious to see what is going to happen to Star Wars, what it's going to look like.

Most of those people aren't going to give a shit about puppets, or JJ, or sets or prequels vs OT vs New trilogy or even the almighty tomatometer.... but it's Disney making Star Wars, they'll be curious, and they'll go see it.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-25 03:07:19)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

fireproof78 wrote:

Also, Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are smarter than many give it credit for.

Yeah, they're just held to a higher standard because it's Star Trek.

As someone who's never seen a minute of Trek other than the Abrams movies, I like them a lot (the first one more than the second).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Also, Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are smarter than many give it credit for.

Yeah, they're just held to a higher standard because it's Star Trek.

As someone who's never seen a minute of Trek other than the Abrams movies, I like them a lot (the first one more than the second).

I think with Abrams there is a level of subtlety that either works well for me, or is something that I just pick up on and wish I could really communicated in a better way. Something about Kirk and Spock really connect with me, and make me hope that whatever new characters hit me in a similar way. Heck, even one act characters like George Kirk, Captain Robeau Noel Clark's character, Harewood (wasn't sure anyone knew his name wink ) present an interesting moment for the character in crisis.

I think Abrams can do something with the new characters, and bring an "everyman" quality that Luke had in Episode IV. Once he gets those new characters established, it might be more palatable.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey guys, I really enjoyed this episode.

I didn't watch Star Wars until I was about 12 or so, so I missed out on it being a defining childhood experience. And as an adult, no offense, but I've found Star Wars fandom really insufferable (you know, being super-precious about it, everyone insisting their interpretation of what Star Wars "is", is the right interpretation, the endless fanwank etc), and have grown to resent it quite a bit.

BUT! This cast has actually made me feel kinda optimistic about the future. I agree that Disney expanding it and opening up the universe and generally being willing to experiment is really gonna be a good thing. Experimentation is good anyway, but also Sturgeon's Law means that the good 10% is gonna be a lot more prevalent. So yeah, cheers.

P.S. I agree with whoever suggested a Star Wars murder-mystery. So much yes. I just wish Peter Falk were still alive for it.

Last edited by Herc (2014-06-25 13:16:32)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Having finally gotten around to watching the video version of this episode, I have to warn Dorkman that someone seems to be messing with his timeline. His hand keeps vanishing, then reappearing. This may require quick action involving a guitar and a Mr. Fusion.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I don't know about Teague's box office predictions of it.  Certainly it will do well, but I'm definitely getting a sense that
1.  There are increasingly more people who have never seen Star Wars (bumped into a lot of them in the past 5 years or so).
2.  Among the Star Wars fans I know, there's definitely a "meh" feeling about the new Star Wars movies.

Who knows, maybe advance screenings of it will get utterly rave reviews and every one will flip out.  If I was to guess at a domestic box office. id say...hmmmm....well somewhere between 500 and 550 M..which is ROTS scaled to modern prices plus10% on top.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LEAKED page of new Episode VII script revision!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqrHl8-CQAANIx0.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

*slaps forehead*

Of course, it's so much easier to use pink text than pink pages!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought of something the other day. Episode VII might not open with the Disney logo... the Marvel movie only have the Marvel logo, so Episode VII might only have Lucas film.
I don't know why but that thought made me happy.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I hadn't heard anything about the Max Landis GB3 idea, but holy cow is that a terrible idea. It has the Ghostbusters forgotten again, brings back Gozer (CAUSED by a failed Ghostbuster), and features a slick Michael Bay Ghostbuster team to be rivals with the blue collar heroes (Twister, anyone?). I was actually kind of okay with the opening that revealed some of the origin of Ivo Shandor and Slimer, altho it's not necessary.

The James Bond stuff is interesting. The early Bonds were spy movies, not action movies, and modeled closely on real-life spy stuff from WW2 and the Cold War. EON struck gold with Goldfinger and never looked back. But the Mission: Impossible TV show feature COPIOUS amounts of sneaking. There are endless scenes several minutes long with no dialog; just snare drums and sneaking.

Also, it's so weird how you guys meant to say "The Monster Squad" but you kept saying "The Goonies" for some reason.

/never say die

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

My big diasgreement I think is with the contention that we won't have to care. Sure, I won't have to care about spinoff movies - I look forward to Jo'gurl Sala'mii but I mean I keep forgetting that Rebels even exists - but I feel like I'll still have to care about the main line movies. Eps VII through IX need to be good and I need to enjoy them at least as much as the prequels*.

*Yes, I enjoyed the prequels. Just not as much as the OT. AotC was the worst and can we agree that TPM at least felt the closest to the OT? No? Okay, never mind that part then. Continuing on.

I want to enjoy them at least as good action adventure movies. They don't have to be classics - I'll always have the OT. But I want to enjoy them as much as I enjoyed Transformers or Pacific OW STOP HITTING ME

Really though. Boba Fett spinoff egh maybe if I have time to catch it. Zany Guiardians of the Galaxy style, could probably try to see it. But main line VII to IX need to be really really good, so the pressure is still there.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

Eps VII through IX need to be good and I need to enjoy them at least as much as the prequels

I want to enjoy them as much as I enjoyed Transformers or Pacific OW STOP HITTING ME

If that's your bar, I think you'll be fine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree that the mainline needs to be maintained, though I am curious as to the contractual obligations being foisted upon Ford, Fisher and Hamill. I mean, if Disney's plan is to turn movies every couple of years, then does that include the main 3?

For me, the way E7 is handled will determine my future investment in the series. I was not all that in to Clone Wars, though it is slowly interesting me. The prequels continue to decrease in my estimation as time goes on.

I think the film will succeed if it gets me excited and interested again in a film franchise. Star Wars has evolved so far past the films and TV series that the idea of a movie is less enjoyable to me than perhaps it would have been even a couple of years ago.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

For me, the way E7 is handled will determine my future investment in the series.

You liked Into Darkness, you've got the better chance of liking it out of all of us wink

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

For me, the way E7 is handled will determine my future investment in the series.

You liked Into Darkness, you've got the better chance of liking it out of all of us wink

While that's a fair assessment, I think Abrams has a greater chance of screwing this up than he did with Star Trek (or worse, depending on your point of view with Star Trek).

Abrams is a Star Wars fan boy, so while he may understand the material better and be more invested, he might be too close to this franchise to make proper decisions.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

I doubt anyone could make a similar trailer out of the prequels.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/uexc_attach/men-in-tights-gauntlet-slap.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Faldor wrote:
Trey wrote:

I doubt anyone could make a similar trailer out of the prequels.

And so my point has been proven.   Not nearly as much humor to draw from, and what humor there is, is kinda lame.

Finally listened to this episode, and was generally surprised at the optimism.  I know I generally am optimistic about projects and sequels and prequels. But, as much as I eager for the film, there is a certain level of hesitance on my part.

As much as people point out that I like Abrams Star Trek, there is always a concern when bringing back older cast to reprise their roles. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that the three decided to participate and this isn't essentially a Star Wars reboot but a continuation of the original trilogy. I am looking forward to seeing that, see what they are wanting to do with the universe and the story they want to tell.

As I said above, my concern is that Abrams is too close to the material and that emulation of the OT, rather than something new might be a concern. It doesn't keep me from being interested in the work, but it keeps me from being full fan boy mode and more skeptical over what the final work will be.

However, like the panelists said, it is not a solo work in the sense that are multiple people, producers and writers that have a voice, that perhaps will bear more influence than when the prequels were being made. So, there is that to be more positive about in terms of a production point of view; I will grant that point.

In addition, I do like the fact that now Star Wars movies will not be the "we have one shot to make this happen or else..." attitude, and that Disney is looking at spin-offs, and likely will explore other avenues until the point of illness on the part of fans. Be careful what you wish for and all that, but still nice to take a small amount of pressure from ruining the franchise to, "That wasn't so great. There's always the next one." (Have Star Wars fans become the new Cubs fans: https://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/ke … xt-year/).

I have more thoughts but I think that's enough for now. I'll leave everyone with this-perhaps everyone should start crafting those Star Wars scripts so they are at the ready when the spin-offs start wink

Good episode, guys. Thanks for the positive shot!

Edit:

Teague, at the end of this episode:

http://www.getmyfix.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/let-it-begin-gif.gif

Last edited by fireproof78 (2014-07-01 03:18:33)

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just randomly listening back to your first podcast on Episode I, and went to find the Casting Anakin video. They had Michael Angarano in their top 3 and didn't cast him?! He's the only one of the 3 kids that's still acting, and he was fantastic as a kid too. He didn't give the best read in the clip they showed, but neither did Jake Lloyd, and Michael went on to be great as a kid in Almost Famous, amongst other things. Although he probably looks back now with a sigh of relief that he dodged that bullet...maybe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So here's a thing.

I've seen Boyhood twice now, and if you haven't seen it, there's a scene where the boy and his dad talk about whether or not they'll ever make another Star Wars movie. They filmed that scene in 2008, so it's funny in retrospect. But both times I saw it, I was the only one who reacted.

...do normal people even know that this movie is happening? I mean, it's been almost 2 years since the project was announced. We've been talking about them not needing to do a marketing campaign, but I actually think they're going to need to go all-out, for awareness if nothing else.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

So here's a thing.

I've seen Boyhood twice now, and if you haven't seen it, there's a scene where the boy and his dad talk about whether or not they'll ever make another Star Wars movie. They filmed that scene in 2008, so it's funny in retrospect. But both times I saw it, I was the only one who reacted.

...do normal people even know that this movie is happening? I mean, it's been almost 2 years since the project was announced. We've been talking about them not needing to do a marketing campaign, but I actually think they're going to need to go all-out, for awareness if nothing else.

I think your overestimating the normal persons reaction to a throwaway line in a movie. Yes, we're likely to go "Hah, that's funny, cause they're doing a thing.", but that's cause this is a thing we actively care about.

I have yet to meet anyone, ANYONE, who doesn't, at least, know this is happening. Even my granpda knew about the new movie, and that's saying a damn lot.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-08-04 05:40:13)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Lots of people who will end up buying a ticket to Ep8--i.e. the general public--probably don't know it's happening at this time. Some non-movie-fanatics may have seen an article here or there, but many people just don't interact with the media sources in which such news runs in a constant stream.

When the trailers and TV spots and billboards drop, that's when they'll know.

I was also the only person who laughed at that part in my BOYHOOD screening. I sensed people being like "Why is he laughing so hard?" No clue.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That line actually got one of the biggest laughs at my screening, but it was at a more arthouse type cinema - so it's likely that more 'clued up' people were there. Then again, whenever I bump in to someone I haven't seen in a while, I always get asked what I think of them making a new Star Wars movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down